Open carry in Michigan,...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Current Resident, Oct 16, 2020.

1. kahrcarrier

kahrcarrier FAHRENHEIT

Nice! Good looking set up you have there. I voted in a court house a couple of hours south of you, so my gun stayed in the truck. In and out in 15 minutes.......

2. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Yeah, the wife and I got there an hour early, open carried under my MICHIGAN hoodie, but not concealed at all, they did ask me to remove my "TRUMP MAGA" hat, something about no political advertising inside, so a 1st Amendment issue to me, but no big deal with the second.
    As soon as I hit the SEND button and got the green light I had voted, I put the hat back on and walked out.
    What a Rebel I know eh?

[email protected]@t likes this.

3. Jack Ryan

Jack Ryan NRA Life Member.

So does that make the government responsible for your safety if you are attacked by rabid BLM and Antifa terrorists while you stand in line for hours waiting to vote? Who do you sue if attacked? You know, like if a business owner says no guns on my property?

4. Hef

Hef

You are entitled to your opinion, but this isn’t a discussion about the wisdom of open carry.

okiegtrider likes this.
  5. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

This is not your thread, who the hell are you to set the guidelines on what we discuss in it. :dunno:

6. Hef

Hef

I never said anything about setting guidelines, never set any guidelines, nor attempted to set guidelines. You made a comment whose only relevance to the discussion was mentioning open carry, but otherwise has nothing to do with the actual subject of the discussion - the attempt of a government official to act beyond her legal authority and make law by fiat.

If my initial reply offended you, I apologize, as that wasn't my intent. My comment was about the idea you expressed, and not an attack on you.

DocCasualty likes this.
  7. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6 Fullclip's Life Matters! FLM!!

8. Radam3

Radam3

My polling place is in a school, so per our CPL laws, I've never been able to carry while voting here in MI anyway. It's always in the truck though. Take it off before going in, put in back on after voting. No biggie to me. However if my polling place changes to a non-restricted area, it'll be on me and concealed like always

9. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

This just in...

"Michigan Gun Owners (MGO), a 501(c)(3) Michigan non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the rights of Michigan citizens, as enumerated in the Second Amendment and Article 1, Section 6 of the Michigan Constitution, along with Michigan Open Carry (MOC) and Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners (MCRGO) filed suit against Jocelyn Benson, Michigan Secretary of State for issuing an illegal and unconstitutional directive in an attempt to suppress the constitutionally protected rights of certain voters.

On October 16, 2020, Jocelyn Benson issued a directive ordering all local election officials to post signage at the entrance of the building where the polling place is located, as well as at entry of the room of the polling place. This signage states that the open carrying of a firearm is prohibited in a polling place.

Today, Michigan Court of Claims Judge Christopher Murray affirmed our argument that Secretary Benson lacks legal basis to make up her own rules/laws where firearms at the polls are concerned. Judge Murry granted our request for immediate injunctive relief, meaning Benson's edict is invalid and is not enforceable.

Michigan Attorney General, Dana Nessel has already issued a statement indicating that the defendants intend to file an immediate appeal to today's ruling, thus further wasting tax payer's dollars on trying to circumvent the Legislative Branch of government in their ongoing attempt to allow the Executive Branch to create their own laws and rules.

We sincerely hope that there will be no incidents of actual voter intimidation at the polls, or worse yet, violence of any type. We do not condone the use of firearms for illegal purposes of any kind. However, we are very pleased with the Court of Claims ruling today, protecting the rights of LAW ABIDING citizens of Michigan. We will continue to fight the Executive Branch's push to circumvent the Legislative Branch and restrict/revoke the rights of law abiding citizens by appealing this decision.

Finally, we want to THANK all of the folks that have made generous donations to our Legal Fund. We cannot do this without your support! The fight isn't over just yet, however."

The issue as I see it isn't whether you should or shouldn't open carry, it is whether the government can arbitrarily suppress or deny your constitutionally protected civil rights.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Hef and DocCasualty like this.
  10. napp32

napp32

Possession of a firearm within 150 feet of a polling place is illegal in Georgia. Concealed or open makes no difference. Georgia takes the position that when a building is being used as an official polling place it automatically falls into the Government facility category.

Conviction can carry a pretty stiff penalty. Up to one year in jail plus $1000 fine. Additionally, if licensed, the carry license is revoked for five years.

11. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

If your legislature passed that law and the people agree with it, that’s on you. The law is different in MI and the SOS can’t change it. The Dems in power can waste my tax dollars and bounce this all the way to the MI Supreme Court but the decision will be the same. Many entities have tested this to no avail; State law pre-emption wins.

Other than PFZs (criminal empowerment zones), the courts (they make their own rules independent of the people), the three major universities (a technicality of governance) and Federal property, open carry is legal everywhere in the State. Private property is another discussion.