Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes the Glock is durable, reliable, dependable, simple and relatively inexpensive which make it beloved by the bean counters and the troops. However, with the rapid advances of other fantastic plastics and Glock clones the same can be said of some other pistols offered on the market today. Where I have seen the Glock unequalled is weight. For the weight conscious like myself the Glock is the lightest of the polymer pistols! Your thoughts?

·
Registered
21,023 Posts
Yes the Glock is durable, reliable, dependable, simple and relatively inexpensive which make it beloved by the bean counters and the troops. However, with the rapid advances of other fantastic plastics and Glock clones the same can be said of some other pistols offered on the market today. Where I have seen the Glock unequalled is weight. For the weight conscious like myself the Glock is the lightest of the polymer pistols! Your thoughts?
My thoughts? Glocks were “this, that, the other, plastic, crap” etc…until their designs could be legally copied and then all these other manufacturers began looking like glock wanna be’s until they were almost the exact same thing. With some minute differences.

therefore, Glock is the better of them. If not then why were they copied?

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think something you looked over entirely as a rather unique Glock advantage in double stack handguns in that they:

Have the most capacity to height ratio. Only the Shadow Systems 920 and S&W M&P series can compete with Glock in this regard. Every other manufacturer that makes a “compact” is much closer in overall height to the G17 (with 15 rounds in the magazine…) and is much closer in width to the G21 (P320, PPQ, SR9, P10, etc.)

Not too many people can manage to squeeze 16 rounds inside of 5.00 inches tall. Glock can. Shadow Systems can and the S&W M&P gets really close, about .1 of an inch taller.

·
Registered
7,788 Posts
My thoughts? Glocks were “this, that, the other, plastic, crap” etc…until their designs could be legally copied and then all these other manufacturers began looking like glock wanna be’s until they were almost the exact same thing. With some minute differences.

therefore, Glock is the better of them. If not then why were they copied?
Other manufacturers took the polymer-framed, striker-fired model and came up with arguably better pistols before Glock's patents expired. Glock is still able to sell all the pistols they make (so are other manufacturers), but I doubt they're planning on any large-scale increase in production capability.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think something you looked over entirely as a rather unique Glock advantage in double stack handguns in that they:

Have the most capacity to height ratio. Only the Shadow Systems 920 and S&W M&P series can compete with Glock in this regard. Every other manufacturer that makes a “compact” is much closer in overall height to the G17 (with 15 rounds in the magazine…) and is much closer in width to the G21 (P320, PPQ, SR9, P10, etc.)

Not too many people can manage to squeeze 16 rounds inside of 5.00 inches tall. Glock can. Shadow Systems can and the S&W M&P gets really close, about .1 of an inch taller.
i would add glocks double stack mag adaptability...

g26 with a 33 round mag. who else can do that as naturally as glock?

·
Registered
21,023 Posts
Other manufacturers took the polymer-framed, striker-fired model and came up with arguably better pistols before Glock's patents expired. Glock is still able to sell all the pistols they make (so are other manufacturers), but I doubt they're planning on any large-scale increase in production capability.
Ok, let’s just skip the prevailing argument that “they’re plastic garbage” which was one of the biggest arguments before. And now the “better” companies are making plastic guns…

hmmm….. don’t think to hard on that, I don’t want to be sued for any hardship sufferered.

·
Registered
33,107 Posts
Glocks used to be king for firepower per ounce. Not so much any more.

But they are still king when it comes to detail stripping. There are no other makes I would even attempt to detail strip down to bare parts. Gaston really is a genius.

·
Registered
33,107 Posts

And Glock would be able to get even more if they would finally move to all metal mags.

But let's face it, newer model Glocks do not have the extreme height to capacity ratios that the older ones do. Case in point: G43 holds 6, Hellcat holds 11.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
805 Posts
And Glock would be able to get even more if they would finally move to all metal mags.

But let's face it, newer model Glocks do not have the extreme height to capacity ratios that the older ones do. Case in point: G43 holds 6, Hellcat holds 11.

View attachment 1066412
True and why I own a Hellcat instead of a G26, but I stated that Glock has most of the competition beat within the double stack form factor in terms of capacity to height ratio. As well as being generally lighter and thinner in the slide and frame dimensions. The majority of competing 9mm “compact” designs are functionally as tall as the G17/45/19X while being almost or as wide in the slide and frame as the Glock large frame series G21/20/30/29

Comparing the G17/G45 to some competitors “compact” double stack 9mm model pistols. Two more rounds in the Glock for roughly the same overall height.

Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Grey Line Gun barrel

The FN 509 Midsize is really close to the G19 in overall height. The Shadow Systems 920 compact as well as the S&W M&P 2.0 compact managed to equal the G19 for firepower to height ratio and both are exactly 5.00 inches tall.

So the market has come a long way and finally there are some competing polymer striker fired compact double stack pistols I may take a look at for carry purposes.

Photograph White Trigger Air gun Mammal

Photograph Trigger Line Gun barrel Gun accessory

Product Trigger Air gun Line Gun barrel

Attachments

·
NRA Member
4,198 Posts
I have nothing to think.....

·
Registered
GLOCK® 19X & 43X
4,381 Posts
The first polymer striker fired pistol IS The Hk VP70Z
It was released in 1969/1970 52 years ago
I think anything similar is a copy of the Hk VP70
I Love Glocks & have had one since 1991 = 31 years
Also have the SIG P320 but haven't bought a P365 YET!
My G19X & G43X are some of my most used handguns

The K6S is sweet but costs double of a Ruger SP101

This post needs some pictures
Photograph Air gun Trigger Wood Line
Brown Air gun Trigger Wood Line

1 - 20 of 96 Posts