close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Online auction purchase

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by ALLINKEDUP, Nov 15, 2002.

1. ALLINKEDUP

ALLINKEDUP

Is it me or do all of the guns on Gunbroker.com cost the same or more than they would if bought at a local shoppe. Most would cost more to start off, and also due to transfer fees and shipping. Is there a site I can go to and find a good deal.

2. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

nope.

i never understood why folks buy from those sites. i buy at gun shows privately and sometimes from dealers. it's always the best price.

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I have gotten some darn good deals at online auctions. Know what you want to spend and don't go over it. Auction arms and gunbroker are good. I don't check them as I know I will buy again. Put in bids fairly early and it will notify you when someone ups the bid. I have been very happy.

4. bitterspleaf

bitterspleaf

I noticed that as well, the prices are pretty much the same sometimes more. But I think that happens everywhere. You have a better chance of getting a good deal on long guns I think, sometimes you can come across some good deals on mags at gunbroker, otherwise, NIB pricing is pretty much on par with most local dealers after everything is said and done. Actually forums are probably your best bet, second only to shows or private sale. As always, it all depends on what you're looking for but I've seen some decent prices at http://www.gunsamerica.com and the mentioned http://www.auctionarms.com as far as auction sites.

5. RangeRat

RangeRat 1,2,3, You Lose

I have purchased 2 guns off GunBroker.com and got good deals both times. A S&W 669 for $275 (excellent condition) and my 2nd Seecamp .32 for $405 (like new with 2 extra mags and 2 holsters).

If you look those guns up on GunBroker, you'll see I got a pretty good deal. ;f

Basically, auctions are a crap shoot...some good deals...some not.

I guess it depends on the gun and how patient you are to keep looking for that "deal".

6. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

I got a nib Les Baer Concept VII for $1150.00 plus a few bucks for shipping. I could have never found that deal locally. But I will likely never buy a common pistol, especially used, over the internet. Better deals can be found on them at garage sales and gun shows.

7. bobh

bobh

Why just because a gun is offerred online is it expected to be cheaper? Most are being sold by the same people that own gun stores or work gun shows. Their costs are the same, why do you expect to find a savings online?
    The benefit of online sales is in not paying sales tax ( in most cases) and the expansion of your market for product search.
    Just look at it as a way to find things that sometimes you can not find at your local store or gunshow.

8. wanta68gt

wanta68gt Savage Nation

I got a pretty good deal on a new 2nd gen g-19 at gunbroker. The people I bought it from at Gabes Guns in Iowa have been very cooperative so far, and I am awaiting my new 19!

9. paulk003

paulk003

I think the whole thing is the amount of time that you are willing to spend. I have found several very good deals on there site. I got a sig p226 in 40S&W with trijicons for $485.00 with the shipping and ffl it came out to $525.00. I also found a Benelli M3 in excellent(Looked damn near new) for $804.00 with the ffl and shipping about $850.00. So there are deals out there. You just have to keep looking!!!!!!

10. specwar

specwar

Patience and a Firm Ceiling on your bid price is key.
    I got a HK USP40 almost NIB $450!
    Savage FP10 308 for $349!
    Plus numerous parts, lights, etc.

Sniping a bid is also commonplace in order to "Steal a Deal"
    Good Hunting
    Specwar Out!

11. watertower

watertower

You can find good deals, if you know what you want and the timing is right. I bought a Glock 27 LNIB for $450 after ship and transfer off of gunbroker.com.

As long as you know what you want, and know what it will cost locally, the auction sites can be useful.

12. Eddie C.

Eddie C. Administrator Moderator CLM

I have bought two guns online. One from GunBroker and one from GunsAmerica. Both of them were guns that I had no chance of finding at my dealers. A Walther P88 (out of production hi-capacity 9mm) and a Wilson Tactical Elite (which would constitute an 8 to 10 month wait to get from Wilson if ordered from him). I try and buy from the local people first even if it cost a couple of dollars more. Those two I never would of found no matter how long I looked and both were brand new.

13. bitterspleaf

bitterspleaf

The only thing about GB that gets kind of annoying is that you get multiple listings from the same seller at a higher than average price. Really slows down the process. I'm sure there's some search feature you can use to block certain sellers that you always see selling for more than you'd find at your local store. I was thinking about buying ammo using GB, any suggestions on sellers that seem to have good stuff? Not to be off topic or anything...;Q

14. gaston's pal

gaston's pal

15. Jacksons Dad

Jacksons Dad

I have bought and sold several items & firearms on Gunbroker. It is like any auction site. REad the feedback on the seller before you bid, know your local prices, ask every possible question before you bid and then DO NOT over bid! Make your original bid, decide upon your max and then watch the bid the last 15 mins before it closes. Alot of people have e-mailed me requesting shipping information before the auction closes only to lose in the last 15 minutes because someone else is waiting for a good deal. For example I bought a Don Hume holster FX suede (Retail 85.00) for $17.50 because the seller didn't have a reserve.

16. stk10767

stk10767

I just picked up a Ruger GP100 off Gunbroker for $285. It was used, but in 98% condition. Almost new. Local shops around here charge $430+tax for the same gun. I saved almost $200.

17. Schmedy

Schmedy

Gunbroker was much better a year or so ago when it was mostly private people selling at good prices, but it is now 98% dealers doing the same auction over and over selling above list hoping someone will buy it. Look at like the ending now and see how many aucions never get a bid due to high prices or reserves. Your best bet now is dealers, shows, and newspaper.

18. Ron Iden

Ron Iden

Just bought my first pistol across GunBroker and was pleased...however should qualify...went directly to the seller and asked for a deal on the pistol on auction and additional mags. With the discount for cash (cashier's check, etc.), was much better than I could find locally.

Agree with other posts though...know your ceiling and stick with it if you want to ride out the clock on the actual auction...ME--probably don't have the patience and have went direct to sellers on EBay also!