Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically my first cousin and I are pretty much the only two guys in our immediate family that are into guns. And between the both of us we have around 45 handguns 2 ARs (we have one a piece), the number of handguns will continue to grow in numbers. The only difference is he buys his guns because of what “popular” YouTubers and Instagram influencers who tell the masses what to buy. Nothing wrong with that initially but now he’s complaining about how some of the firearms don’t fit him, because he neglected to try them out for himself. I asked why don’t he sale them and he said because he won’t get what he paid for them, which is understandable because I’ve only gotten rid of one myself and that was a APX. So now he’s basically stuck with firearms he doesn’t necessarily want anymore, and of course I’m not trading him anything because unlike him I think for myself instead of what an influencer seem what is a go or no go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't tell if he's lazy or just inexperienced but this is how we learn.
I wouldn’t say he’s neither, but I would say he’s a damn fool for letting someone tell him which firearms he should spend his own money on, which a majority of the influencers don’t spend their own money.

·
Registered
14,695 Posts
There's an entire generation of gun owners that pretty much follow the Instagram/YouTube crowd. They are the ones who flock to buy all the silly stuff most of us ignore. Look how much hype Hi-Point got from naming a gun "yeet cannon". YouTubers had a field day with the naming contest and people got roped into a silly name for the "upgraded" pistol. They didn't even produce the gun they were showing off, just slapped the name on their crappy old 9mm and let the orders flood in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's an entire generation of gun owners that pretty much follow the Instagram/YouTube crowd. They are the ones who flock to buy all the silly stuff most of us ignore. Look how much hype Hi-Point got from naming a gun "yeet cannon". YouTubers had a field day with the naming contest and people got roped into a silly name for the "upgraded" pistol. They didn't even produce the gun they were showing off, just slapped the name on their crappy old 9mm and let the orders flood in.
Couldn’t agree more, except he’s older than me. Some months back he purchased the Advocate by Colion Noir and I asked was there really a difference between it and the original VP9 and he sounded like a damn commercial trying to convince me to get one. Not saying the Advocate is a bad firearm but I’m not a follower of a crowd, plus I don’t need the extra bells and whistles on a firearm. I like all my firearms stock, and I learn to shoot them that way. If I make any changes to a firearm it’s either a updated guide rod assembly or a threaded barrel, that’s it.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I don’t believe in “fit” we’re high functioning beings if we can’t figure out proper tool use shame on us.

I’m a lefty and since I was a young lad I’ve had to learn how to adapt, some handguns were more difficult (1911) and ultimately lost out to more practical platforms.

If one is buying current production handguns your needs should be met fairly easily and I’d venture to say there’s not much difference between all that’s being offered.

Which leads me to wonder why someone would want to purchase so many of the same guns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43,593 Posts
I heard this phrase..... Test Drive

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I have bought my fair share but I trade with others, too, If something doesn’t suit me. I enjoy watching Hickok45 but what works in his large hands may not work in mine.

I’d stress to him that these people are sponsored and might have a personal bias.

I don’t know where you live but there are always gun shows, forums or local trading groups.

I would only trade with people who are up to date with concealed carry licenses or I put stuff on consignment for people to undergo background checks.

What type of guns is he getting? What size are his hands?

People with shorter fingers or small hands have a difficult time getting the proper fit.

However, If his skill, or lack thereof, cannot take advantage of a firearm’s features, I suggest that he seek some formal training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Glock 45/19X
8,124 Posts
Basically my first cousin and I are pretty much the only two guys in our immediate family that are into guns. And between the both of us we have around 45 handguns 2 ARs (we have one a piece), the number of handguns will continue to grow in numbers. The only difference is he buys his guns because of what “popular” YouTubers and Instagram influencers who tell the masses what to buy. Nothing wrong with that initially but now he’s complaining about how some of the firearms don’t fit him, because he neglected to try them out for himself. I asked why don’t he sale them and he said because he won’t get what he paid for them, which is understandable because I’ve only gotten rid of one myself and that was a APX. So now he’s basically stuck with firearms he doesn’t necessarily want anymore, and of course I’m not trading him anything because unlike him I think for myself instead of what an influencer seem what is a go or no go.
Due diligence means proper research and personal experience. It can be beneficial listening to people's experiences, but one needs to properly vet those experiences. It is, unfortunately, a fact that many of the popular YTer's are paid for their opinion and/or they are sent products for free to 'review'. While that doesn't automatically disqualify them, their 'review' needs to be taken with more than a grain of salt. I use such reviews to get specs, learn how to disassemble, maintain and get the general gist of the product. As far as their likes and dislikes it would be difficult for me to care even less than I do regarding their opinion.

There are YT'ers that buy their own products and then review them. I give more of an ear to their thoughts because if they pay for it themselves they are more apt to honestly review it.

There are folks on the net, and even on this board that will chime in with their 2 cents on a product yet they don't have any experience with said product. They are based on outdated information/experience or 'my friends roomates coworker had a next door neighbor' type comments. In both regards, those opinions are basically worthless. On the other hand, there are folks on the net, and on this board that do have actual experience with a product-in-question and can give the good, bad and ugly as appropriate. So some weight can be given to those opinions.

In the end, if the person is going on blind faith what someone says on YT or posts on a board and then gets stuck because they didn't truly do their due diligence then that's on them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have bought my fair share but I trade with others, too, If something doesn’t suit me. I enjoy watching Hickok45 but what works in his large hands may not work in mine.

I’d stress to him that these people are sponsored and might have a personal bias.

I don’t know where you live but there are always gun shows, forums or local trading groups.

I would only trade with people who are up to date with concealed carry licenses or I put stuff on consignment for people to undergo background checks.

What type of guns is he getting? What size are his hands?

People with shorter fingers or small hands have a difficult time getting the proper fit.

However, If his skill, or lack thereof, cannot take advantage of a firearm’s features, I suggest that he seek some formal training.

He buys what’s considered hot at the time, Friday he wants to go get a FN 5.7, says it will be his vehicle gun.

·
Registered
14,111 Posts
I wouldn’t say he’s neither, but I would say he’s a damn fool for letting someone tell him which firearms he should spend his own money on, which a majority of the influencers don’t spend their own money.
He does indeed sound like a fool....

And you know what they say about a fool and his money....

·
18,929 Posts
If you buy new car or motorcycle or jet ski or television or whatever and take it home and try to sell it the same day and expect to get what you paid for it, you are suffering from Unrealistic Expectations. But people believe in this fantasy because they've been told and they've told themselves (And their wives) that guns are a good investment and will always increase in value.

You know what they say about beer, how you don't buy it, you just rent it because it goes in one end and comes out the other? Guns are kind of like that. You buy them, and you use them and then if you have to sell them the money you lose is like money you've spent for entertainment or recreational purposes. Only under certain conditions can you sell a gun for what you paid for it or come out ahead and usually it takes years for inflation to artificially increase the value of the gun.

Those are the facts and that is the truth and some people just can't handle the truth. Another cold hard fact about either buying or selling guns is if you're in a hurry you will pay more and sell for less. But if you wait, you can find someone who'll pay more for a gun either because they're in a hurry or they don't know what the gun is worth or for many of the same reasons will sell for less. I've learned these things from many years of experience.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
He buys what’s considered hot at the time, Friday he wants to go get a FN 5.7, says it will be his vehicle gun.
Is he aware of the ammunition cost?

I stocked up two years ago when it was $15 a box. Now it’s $30.

I bought 2000 rounds back then.

·
Banned
547 Posts
Did he already get one of those...
https://www.chuckhawks.com/5-7x28_cop_killer.htm

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I guess I was lucky in that my Dad, when he recognized my collecting interest as a teenager, advised me that quality trumps quantity in most collecting circumstances.

He was right.

·
Tactically Epic
13,087 Posts
So many guntubers are paid shills you have to navigate carefully. They also shill to different degrees, such as those who get free guns to review so try and keep companies happy vs those who charge thousands for a good review.

Many channels are entertainment first objective reviews last. Thats why i like forums, its mostly people who spent their own money and share experiences.

·
18,929 Posts
The problem with the 5.7 is that people confuse the rifle ballistics with the pistol ballistics. The rifle ballistics are impressive but the pistol ballistics are not. From an 18 inch rifle barrel ballistics are about 2200 fps with a 40 grain bullet, but from the pistol, only about 16-1700 fps.

A better choice is the 22 TCM which not only has better ballistics (40 grain bullet 2000 fps from a 5 inch barrel) but is chambered in a gun of a more proven design with a better trigger and better controls that can be safely and reliably carried cocked and locked with a SA trigger. and the Rock Island guns are good quality and have good customer service, and are much less expensive than the FN 5.7

And for less than what you'd pay for an FN 5.7, the RIA 22 TCM is available in dual caliber mode with a 9mm barrel and the 9mm and the 11 TCM use the same double stack magazines.

The Ruger 5.7 has a funky trigger and safety and I wouldn't trust it to be carried cocked and locked and the FN 5.7 presumably could be carried cocked and locked but has a diminutive safety placed in an awkward position.

·
Banned
547 Posts
Reactions: Gray Dood
1 - 20 of 40 Posts