Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
new to the forum but not to guns. I was wonder if anyone had any idea if you can open carry in your own yard? I live in a small town in central florida. just kinda curios.:whistling: or where could I find out the laws on such ?

·
Registered
8,320 Posts
Check out www.handgunlaw.us and reference your state. If the info. isn't there, some of the state links may point you in the right direction.

·
Banned
5,143 Posts
If I lived in the country, I would open-carry. Not in the city. I've got nothing to prove, and there's no reason to aggravate my neighbors.

·
G21sf .45 ACP
259 Posts
Hi guys,
new to the forum but not to guns. I was wonder if anyone had any idea if you can open carry in your own yard? I live in a small town in central florida. just kinda curios.:whistling: or where could I find out the laws on such ?
I used to feel like I should be able to carry my gun however i want. Open or concealed! Here is what changed my mind. When you eliminate the element of surprise, you drastically change your chances in the event that you have to use your sidearm. All opinions welcome to this statement because I like feedback, however I have talked to MANY LEO's who believe in always concealing your weapon.

Carrying your firearm is a good thing in my opinion so carry however you feel is necessary and legal, but think about how someone would react to seeing a gun on the hip of a citizen whether it be a bystander or assailant

-Will

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always conceal. I have a ccw, I was just curious if you could . Its just sometimes I like working out in the yard with my shirt off . kinda hard to conceal a G23 with no shirt .

·
John 3:16
6,561 Posts
In Florida your good to go.

·
Instructor #298
3,644 Posts
Open carry is more a form of communication that a means of self defense. In addition to the political statement, I recommend open carry in one's own yard for a few months after a pedophile moves into the neighborhood.

·
Registered
12,129 Posts
I do it alot in the summer when doing yard work! But we are also an OC state ID, so it's realy no big deal! Yes I live in town! Problem in FL it maybe legal on your property but step one foot off your land and your illegally OCing!:faint:

·
Raven
12,747 Posts
Here in the Gunshine state you can walk around with a TOW missile launcher on your shoulder while on your own property if you can manage to legally own one.

·
> OD Glock 32
4,431 Posts
I think you can damned near be waving it around, as long as you're on your own property. Don't step onto the sidewalk or go out to the mailbox (assuming it's along the street like mine was when I lived in Fleming Island, FLA) while open carrying, though.

·
Banned
2,195 Posts
Hi guys,
yes you can..just a note..the area between a sidewalk and the street is considered city/county property...so, should you need to step beyond the sidewalk to say get your mail, you illegally open carrying.

·
G21sf .45 ACP
259 Posts
In MI we can open carry. I agree with open carry to a point, especially when you are on your property like he said here

Open carry is more a form of communication that a means of self defense. In addition to the political statement, I recommend open carry in one's own yard for a few months after a pedophile moves into the neighborhood.
Unfortunately I don't technically have my own yard...Condo... so I can't really OC on my own property... unless im in my garage :whistling:

·
G21sf .45 ACP
259 Posts
I have NO desire for my neighbors to know I own guns.
at this point, that is exactly how I feel being in a condo and all. It would just stir a pot

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I really don't mind my neighbors knowing I own, collect, or shoot guns. I choose not to open carry on my property because I don't want my neighbors to see me and think that I'm "that guy", the one who walks around with a gun all the time. I want them to think I'm a good neighbor and a decent guy first then find out I like guns. So I ccw even in my own yard. It seems to work better for me. Whatever you decide, I'm glad it's legal to open carry and I support your right to do so.

·
G21sf .45 ACP
259 Posts
I really don't mind my neighbors knowing I own, collect, or shoot guns. I choose not to open carry on my property because I don't want my neighbors to see me and think that I'm "that guy", the one who walks around with a gun all the time. I want them to think I'm a good neighbor and a decent guy first then find out I like guns. So I ccw even in my own yard. It seems to work better for me. Whatever you decide, I'm glad it's legal to open carry and I support your right to do so.
unfortunately some people think gun owners are crazy.... they are the crazy ones!!:rofl:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
unfortunately some people think gun owners are crazy.... they are the crazy ones!!:rofl:
Some people are anti-gun and there's nothing you can do about it. The people I try to win over are those who don't really have an opinion either way or who aren't familiar with firearms at all. With these people I try to put my best foot forward and try to dispel myths or stereotypes about gun owners. So far it seems best to carry concealed and bring up guns casually after they already know me. If we can win over half of the people who don't have strong feelings either way, we won't have to worry about the antis.

·
GUNS=FREEDOM
2,685 Posts
Generally, the only time that I open carry in the neighborhood and on my own property is when I am in police or army uniform. If asked, most neighbors might know that I own guns, but my impression is that most people don't think about it, and I would prefer it to stay that way. It's like most neighbors don't know that I'm a pilot and aircraft owner - no advantage is gained by letting them know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts