close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

online bill pay, Is it safe ???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dyno, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Dyno

Dyno

I am thinking of trying the online bill pay at my bank and wounld like to hear from those who know more than me. I'm on dialup and would like to pay just a few bills that come up every month.

Is this safe ?

Please give all info or opinions that may be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Dyno

2. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Yep, it's safe. It is just as safe as giving out your acct info over a phoneline IMHO.

Been doing it for nearly 5 years now and believe me you will never go back once you start, it is great!

Only thing to be a little weary of would be to make sure you are on a secure site which should start with //https and there should be a small lock icon on the lower right of your browser as well. I always make sure it is at least 128bit encrypted.

3. cliffb

cliffb

I pay bills online through my bank's web sight. Very handy and no problems.

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Outside of automatic payments, all other accounts I pay online and have been for years. No problems.

Think about it this way - when you give your credit card to an unknown waiter at a restaurant, do you think it's safer?

5. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

I have been paying some of my bills online for three years now, never had a problem.

As mentioned be sure that the companies website your are using is secure the web address will start with https:// instead of http://.

I have also never had any problems in ordering products from well known online stores. :)

6. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I pay everything I can online through BofA. Only problem I have ever had was back in the early days of bill pay where some stuff was lost or late. Nothing like that in the past 4 years or so. It is so much easier and you don't have to pay postage. Just make sure all your account numbers are correct and the addresses too (for places that require it).

Greg

7. Dyno

Dyno

Thanks Gang, as always the advice here on tech talk from folks with first hand knowledge is the best.....

Thanks , Dyno

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

On the news it was said that up to 70% of home computers are infected with spy ware.

Some of it is for grabbing your financial stuff act no's etc.

How does doing business with a secured site help when its the home computers that are infected?

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

It is extremely rare that spyware will grab your credit card info. You are thinking about phishing - that is a separate concept. As to making sure you are free of spyware, use common sense. Use a safer browser than IE and regularly run ad-aware and spybot. You should also worry about viruses, so use a good anti-virus software. And always, always, protect your network with a good firewall.