close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opening a jammed truck lid/cap?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Feb 14, 2010.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Ok guys. I have a Leer lid/cap on my pickup truck. The snow held it down for a few days and then the jarring I guess caused one of the struts to pop off and I had opened the lid but then placed it down to go get tools to fix the prop rod. Well, then the left latch fell off but the right one is latched and I can't get the darn thing open. The tailgate won't open because it is hitting the right side of the lid. The left side goes up about an inch but I can't get in the bed. Any ideas on how to get in and fix this? The button is stiff and it won't budge when I try to push it. I don't want to destroy the tailgate or the lid. Thanks

2. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    :alex: Best of luck.

3. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Thanks. I was just out looking at it and trying to figure out how to not muck it up. :supergrin:

4. pac201

pac201

sounds like it's in a bind, you're going to have to have another pair of hands to line (align) everything to take the pressure off the latch...

5. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

Could the stuck button be frozen in place by the cold? If so dumping some hot water on it might free it up. If it's bound up and not frozen you might try shaking the lid up and down and sideways while keeping pressure on the button.

PS - is it possible that the right side latch locked when the lid closed and you just need the key?

6. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

The lid is not locked because I used the key and locked it to see what would happen. I will try wiggling it again. It went down funny so I hope I get lucky and can get it open. I just don't want to try and get my hand under the darn thing without props...that would be a good way to lose a hand. :wow: I have not tried wiggling it or anything yet...just lots of cussing. :supergrin: It normally works but not this time. I guess if I can't get it then it will have to go to the shop tomorrow. :crying:

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

It took two of us to get it open enough to get the tailgate down. The right latch had frozen solid to the pin..so I had to order new latches. But at least the bed is usable now.

8. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

i used to coat the gasket with a healthy amount of silicone spray lube or grease in winter because i had the glass freeze to the gasket and pop twice.
    i also had the rods freeze to the side brackets once and it sucked.so i covered them in same grease to keep it from freezing,it worked as long as i had the truck.but its not pretty.
    i have done the heated key on vice grips to unfreeze a lock before.

9. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

This was not fun. Grease will have to be kept on the latches or they will corrode and lock again. I am changing the lock too. It sounds like you were an expert on the matters. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. I think it popped stuck because of riding on all that packed ice in the area..snowplows didn't do a very good job last week.