Glock Talk banner

Oops, gues it's time for a mechanic

578 Views 11 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  GPalmer
2 KC LEO shoot up a van that was backfiring because they thought they were being shot at...

Link
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
11,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Broken link, but whoopsie. I can just see that meeting with the Chief. You see what happened was....
I fixed the link. Yeah, I bet they hear about that for a while... :rofl::rofl:

· Most mackinest
12,568 Posts
It's not quite as bad as the stupid liberal ****ing media makes it out to be.

The officers were dispatched on a report of shots being fired from a white van just before 6 p.m. Thursday on Gregory Boulevard near Interstate 435.

When the officers got to the area they saw a white van parked on Gregory and pulled up near it.
Then, as Murphy would have it, a vehicle matching that EXACT description has a backfire as they are getting out of their car on a related call.

I am sure I speak for more than one person here when I say I'd be hard pressed not to respond similarly in that situation. If not shooting at the van, at least taking cover and responding appropriately...

Just saying.

· Registered
11,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Then, as Murphy would have it, a vehicle matching that EXACT description has a backfire as they are getting out of their car on a related call.

I am sure I speak for more than one person here when I say I'd be hard pressed not to respond similarly in that situation. If not shooting at the van, at least taking cover and responding appropriately...

Just saying.
That's why I'm glad I don't have your job. Too many split second decisions that then get MMQB by everyone regardless of knowledge over a period of months... Although I'm thinking it would have been nice to have a target smaller than a van, especially in a populated area. If it were a war zone, I could see it.

· Crazy CO
17,668 Posts

· Way too busy
5,306 Posts

Just saying.
Yep, I agree 110%.

Unfortunately, the average citizen (who responds to those type news stories) as well as the reporters themselves have never been in a true life or death situation (or a perceived life/death situation) and have absolutely ZERO perspective. So naturally they hammer the cops.

This country is becoming more pathetic every day..

· Massive Member
27,270 Posts
If you also add in that I bet they do their training with ear protection, so how would they know for CERTAIN the difference between backfiring van and gunshots? Certain enough that on a shots fired call regarding a white van you wouldn't think a white van backfiring was the source of shots fired? That's a lot to expect in a split second startle reaction when you're anticipating gunshots.

It is kind of funny since nobody got hurt, they'll never live this one down.

Randy

· Registered
11,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts