close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Online Photo Hosting...Why Do People Use??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Nalapombu, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Nalapombu

Nalapombu Millennium Member

Hey,

I have always read posts about people having trouble posting pics to forums. It seems that a lot of them have trouble using some of the various online photo hosting sites. Some of these places make you have an account, some have limits on access and many other issues that seem to be a pain in the arse.
    My question is why do people use these aggravating photo hosting sites when all they have to do is get ahold of their ISP and use the FTP space that is available to almost everyone that has an account with an ISP? I have quite a bit of space available on my account and all I would have to do is get a freeware FTP program and I could let everyone and their brother look at whatever pics I wanted to post with no trouble or hassles at all.
    It just seems that a LOT of aggravation could be avoided if people used their space that they are already paying for.
    So why do people still use online photo hoisting sites?

Nala

2. d0truji

d0truji

3. troyboy30

troyboy30

becouse we can't figure out how to make our page using a free ftp program and no one has offered to do it for us? comcast was nice you just had to point and click.

4. SKeefe

SKeefe

5. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

some ppl don't want their names online. names which happen to be in the URL's.

6. Dandapani

Dandapani

7. troyboy30

troyboy30

that would work for me skeefe! set mine up for me would ya. lol

All I need is basic page to host my pics.

8. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

I assume you're looking for a better answer than "They're easier to use" ;Q Think about it, the average person going online isn't usually that adept at computers, about all they know how to do is log into the computer, click the shiny "E" button to open IE (or g-d forbid, using AOL! gasp!) and type what they want to find.

Yes, FTP is easy to use, but it's hard to get people to learn that. I've made several suggestions to my parents on easier, faster, or cheaper methods to what they use, and basically whatever I suggest they start using about 2 years later. That's just the way it goes......

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It is also a matter of presentation and ease of maintenance. The ftp upload & directory listing as index are okay for a few photos, but they sure make for a lousy presentation. I want to show thumbnails to people so they don't have to go through all photos if they want only to see one. It is a question of respect for your user. And if you do set up your own web page with thumbnails, you have to ask yourself a question - how much time will it cost me to maintain it properly, add/remove photographs, re-order them if needed, etc. Some would rather pay a couple of bucks a month for a professionally run site and get it over with.

10. greenlead

greenlead

11. SKeefe

SKeefe

I know this thread is pretty old, but I was just reading through some old posts.

All you need to do is right click, "View Source" on that page I showed you, then copy and paste it to your own .txt file, then save it as .html. Then just make the appropriate folders (corresponding to the directories)at the ftp site (for instance, mine is ftp://home.sc.rr.com/ for the page listed above).

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Another reason is bandwidth. A lot of that ISP space runs out of BW relatively quickly, esp if hosting pics on big fora like GT. I used one of my Earthlink accounts to host a 5MB movie of a substation explosion and posted a link here in GnG. I ran out of bandwidth (for the entire month) in less than a day.