close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Open Carry Rant!!

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blades012, Feb 8, 2010.

1. blades012

blades012

First off let me clarify that I am all for people protecting themselves and even open carrying.

Recently a Open Carry March took place in Lansing, MI and ended in Battle Creek (not really a march but a convoy of CPL holders). They went to some restaurants in Lansing and caused a commotion. Gave local PD some hassle and moved onto Battle Creek. Lansing PD gave BCPD a heads up and they went to a few restuarants a heads up about the group. One place posted a sign and stated "no firearms allowed on premise".

This pissed the group off and being somewhat bored I went to their forum and watched a you tube video on how Lansing PD handled the situation and then listen to them whine about BCPD.

They were asking for attention especially with one having an AR strapped to him. I don't mind people arming themselves in this manner but with this attention they will ruin it for everyone else.

Just a rant for the day.
    Thanks

2. A6Gator

A6Gator

3. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

Yea, they will ruin it eventually. If you want to protect yourself I can see that, but it seems when the guys organze/attend an event like this they are just showing off. Just my opinion... Especially a guy carrying an AK!!! WTF

4. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

http://www.wilx.com/news/headlines/83486052.html

Updated: 10:00 AM Feb 4, 2010

Gun Carriers Walk into Ponderosa Steakhouse
    They say they were simply exercising their rights

Posted: 5:15 PM Feb 3, 2010
    Reporter: Liam Martin
    Email Address: liam.martin@wilx.com

LANSING -- Quite the scene developed outside Ponderosa Steakhouse in South Lansing this past Saturday afternoon.
    About seven men walked into the restaurant, packing guns -- open for all to see in holsters on their hips. A short while later, Lansing Police showed up to show the men out.

A verbal argument between the gun carriers and officers ensued, caught on camera by a bystander (the video can be viewed at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzPTi8heUTQ).
    "The open carriers were of course not happy, because they were minding their own business, doing a lawful activity," said Tyler Hilliker, a gun rights supporter who was at Ponderosa on Saturday.

Under Michigan law, people with legally registered handguns can openly carry them in public. Some of the men who walked into Ponderosa, in fact, were members of the Michigan Open Carry. They were holding a meeting to discuss gun rights.

Only thing is, private property owners can refuse them.

"My analogy would be: If you come to my home, that's private property. I can decide who I want and my home and who not," said Teresa Szymanski, captain of the Lansing Police Department's South Precinct.

Officials from Michigan Open Carry say the owner of Ponderosa greed to let them hold a meeting at the restaurant. But he says he didn't expect the meeting to be held on a busy Saturday -- and certainly didn't expect the men to bring more than handguns.

"At first, we looked the other way on the handguns," said owner Dennis Holleran. "And then some gentleman shows up with an assault rifle, and that was just too far over the top."

That's when an assistant manager decided to call police. The open carriers say about 10 officers arrived on the scene and began harrassing them.

But LPD say no one was arrested and notes they're now working cooperatively with Open Carry to ensure this doesn't happen again.

"I think the taxpayers of Lansing want us to respond to gun calls. But at the same time, we need to be aware of individual rights."

5. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

DANG! tried to watch the video and youtube says it has been removed by user

6. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

SOooooooo the managment was ready to let them in , and some Idiot pulled a "kwikrnu" by strapping a high capacity magazine fed rifle to his back to fend of boarders at at the salad bar.......
    BTW the Captain was spot on in her assesment.

7. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

The Group had actually been to the restaurant previously and had even asked the manager if it was ok if they had a meeting there . The manager was ok with their handguns but balked when they showed up en mass during the busiest day of the week with one jackass toting a rifle.

8. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

What a complete and total bunch of pathetic losers. Get lives, you mouth breathing mooks.

9. wct097

wct097

Why do the outspoken ones out to prove a point always have to be the biggest idiots as well? You want to desensitize people to open carry? Carry openly all the time. Don't just show up with a big group of people on busy days just to get publicity, and don't strap a rifle on your back. Seriously... who thinks that's bright. Legal or not.

10. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

11. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I have a rifle slung over my shoulder when I am hunting :whistling: :embarassed:

12. wct097

wct097

Hunt much in busy restaurants?

13. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

No, I can't say that I do. lol

FYI, I agree with what you said earlier about not carrying a shouldered rifle into a busy place of business. Just trying to lighten the mood, that's all. :wavey:

14. Detectorist

Detectorist

:rofl:

15. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

I ocasionally Cougar hunt in resturaunts, usually bars though. I tend to keep my weapon for that concealed though :whistling:

16. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Grrrrr baby yeah!

17. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

Hey, sometimes the steak is still squirming a bit and needs a kill shot put into it :tbo:

18. AngryBassets

AngryBassets Jagenden Übel

This retarded stunt would result in absolute panic,over-reaction and chaos on the part of all involved in this ever happened in NJ.

I think it would be awesome to watch.

19. blueiron

blueiron

Nothing like absolutism to ruin a perfectly good thing.

20. ray9898

ray9898

I hope these idiots know they are doing more to hurt their cause than anyone else.