close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Online Credit Card Fraud

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by Ljunatic, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Ljunatic

Ljunatic On The Fringe

Today I went online to check balances on my accounts, and noticed the checking account I used for shooting had a low balance. Further investigation revealed that $ 795.00 was on hold for a charge made to my Visa debit card in the last 24 hours . I called my bank and they indicated that the charges were made to T-MOBILE and Woolworth’s. Neither charge had cleared yet, so my card was cancelled . Now, this card has only been used for 4 purchases online. In January I purchased a 3 year NRA membership renewal at the NRA website and a new Nebraska hunting permit via the Nebraska Game and Parks commission web site. In March I purchased bullets from Midway USA via their website and that same month bought some belt loops for a Milt Sparks holster via Lightning Arms Sports Inc. in Oregon

I’m not sure how the card was compromised and used fraudulently, But it is obvious to me that one of the above websites has had some sort of security lapse that allowed my card data to be stolen. The card has always been in my possession and still is. It has never been used at any gas station, hotel or restaurant, but has been used at Scheel’s Sporting Goods one time, for reloading supplies.

My intent on posting this information was just as a warning to anyone using a credit card online, that some gun related websites may have compromised security, or been the victims of hackers stealing credit card data, and not to disparage the retailers

I was lucky to notice the problem with my account before the money was all gone, and my bank has a 100% online fraud protection, but many others may not, so be diligent and monitor all accounts that you may have used for internet purchases.

2. BarkinDog

BarkinDog Millennium Member

True, your Visa data may have been compromised from the places you used it or even through the bank that issued your card, a couple of months ago it was in the news that one of the major credit card banks had been hacked and over a couple hundred thousand card holders data may have been accessed. Sometimes the banks know and do something about it and sometimes they aren't aware. My wife's credit union sent her a new card recently stating they had been hacked and were issuing new cards to accounts that may have been exposed. The banks don't always admit a security breech.

3. ray9898

ray9898

Could be from a hack in the bank system or a insider working in the bank.