close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

open glock

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by GLW, Jul 19, 2012.

1. GLW

GLW

Several people I've talked with at matches have expressed a desire to participate in open division but were reluctant to do so because they thought they needed high priced race guns to be competitive. I have tried a number of different configurations from full race guns to stock guns with an STS mounted on the slide. I finally found what seems perfect and is a fraction the cost of a full IPSC race gun.

glock.jpg

glock 2.jpg

Obviously you could compete with your stock, iron sighted pistol but there is no denying the benefit of a dot sight. The other typical enhancements found on race guns have little practical application to an open gun for GSSF and some can even be detrimental.

I tried the STS mounted on the slide and was encouraged by that configuration until I noticed the ejecting brass was battering the front lens on the sight. Also the added mass of the sight was affecting the cycling of the slide. Finally I tried moving the sight to a Carver frame mount for the STS sight and am convinced that this is the way to go!

Nothing is attached to the slide to affect cycling. The sight does not move with the slide which helps in finding the dot and has got to be less stressful to the sight. The balance point of the gun is moved forward which improves handling. Nothing overhangs the ejection port so no modification to the gun is required. You could literally shoot your stock gun in several catagories and then slide the mount and sight on the same gun and go shoot Unlimited with a very competitive rig. The pictured gun is a stock except for the sight, skateboard tape on the grips and a (-) connector. It was used to win UL in Indy with only enough rounds through it to get the dot sighted in.

I have known Bobby Carver for decades and was using his parts before he invited me to join his team because I believe they are the best available. Give him a call to learn more about this affordable option for GSSF Open Division competition. You'll be glad you did!

Photos by Dean Whitelaw

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  2. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Great post Grady. I've been looking at getting an optic to compete in unlimited. Indy was the first place I tried unlimited. I simply tried to shoot faster, which resulted in worse times than I had in other divisions. this looks like a great setup.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. GLW

GLW

Thanks. I know that problem! The dot makes you want to shoot faster because sighting is so much easier. Unfortunately, it doesn't absolve the need for good trigger control. It is a lot of fun to shoot no matter what the score!

I'll have this gun along with a full house IPSC Open race gun at the Marietta, OH match if anyone would like to try them and compare. Just stop me and ask. Hope to see you there.

4. mike g35

mike g35

Nice setup Grady!!! Glad to hear the carver mount as opposed to the slide mount is working out for you.

5. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

That is a pretty tidy open gun - I like it. :thumbsup:

6. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Really great article Grady! I think you slammed the nail in one hit! What size STS dot did you use?

Pharaoh

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. bryandover

bryandover

Grady told me he didn't even have the battery in :rofl: he though it just looked :cool:

8. GLW

GLW

Thanks Pete,
    I like the 3.5 MOA dot. It allows for more precision with no loss of speed. I just wish the brightness was more adjustable.

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Looks like you've also added a steel guide rod.:cool:

10. mike g35

mike g35

Hey Grady, I used to have that exact same setup on my G22 open gun. The STS was great but I thought the FOV was to small so I switched to the CMore slide ride. Before that I had looked at the Deltapoint from Leupold which I really liked. What are your thoughts on the STS's FOV? Just wondering, thanks.

11. GLW

GLW

Good catch Danny. That is a steel guide rod left over from when the STS was mounted on the slide. I had been having reliability issues then and was using the steel rod to allow me to experiment with different weight recoil springs. The rod offers no competitive advantage and the gun should shoot fine with the standard Glock unit. In fact I prefer keeping things as simple and original as possible.

Mike, as far as the field of view goes, I've not tried any other sights except the larger C-more slide ride. I really like the fact that the STS does not overhang the ejection port so no modification to the slide is required. With the GSSF start with the gun in your hand and minimal transition angles, I don't find the STS limiting in any way. Dry fire practice to ensure a consistent presentation should solve any issues.

While I must confess that I do watch the dot you have to agree, it does make the gun look :cool:

12. bansheex

bansheex

I did almost the same thing on a G34 for my wife's first match coming up next month.

[​IMG]

I'm pretty excited that she is going to give it a try at Albany next weekend. I will be shooting it to.

13. BCarver

BCarver Millennium Member CLM

Grady,
    Thanks for sharing the benefits of our "new" mounting system for the Minisights like the STS, JPoint, Dr. Optics, Burris and Leupold sights.

With the setup that Grady explained, there's no need to lower the ejection port and you can make any Glock a racegun. Available August we'll have available ongoing the following new parts to convert your current CARVER mount or as a new mount:
    ** Minirail for Burris II and Burris III
    ** Minirail for Dr. Optic
    ** Minirail for STS
    ** Minirail for "new" RTS
    ** Minirail for JPoint

If you have any questions, please let me know.

We appreciate your continued support!!!

Bobby

14. bansheex

bansheex

On my setup (not shown in the pic) I added a spacer under the C-More to raise it a little. It works great, and I did not have to lower the ejection port.