One Shot And Progressives

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by George Kaplan, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

That lube is my standard rifle brass lube method too. I've tried different methods, but find I like the good old lube pad. It works best when the pad is almost dry.

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I'm not saying this is my opinion, but I've heard the viewpoint that:

as brass expands during the powder burn, the walls of the brass should stick momentarily to the chamber. Then a nearly instantaneous slight cooling and contraction to allow extraction.

What I wondered is, what difference would it make if all that force just slid to the rear of the chamber? I dunno :)

3. xTerpx

xTerpx

One thing I noticed about One Shot in the whole month I have been using it ( :)) is that it felt nice and slick and not wet whatsoever after it was applied and dried. I thought it was perfect.

However, a couple weeks later, I am noticing it's...not quit tacky...but no longer slick, per se. I don't know how to describe it.

It doesn't concern me that it will become a dirt magnet and gunk up my magazines, but it no longer has the same slickness to the touch it did hours after it was applied. I am therefore questioning my approach of spraying some in a bag, coating all the cases, and leaving them stored until ready to reload.

Conversely, the cases I wet-tumbled with 'Wash and Wax' are still just as slick (tenfold more slick, easy) as when they came out out of the oven after cleaning.

I had my son do a 'blind case test' with a dozen cases—half with a week or two old One Shot and half without (but cleaned with wash and wax). I was able to pick the One Shots out 100% of the time. Just my observations.

4. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

That's why I like to use One Shot very sparingly. It does leave a residue when slathered on thick.

George Kaplan and xTerpx like this.
  5. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Dunno. Never heard all that theory before.

I've been building my rounds roughly the same way since I began about 10 years ago. Don't necessarily like to hear "well, we've always done it that way" and that isn't always the best reason to continue to do it a certain way. Just that I have had no known problems. Ignorance is bliss.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  6. SARDG

I give nearly a dusting at a 45 degree angle from all (4) sides of the 4 shell holders that hold 50 pieces each. I put all four full holders on a (manual) turntable and turn it. Those shell holders now have some serious residue - but they've been sprayed many hundreds of times.

George Kaplan likes this.
  7. SARDG

With the One Shot, and your process, is the brass case 'sticking' to any die, or does your press seem difficult to cycle? I just loaded up 100 rounds tonight and noticed how incredibly smooth the press was processing my rounds. But I spray at that 45 degree angle down into the case, and feel that a dusting of OS is getting pretty low on the exterior of the case as well.

After spraying this way, I know I've kept sprayed brass in a sealed Ziploc for a month or more, and exposed cases in the case feeder maybe that long. Hornady says to start sizing in 10 minutes I think, but doesn't mention any extended brass storage time after spraying.

xTerpx likes this.
  8. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

I had no idea.

9. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

That's how I do it too. I use it sparingly with the thought that they are pistol cases and I'm using carbide dies so in theory, I shouldn't even need case lube but I learned it don't hurt. Learned that when loading some 10mm.

While checking case fill while loading, I noticed some powder sticking to the inside walls of the cases as a result of the OS. I assume that's fine.

10. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

I size off the progressive for rifle ammo, using my turret press. Use the wax, with the expander ball removed. Have an M die to expand the case on the progressive. Cases are tumbled after sizing using an ounce of mineral spirits mixed with a capfull of Nu Finish. Let the mixture run for about 20 minutes without the brass to allow it to spread in the media.

Brass comes out clean and runs through the progressive easily.

flyover likes this.
  11. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

It also depends on how you clean your cases a media tumbler will leave a light coating of lubricant on the cases especially if you are adding something to it. I used to use dryer sheets when I used and the cases came out pretty slick.
    When I went to ss pin washing the cases are stripped of everything and something has to be reapplied if not those cases will want to stick to the powder funnel. I've also noticed they will tarnish alot faster with nothing on them with in 1-2 weeks.
    If you go heavy on the one shot it does get build up. But I've not yet noticed it causing a problem. Another thing I do is I liberated the wife's old hair dryer and I will hit the pile for 2-3 minutes with the hair dryer on full that seems to help drying off that last tiny bit.

12. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Absolutely.

Some corn cob with some NuFinish added in is all you need. It removed the One Shot and gives the brass one final cleaning.

Ammo companies do it with their ammo, but they use rotary tumblers the size of cement mixers.

I have not had any problem with long term storage and tarnishing. Granted I live in Colorado where it is pretty dry.

13. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Don't even bother with wet lubes. I've used dry Teflon for decades. It's not sticky, nor does it have to be re-cleaned after loading.

[​IMG]

ThomasM4 and rangerhgm like this.
  14. SARDG

Every now and again I'll notice a kernel or two in the case. But I don't really load the cases until they are well-dried. Probably somewhere between 1 hour to >1 month after spraying. The rounds I loaded (sooo smoothly) last night had brass that had been sprayed about two days prior. All my reloading and storage is climate controlled though.

Hornady says to spray inside the cases, and I know my fairly light application is fine as I recently shot some 8 year old reloads of mine.

15. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

Same here

16. fredj338

fredj338

You dont really need to but if it bothers you, dump them into a towel & roll them around.

Rusty Gun likes this.
  17. gunowner1

gunowner1

I've lubed thousands of reloads with One Shot and never removed any of it. I've never had any issues.

SARDG and xTerpx like this.
  18. fredj338

fredj338

That would increase for e on the breech face/bolt face, not good.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.