Only took 11 days

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by IPDBrad, Aug 21, 2007.

1. IPDBrad

IPDBrad

This is the only outlet reporting. They also missed reporting on the second carjacking that occurred that same day, same mall.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/13936968/detail.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- A 21-year-old woman said she was able to escape a carjacking by jumping from her moving vehicle as she talked to a 911 dispatcher.

Cidney Smith said the incident began at about 6 p.m. on Aug. 10 in the Castleton Square Mall parking lot, 6News' Ericka Flye reported.

Smith said she got into her car and was forced to take a frightening ride.

"I was thinking, 'I can't believe this is really happening to me,'" Smith said. "How am I going to get out of this?"

Smith said she couldn't believe it happened during the day at a popular Indianapolis mall.

"I got in my car. I put my key in the ignition and, as I'm about to shut my door, this guy comes and blindsides me and pushes me down to my passenger seat," Smith said.

Smith said the man put a knife to her neck and that she had no idea what was coming next.

"I asked him, 'Are you going to kill me? Are you going to rape me?' He said, 'I'm not a murderer. I'm not a rapist. I just need your car and I need to get out of here,'" Smith said. "I asked him if he wanted my money. He said, 'I just stole money. I don't need your money. I just need to get out of here.'"

As the man drove away with Smith on the passenger floor, she secretly dialed 911 and let the dispatcher listen in as she spoke to her kidnapper.

"It's in my purse … and I just keep saying, 'So, we're leaving Castleton Mall. We're going on 86th Street. We're in my red car,'" Smith said. "I just kept repeating that and repeating that."

Just before the carjacker got onto Interstate 465, Smith made a desperate decision. She opened the door and rolled out onto the grass, Flye reported.

"I just, with all my might, rip out of his hands, hit the ground and then roll," Smith said.

The man got away with Smith's car and phone. Indianapolis Metro police detectives said they are working to track him down.

"They had a person of interest. They're following up on that lead," said IMPD Sgt. Paul Thompson. "They hope to develop that into a suspect that they can arrest."

Smith said she found the man she believes attacked her on familywatchdog.us, a sex offender and child predator monitoring site.

2. Platz

Platz

Any thoughts on why he didn't just let her out of the car if that's all he wanted? Do they think he had other intentions or was just in too much of a hurry to deal with her?

Sad that it took so long for them to report something like this.

3. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Brad, or someone help me with this. This is news. Two carjackings in one day at the same mall?!? Choosing to roll from a moving car to escape? In addition to news, this should also be a public awareness and public safety story!

Why isn't this being reported? Does the Simon Property group want it kept quite to prevent business erosion?

Does the Star not want to give people a reason to want handguns?

Does Ford have such a vehicle slump they are resorting to paying people to steal cars to pump up car sales? Okay, so I am kidding on this one.

But I don't understand why this isn't news. I read the Star and can tell you that 94% of what I read is less newsworthy that this. What bias or agenda can explain this?

Thoughts?

4. IPDBrad

IPDBrad

Found this interesting article:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-133147693.html

Simon headquarters starts to take shape.
    From: The Indianapolis Star (Indianapolis, Indiana) (viaKnight-Ridder/Tribune Business News) Date: June 10, 2005 More results for: "simon headquarters"

Byline: Madhusmita Bora

Jun. 10--The 14-story Simon Property Group headquarters under construction Downtown will create 80 to 100 additional jobs -- double the promise the mall owner made to the city in exchange for $23 million in government incentives.

"We are already bursting at the seams in our four different locations," said John Rulli, executive vice president and chief operating officer for operating properties.

"We have hired leasing professionals, construction and architectural professionals, and those are some of the highly compensated positions."

Simon ...

5. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

And let us not forget that Simon does not want weapons in their malls...

6. Loucks

Loucks

Sounds like open carry time. :mallninja:

7. IPDBrad

IPDBrad

+1, please do it when I am working. I want to take that run.

No, I can't arrest them, they have The Right to Carry.

8. txgho1911

txgho1911

So Brad, Those of us who are prominently open carrying now and at every opportunity will need to know your schedule so you can get these easy simple and fun opportunities to educate the public. I am assuming it may require open carry through the parking lots back and forth until someone notifies the mall, then security, and they in turn call you out.
    Ok I have the ATF and chips T-shirt and a bolt-face hat. Would one or the other strike more fear into the hearts of the soccer moms or the goblins?

9. txgho1911

txgho1911

I almost forgot. It is also time for choir practice to continue on Thursday nights. Or any other night we can schedule as many as possible for.
    GOI http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gunownersofindiana/

Added in another thread that applies here also. Public access on private property may need some refinement.
    Pre-emption changes should include but not limited to:
    1. Removal of grandfather date on local regulation.
    2. Cause this to apply also to all state dept.s and offices including gov campus buildings and capital building.
    3. Apply this to all secondary education centers and facilities for staff and student who posses and carry legally otherwise.
    4. Expand this also to exempt licensees who work at k-12 schools public and private. Parents who at the time have business at the school where their children are enrolled.
    It's for the children.

And many other points as they surface. Pre-emption may be the avenue of least resistance with the right people in office.

Point if public is invited or even required attendance should the property owner have the ability to regulate one's right to free speech or freedom from illegal search and seizure?

10. IPDBrad

IPDBrad

11. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Just a post script on Simon malls. As little as one year ago Washington Square mall did not have anything about "weapons" posted in their mall rules. I specifically looked to see if they did. Within the last year they changed their signs and “No weapons” appeared in red. Now the signs still have the “No Weapons” but no longer in red. Told the wife that I will have to start wearing the longer coat this winter as my leather jacket just doesn’t quite cover all. :tongueout:

12. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Front page news today... did one of you rascals call out the Indy Star, or did they just sense they were about to be pegged as a news companay failing to report news?

13. Loucks

Loucks

Since when has the Indy Star qualified as a legitimate source of news? :upeyes:

Edit: Also, IPDBrad just became my favorite cop. :hugs:

14. Platz

Platz

The dispatcher was a little slow on the uptake...

Can't believe the carjacker didn't hear her voice coming from the phone.

He's carjacking a car and he's worried about the AC not working?? :upeyes:

15. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Didn't sound too bright driving it for a few days after. Guess he was well known to Meijer as they watched him from the time he entered the store.

16. Loucks

Loucks

Carjacking is not the sort of crime that appeals to intelligent criminals.

17. Scutter01

Scutter01

I thought it was a kidnapping. Didn't the scumbag push her into the car first?

18. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Too bad she didn't have a .38 in her purse instead of a cell phone.

19. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Fixed it for you ;)

20. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I COULD post a picture of the "cell phone Glock" we have all seen... but it isn't worth the effort!

Q (of James Bond fame) should help us design protective gear for our cars (especially wives and young women). Perhaps a visor mounted, voice activated concussion grenade.

Bad guy: "Get in the car and get down on the floor!"
    Victim: (covers ears and whistles the 007 wolf call)

BOOM!!!!!!

Bad guy: (blood oozing from one ear). "uuuuuunnngh" (slumps back into seat groggily moving head)

Victim: "Yes, 911? My OnStar Voice Activated Concussion Device has momentarily stunned him. Thank goodness for OVACD! I have had an opportunity to draw my SIG 232 and will shoot if he advances on me. Please send police.".