Online College Classes

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TimP, Oct 24, 2010.

1. TimP

TimP 1 Proud Infidel

hey fellow GT'ers

Im trying to help my fiance find some places to take online classes from

A little background. She is a Sophomore at Converse College in SC, majoring in Music Education. Right now she is taking 21-22hrs a semester, and making awesome grades. 4.0 Average.

In order to lighten her load during the school year, we are looking for online schools that she can take some General Ed classes with during the summer.

Money isnt a huge concern, but obviously the cheaper the better at an accredited school.

Does anyone know any good ones, or have any experience with them?

thanks so much
    Tim

2. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Your best bet for outright cheapest is to put some calls in to the in-state community/junior colleges and ask what online courses are available.

It is possible they are unadvertised, but they are likely to exist, and they are likely to be cheaper at an in-state CC/JC than anywhere else.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010

3. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

To add: Don't discount CLEPing/testing out of courses.

If CLEP isn't an option, there are some colleges which will let you assess or test out of all sorts of other classes. It is NOT common to find an accredited college that will do this as a standard. It IS common for other colleges to accept the credits, though. If such a college is outside of your college's regional accrediting board, they may be picky, so be sure that they'll take it. (Edited to add: I'm not suggesting a non-accredited school for classes, just stating that schools can be pickier about applying credits from schools that are accredited through different accrediting institutions, especially if they are known for online classes or awarding credits for testing or assessment.)

For example:
    http://tesc.edu/listalltecep.php
    http://tesc.edu/listallc.php?type=PA

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  4. 2afreedom

2afreedom

+1. Check with your in-state community colleges or universities. You know it's and accredited school and it will be less expensive than private schools. Also avoid all those "800 number" schools they advertise on television-sometimes the credits from those schools won't transfer over.

5. ExxoticOne

ExxoticOne

I took some online classes at Drexel and was very impressed with their Blackboard, format, etc. :wavey:

6. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

Walden University is good, the work load isn't bad at all...but you need to make sure your state education dept. will accept their degree! or make sure how transferable the credits are.

7. Cobra6

Cobra6

+2 - my daughter did this to knock out a history and psych basic class that was a graduation requirement, but not pertinent to her nursing program.

Also, I got my graduate degree online - definitely not the easiest way, but more flexible for your schedule. I was not in a good frame of mind to finish my graduate work after my OEF deployment.
    About this time one of my team members got kicked out of school for decking a professor, and I just about went off on some punk kid in class, so I decided to go the online route.

You might check this out - American Public University System
    http://www.apus.edu/
    fully accredited online - and

American Military University
    http://www.amu.apus.edu/
    part of the same system.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Also, whatever you do, make sure that the college she's seeking a degree from will accept credits from the schools she decides to take classes from. She should be able to get a list of schools that they accept credits from from her advisor.