GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the polls.

This is not to be a political thread, for discussion only.

Today the state passed that you cannot Open Carry within 100 feet of a polling station. It appears that this is already unconstitutional and will be over turned. The thought is that the 2A community is harassing people trying to strong arm folks.
I just find it odd that celebrities had voiced their opinions to boycott the Right town hall show. I felt a bit strong armed there.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-bans-open-carry-guns-182500858.html

·
Registered
10,148 Posts
Here in Arizona you just can't go inside a polling place while armed:

13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:

11. Unless specifically authorized by law, entering an election polling place on the day of any election carrying a deadly weapon; or

·
Huge Member
10,939 Posts
Here in Arizona you just can't go inside a polling place while armed:

13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:

11. Unless specifically authorized by law, entering an election polling place on the day of any election carrying a deadly weapon; or
Unless they are using metal detectors concealed is concealed.

·
Registered
502 Posts
At the polls.

This is not to be a political thread, for discussion only.

Today the state passed that you cannot Open Carry within 100 feet of a polling station. It appears that this is already unconstitutional and will be over turned. The thought is that the 2A community is harassing people trying to strong arm folks.
I just find it odd that celebrities had voiced their opinions to boycott the Right town hall show. I felt a bit strong armed there.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-bans-open-carry-guns-182500858.html
What CPL holders out to do is walk up to the 100ft "safety zone" making sure every one sees you are open carrying then pull your shirt over your gun and walk inside. Laugh at them and ask them do they feel safer now? I normally don't open carry living in Detroit. I prefer the element of surprise when they turn their back...lol

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Can't carry in a polling place here, even if you have a CCW permit. Been that way since the CCW law was passed a long time ago.

·
Wolverine
8,822 Posts
It appears this is a directive from Benson, not a law per se. It will be struck down in the courts. You can bet on it.
61D48C53-5C56-448E-8ABE-641DEC27260C.png
7F502A3C-FCA5-4BA8-8E0E-69144157110B.png
2354F5F3-2CED-442F-A01C-E9EFECC3E6EE.png

BTW, thanks for posting this!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Will it be struck down before voting day? If not what is your recourse if you are denied your right to vote? Sue somebody afterwards? If no suit they have won! Kind of like the Hurricane Katrina fiasco with the door to door gun confiscation. After it was ruled unconstitutional by the courts,nobody in charge was fined or given any jail time. Plus some people never got their firearms back.

·
Premium Member
24,812 Posts
Unless they are using metal detectors concealed is concealed.
That’s one thing if it’s like MN. In a business. If they notice you can be asked to leave. If you refuse (which is really stupid) you can be trespassed by Police, and IIRC get a $25 fine for carrying where legal “no guns signs”. If told to leave. Leave. A voting place. In your state they might criminally charge you.

·
Wolverine
8,822 Posts
Seems simple. Leave the gun in the car, go vote. Doesn't take that long.
As I said in another thread, I wouldn’t choose to open carry there but open carry has always been legal in MI, and other than PFZs is essentially legal everywhere in the State as upheld by our courts. The State Dems are certifiable if they think this will stand.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Seems simple. Leave the gun in the car, go vote. Doesn't take that long.
Do you not object to the fact that the Secretary of State is attempting to make law where none exists, rather than leaving such a thing to the legislature? If you accept this usurpation of power, what else would you be willing to accept?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Do you not object to the fact that the Secretary of State is attempting to make law where none exists, rather than leaving such a thing to the legislature? If you accept this usurpation of power, what else would you be willing to accept?
Probably more than I should. Like several other posters to the thread, where I live guns aren't permitted in polling places so I'm just not seeing this as a big deal. If the Secretary of State has overstepped, maybe you'll be successful in your legal challenge to the order.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Probably more than I should. Like several other posters to the thread, where I live guns aren't permitted in polling places so I'm just not seeing this as a big deal. If the Secretary of State has overstepped, maybe you'll be successful in your legal challenge to the order.
I live in South Carolina, and we are prohibited by statute from carrying in a polling location. While I dislike it and disagree with it, it is a prohibition that was lawfully enacted and is lawfully enforced.

The problem with this action by the Secretary of State is that allowing it to stand would constitute implied consent to lawmaking by executive fiat, outside of the legislative process. It’s relationship to guns is incidental. It’s implications are monumental.

·
Huge Member
10,939 Posts
The SOS in Michigan has no authority to ban anything. It's being challenged and will likely win.

Reactions: Hef

·
JAFO
13,662 Posts
Unless you're in the woods open carry always seemed like such a dumb idea to me. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts