close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Online photos of my Dad & warplanes

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by RBR, Sep 12, 2004.

1. RBR

RBR

I finally got around to posting some pictures of my Dad, crews, planes etc he flew in from WW2 and Korea. The pictures were in a pretty bad state so I scanned them and did a good bit of editing to make them presentable. I couldn't identify the helicopters and some of the air-sea rescue planes so someone here might know what they are.

He was in the Navy during WW2 flying anti-submarine patrols in the PB4Y-2 (Navy version of B24)as a Gunner/Radio operator. After the war he enlisted in the Air Force and was eventually flying air-sea rescue missions during the Korean War as a pilot. I can imagine anyone unlucky enough to end up the the seas in that area wouldn't last very long. He finished-up his service during the Vietnam War piloting air-tankers (prop & jet) and retired a Major in 1966. He died a couple of years ago and this is a small way to remember him by.

go to http://www.photobucket.com/
    and type in RBROGERS (upper case!) at Go To Album then press Go
    Album is CRR
    click on the thumbnail pic to enlarge
    there are 52 pics total on three pages

2. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Great photos! Looks like he had quite a sense of humor too. :)

I had no idea that the B-17 was used for air/sea rescue. You learn something new on GT every day!

Where was he stationed during WWII?

3. RBR

RBR

Thanks,

He was stationed on Palawan that I know of for sure. That's an air-drop life boat underneath the B17. I don't know well it worked in use. I would think it would be hitting the water hard and if it landed upside down, how do you flip it over? A person floating in the water, maybe wounded, wouldn't have any leverage and it looks to be heavy.

4. ChuckDee

ChuckDee

Great pics, and a nice way to memorialize your dad- thanks for sharing!

5. Ranger Grant

Ranger Grant

Hi,

Great pictures. Page 1, 1st & 3rd pictures are of Sikorsky H19 helecopters. The 2nd picture is of a Sikorsky H5. These were also used by the U.S.A.F Air Rescue units. My Dad flew both during is tour in Korea (he flew B26 Marauders in WW2). The "Privateer" looks like a B24 with the tail converted to a single verticle stablizer. The sea plane is a Grumman HU-16 Albatross.

Best, RG

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Thanks for letting us see those pictures.

Man you are lucky, a father to be proud of.;?

As "Ranger Grant" said the 1st and 3rd helicopter is the Sikorsky H19.
    The C and D models were still being used by the Army for training in 1964 when I went through flight school.
    I loved flying that tank with it's big radial engine.

7. RBR

RBR

Thanks for the help with ID's and I'll get them updated sometime soon hopefully.