Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what ppls thoughts are about purchasing online vs from a local dealer. This will be my first gun purchase (ever). I've taken an intro course at my local shop (armory) but their prices are quite a bit higher than what I'm seeing online.

TIA
Mark

·
Registered
13,985 Posts
I'd buy local. With shipping and transfer fees on line some of the price advantage goes away. If you want something used or hard to find on line may be the way to go.

Reactions: SevenSixtyTwo

·
Supreme Member
4,105 Posts
I almost always buy online. Even with shipping charges and the FFL transfer fee associated with an online purchase, I still find my out-the-door cost is significantly lower than it is buying from a local store.

And for those who might complain that buying online takes money away from local businesses, I still have to pay a local business to do the transfer.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,792 Posts
You want to develop a rapport with local merchants. There are two local merchants I use and both are willing to lower their prices for their steady customers. I do buy online, but I use another merchant who handles online purchases and is very reasonable in his fees compared to the two local merchants I use if they were to process and online purchase.

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
My local gun store is Family Firearms Sales in Colorado Springs. The reason that I mention them by name is because I like the fact that when I walk in the front door they know who I am. They say hi and they act happy to see me.

I also like the fact that they don't treat my wife like some idiot who doesn't know anything about guns and I like the fact it as a repeat customer I get a discount on any gun that I buy there.

I don't get service like that online.

·
Rational
15,844 Posts
It's funny you should ask. Yesterday, I went on the website of a local gun shop, and they had a Taurus M66, Used but Unfired, for $525. Unknown if that's pre or post-tax price. I'm guessing pre.....and the last time I bought a gun at a shop, there was a $45 tax on it.

https://sporting-systems.com/product/taurus/

So that's one shop I'm not shopping at. Guess I'll have to get a credit card and shop online.

$525 for a used Taurus. Weed is indeed legal in Washington......

·
NRA Life Member
30,697 Posts
For me, it depends on the LGS. If they are Dick's ( pun intended ) when I am in the store, I'll go online. If they are reasonable and not trying to rape me; they will get my business even if they are not as cheap as online.

My best one knows me and calls when they get something interesting in that they know I would like.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Depends on what kind of dealers you have to deal with as to where YOU buy .

I have a country general store that also our gun shop . Owners not a gun guy just a darn sharp salesman and they display some 400+ firearms all sold at a discounted price . They also sell AR steel bulk ammo mags and safes . Well and 500 other items . They will also do whats needed to find a firearm they don't have or can't find thru normal factory supplier or wholesalers even if that's contacting the factory sales rep to hunt down whats needed at another dealer so a purchase or trade can be arranged typically still at a discount . They do not sell on line ether . Most any time of day you can walk in and some one is buying some firearm and several or waiting to buy or order .

·
1911 lover
10,190 Posts
i buy both ways depending on the gun being purchased . i have a great local shop that i often buy from and they have great service and pricing. sometimes i just use a local FFL and buy online... either way i get great service and like how the process works.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Wondering what ppls thoughts are about purchasing online vs from a local dealer.
Much easier to buy at your local toy store. Walk in, get the gun, walk out.

I did order one gun online - a Les Baer UTC - but that was only because it was not available locally. Its just too much of a hassle, and fraught with increased risk opportunities, to order online if you don't have to.

·
NRA Life Member
69,126 Posts
Wondering what ppls thoughts are about purchasing online vs from a local dealer. This will be my first gun purchase (ever). I've taken an intro course at my local shop (armory) but their prices are quite a bit higher than what I'm seeing online.

TIA
Mark
I have been buying guns since about 1987. Never found a need to buy a gun online, other than 1 stripped lower receiver for a 9mm AR, which I couldn't buy locally. I buy at the gun shop and I buy what is in stock - I don't even have them order guns for me.

If you have the impression that people mostly buy their guns online, you may be getting too much of your gun information from the internet. Guide yourself away from that and get involved with real shooters and the real gun community in the real world. They are NOT the same.

Reactions: G19 fan

·
NRA Life Member
69,126 Posts

TIA
Mark
Also, there is a major difference between online gun buying and gun shops - in a gun shop you are expected to negotiate the price, like buying a car. Walking in and paying the marked price is a new thing that seems to be related to internet shopping and big chain stores. In real gun shops, it is common to mark everything at MSRP and negotiate lower prices. I guess that is fading, now that so many buyers are used to the internet and chain stores and don't know that's how it works.

Reactions: G19 fan

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I have bought locally far more often. Working at a LGS, I get a small advantage on price. More important to me is that QC for many companies has slipped significantly over the last few years. I prefer to hold and inspect the actual specimen that I will take home before I pay for it.

I would buy something like a Glock online. Something like a Smith or Ruger revolver? I'd rather look it over first.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts

TIA
Mark
What are the laws where you are regarding purchase, ownership, storage at home, carrying a gun? As others have posted, you may have to "buy online" through a local gun store, assuming you need to go through an FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer.

Ask around, see what others think of local stores. Walk in and tell them you are thinking of buying your first gun. Depending on the store, and especially if you go in on a slow day, they will love to talk guns with you. Tell them you are not going to buy right now, but need to think about it. Listen to what they say. Ask if you can buy a gun through them that you see on the internet. There will probably be some sort of fee.

Go home, ask questions on forums such as GlockTalk, peruse the internet. Obviously, here at GT we tend to lean towards Glocks, but there is a lot of info here about pretty much any gun out there.

Have you shot guns before? Do you know anyone who can take you to a gun range and maybe try a few different types?

You are beginning what is a fun, fascinating adventure of target shooting, competition, hunting, etc.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts