close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Online College Degrees

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by kensb2, Jul 20, 2012.

1. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I'm wondering if anyone here has earned a BS/BA online, what school they got it from, and the overall experience? Have you been able to apply what you've learned to your job? I have an AS right now, but I need a BS to move up to a sys admin position. Any advice or thoughts?

P.S. I'm married, have a 16 mo old, and a full-time job. I'd prefer not to be spending all the extra time/gas money trying to fit an on-campus degree into my life if I can avoid it. I'd prefer to be at home with my family instead.

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

If you do it, get it from a name brand bricks and mortar school.

I dont care what anyone says, the University of Phoenix type places carry a stigma and are often no cheaper than a real brick and mortar school.

3. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

I've very weary of the U of P, even though that might be my cheapest/fastest/path of least resistance. I actually got info from the University of Massachusettes today (UMass), and they look to have a pretty promising program. The degree would cost around 43k, so certainly not cheap by any means. The accept CLEP'd courses, which is good as I have free access to them through the Army. That'd help shorten the time to earning my degree quite a bit. I also looked at DeVry, but their online course is almost 75k!!!
    This is a BS in IT/CIS. Haven't narrowed down my specialization yet.

4. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Pace University has a pretty good online program that also includes a masters program.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

There is a pretty good rule about online degrees: If it isn't a traditional brick-and-mortar college offering your online degree, it isn't worth much.

If you want a degree that will take you places (grad school, prestigious employers), don't get it from an online-only place. If you're like most people and you just need a degree to "check a box" (and from your description, you are now--although who's to say anything about the future), any place will do as long as it is accredited an institution that matters. In the US, that means it's an accrediting organization on the US Department of Education's list. http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html

The well known names in online education (such as Phoenix) tend to be ridiculously overpriced, especially when you consider my first point about the lack of value they have to employers (and for the most part the education provided matches the reputation). They work to check a box, but not much else.

Check around at local universities and junior/community colleges (who may partner with universities or may just help you get a few classes done cheaper). Some have cheap options for online programs.

And if all you need is a degree from anywhere, look at places like Excelsior College, Thomas Edison State College, and Charter Oak State College, who are fairly easygoing about accepting outside credits and arranging to accept fairly unique credit programs. The advantage here is potentially saving a whole lot of money, in part by not retaking courses or by finding substitutes. They aren't really great institutions of education (although you can, indeed, get an education with them, the quality of which will vary drastically by major), but they're legitimate state colleges and you're less likely to find people turn their nose up at them since they aren't as well known as something like Phoenix. If you need a particular major, make sure they actually offer that major and not just a "concentration" in that field.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  6. aplcr0331

aplcr0331

When I was attending Washington State University there were people in my office that were attending U of P. At that time, in 2002, they were paying more for their U of P degree by almost 37% more than my WSU degree.

Do not get a degree from an online only college. Do not. Don't do it. Most colleges have extended learning divisions, adult outreach, distance learning centers, etc.

If you have to get a degree utilizing online courses, go to the college closest to your location and take online courses from them.

Repeat, state school with online options. Never online. Never.

7. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

My wife got her MBA from a major university. When the job hunting started she was head and shoulders ahead of the online and for profit, Phoenix type grads.

8. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Harvard now has an extended learning program, too.

9. gigab1te

gigab1te

This is true. No matter where its from, there will always be a stigma associated with the online degree (at least if the person doing the hiring has a traditional degree). Some brick and mortar universities hand out the same diploma to their online grads as their traditional grads, but I suspect if the university is 500 miles away from where your job is while your in school, the person doing the hiring will ask about it. As online degrees become more and more common, their acceptance may change, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think an online degree could be useful if all you need is to be able to "check the box" that you have complied with an existing employer's job advancement requirements. They might also be useful if a competing job applicant doesn't have any degree or if your future employer already wants to hire you. IMHO, in the long run you will be better served by the effort to get a brick and mortar degree. If its an online degree or none at all, then look for one being offered by the most reputable brick and mortar school you can find, especially if it is an in-state university.

I'll also add that I'm involved with interviewing and have input on the hiring of at least several college grads a year, and I believe my other interviewers feel the same way as me. We've even been known to joke about certain online universities. My degrees were from brick and mortar schools (believe it or not, the internet didn't exist back then), so you know my bias...

10. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

I'd recommend against it. There is so much more you learn during any class you take from the personal contact with the instructor.

11. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

I have a B.S. that I finished online out of convenience. My wife and I both got bachelors degrees from Excelsior College. It is as accredited as any university. I attended Auburn University. Then went to medical School in Atlana at Life University. I hated it and finished my degree online. I would recommend it to anyone. But coming from a man that made 34 on the MCAT, online college is no joke, it is hard and time consuming, but in the society we we live in today it is just as good. A Bachelors is a Bachelors!!!! IMO!

12. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

You're delusional. There is a stigma. There is how you feel and what is real. They are not the same thing.

BTW, you did not go to Medical School. You are alleging that you went to Chiropractic school before you finished an undergrad. That happens sometimes, but again, you did not go to Medical School. Medical School awards MD's and DO's. Not Chiropractic degrees. They are not the same thing and your words are pure puffery.

13. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

I just signed up for a free online Organic Chem course. There are a bunch of good schools (stanford, princeton, u of illinois, etc) offering a wide variety of courses now. You don't get a degree, and not even official college credit (yet), just a certificate.

Here's info: https://www.coursera.org/

But hey, the price is right! (and I just want to learn the stuff. Already got my PhD)

As for the OP, I'd avoid an online only school for a degree if at all possible!

14. Dexters

Dexters

I agree with others have said about on line schools - not worth the money.

I'd ask the people who will 'move you up' where they would recommend. Generally, it is a good idea to ask people where you want to go in the company what you need to get there.

15. GD2J

GD2J GoDirectly2Jail

I completed my BS online,

...from a brick/mortar university that does not differentiate between online and in-person on the degree itself or the transcripts.

That leaves it up to me whether to disclose (or not).

I will say that my online courses were challenging, because without the face-to-face interaction in a traditional classroom, your grade is mainly determined though writing exercises.

Online lends itself better towards the humanities than the hard sciences, in my opinion, and depending on the circles you run in, that may account for some of the stigma comments here.

As far as my own personal experiences as continuing education student, I had the independent study habits to make my learning experience successful. Others may not get the same out of it.

16. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

If you are talking about the Harvard MIT joint outreach thing it's awesome but there is no degree or even credit involved.

17. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

My brother took a couple similar classes through MIT - he's a pro architect with an MBA who owns his own company so there is no need to impress a boss. He wanted to learn more about urban planning so he took a course. He said it was very challenging and he was the only long term architect in the group so he was peppered with questions at every turn. The other class had something to do with RTVF types stuff maybe old movies.

18. GD2J

GD2J GoDirectly2Jail

He's talking about online courses through Harvard's Extension School.

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/

19. Breadman03

Breadman03

I'm currently attending Excelsior College, one of the very few online schools with the right accreditation. I'm doing a project with someone going for his masters in IT system management.

I like it, but it is very challenging. You have to do the reading, use the discussion boards, and seek outside sources as needed.

20. WarEagle32

WarEagle32

Amen! It was as tough or tougher than any of the other 300+ other credit hours I had sitting at "prestigious" schools!