One tough girl - drags 120 lb log 10 miles with foot in a trap

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by itisbruno, Feb 21, 2010.

1. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

SOURCE

Girl caught in trap while walking dog

Written by Jason Zasky as part of Failure Analysis

February 21, 2010 – Krystle Morrow, 19, of Casselman, Ontario, walks her border collie Koby along the same snowmobile trail every day, a typically uneventful excursion.

But this past Thursday afternoon both Krystle and Koby found themselves ensnared in foothold traps, from which she was unable to free herself—or her dog.

So Krystle dragged the ten-foot, 120-pound birch log (to which the traps were attached) over a half-mile through the snow to get help. But when she got inside her home, she couldn’t maneuver the log down the hallway, and was therefore unable to reach the phone and call for help.

When her father Kevin came home from work hours later, he found Krystle and Koby—both bloodied—sitting in the living room. He freed his daughter and the dog and then called an ambulance.

Krystle’s two middle fingers were cut “almost to the bone,” says her dad, who reports that both daughter and collie are now bandaged and recovering, with Koby having spent a night at a nearby animal hospital.

“I’m so lucky that me and my dog are safe. It could have been much worse,” notes Krystle, who says she “doesn’t believe in the trapping of animals” because it’s “really inhumane.”

Concerns about the size of the local coyote population—and reported human-coyote confrontations—may explain the traps. Kevin says the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) is investigating the incident.

According to the MNR Web site, to qualify for a trapping license, a trapper must successfully complete a ministry-administered course that teaches safe and humane trapping practices. Setting traps along a snowmobile trail would presumably not qualify as a safe practice.

2. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Not chillin’

Ten miles or one-half mile? Impressive either way, though.

3. itisbruno

I can't type so good when this guy jumps on my keyboard wanting attention ... sorry, thought I had it fixed to 1/2 - sensational headline compliments of Dieter wanting to go play in the snow ... sorry

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  4. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Not chillin’

He looks like he could drag a log 10 miles through the snow! Nice German name for a GSD, by the way. :wavey:

5. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

She couldn't figure out how to open the trap?

6. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

She may have lacked the physical strength or the leverage to do so. :upeyes:

7. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

It doesn't take much strength. Just a little common sense. They are easy to open.

8. cmb19

cmb19

Now wait, was the trap attached to her foot of fingers? Not that it matters, you can still get fingers and feet out of those traps by pulling even if you aren't strong enough to open them.

9. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

From what I read in the article her fingers are healing... so either they were caught in the trap (how the hell...) or she again lacked strength to open the trap. Not everyone gets basic mechanics. What may seem simple to one person could be complex to another. That's me saying because I know how to work on jet engines and write software everyone else should as well, it doesn't work that way.

10. hvnit2gd

hvnit2gd

half of a mile is a bit different than TEN miles...

11. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

No, you can not get fingers or feet out of leg hold traps by pulling. That would defeat the purpose of the trap. Pulling does nothing but cut the skin and drive the jaws in for a firmer hold.

You have to release the springs. If a hand is caught you will have to step on both sides to release. If a foot is caught you will have to use a hand and foot.

12. itisbruno

My bad, I had a dog jealous that i was paying attention to the keyboard, not him.

13. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  14. cmb19

cmb19

A person's foot is big enough to pull out of the trap, if she's a small girl, yes she may have to use the other foot or hand but the trap will be spread enough to get it off with a little effort. With fingers, yes everyone will have to step on the trap but she definitely wouldn't have to drag a log anywhere. I've watched my dad set off traps with his feet and I know he can get his hand out of a trap if he slips while setting his trapline. I do admit I'm not sure if traps with teeth are legal in Canada, which would make a difference.

I guess I didn't word that first post correctly.

15. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

I wonder if she wasn't out there trying to trip the traps so the cute furry coyotes wouldn't get caught. :faint: Why else would your fingers be caught in a trap you presumably didn't know was there.:dunno:

16. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

She could have injured her fingers trying to pry the trap open.

17. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

Valid.

However, I don't think I would pry until I was cut to the bone if I could drag the log, or try and figure out how to release the trap, then again I'm not a 19 year old girl.

18. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

...alone out in the woods, who suddenly finds a steel jawed trap clamped into their flesh, secured to a large log.

19. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Either way I would find the perp and open up some of this for putting the traps along a snowmobile trail and getting my dog and daughter injured!

[​IMG]

20. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

She obviously did not understand that you need to use some strategy, and not just brute strength, to open the trap.

If she did not realize how the spring force is applied to the jaws, then instead of sliding the springs down the jaws to release them, she probably tried to just spread the jaws open with her hands -- thus cutting her fingers where she gripped the jaws.

One does wonder why she did not just use a stick to pry out the staple holding the trap chain to the log, or dig it out with a pocket knife or even a stone. But I guess until one has had the experience, from the standpoint of someone unfamiliar with mechanical things and stuck in a trap, one should not judge too harshly.

(I bet one lesson she learned is not to walk in the wild alone without a Motorola brick, a revolver, or even just a belt knife....)

-ET