One tube regen receiver

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Stainz, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Stainz

Stainz

I was looking under 'SW Receivers' on Evil Bay when I found a listing for a 'One Tube Regenerative Reciver'. It looks nice - acrylic plate on a walnut base. He claims it operates from 12V DC... like a wall-plug power pack. He indicates the tube used is a 1625. I remember the 1625... it has a 12V filament... I think it was the 12V filament ruggedized version of the 807 transmitting tube. I know a pair were used in the old ARC-5 module transmitters from WWII - for 50-75W CW or plate modulated AM. Is my memory correct? My old transmitter tube manuals and 60's ARRL Handbooks are boxed - somewhere. The tube looks like the one I recall - even with a plate cap. Gotta wonder...

Stainz

PS I've been an SWL since '62... got my Radiotelephone First Class (Now'General Radiotelephone') license 9/68.

2. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

3. Stainz

Stainz

Wow... I guess I can toss those musty old tube manuals... if I ever find them! Neat to find everything you need, whether it's a pin-out and max ratings for an old VT - or Jennefer Love-Hewitt's latest Hanes commercial - on the web.

I traded e-mails with the little radio maker. He claims a space-charge effect, akin, I suppose, to the old 12EL6 family of tubes, originally used in car radio's during the 'hybrid' days - when they had the huge Ge single-ended Class A (barely) output transistors following up those 12V DC tubes in the AM radios of the day. Those output stages would regularly fry - thermal runaway - kept me employed '64-'66 while I was in HS. Still, a 1625 for a one-tube regen radio....

Stainz

4. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest