One semi rimfire rifle - 10/22 or MP15-22 or ??

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Grabbrass, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Redeemed

Redeemed

I’m in the same boat as above. If I had to chose it would be the 10/22. Only because of familiarity and maybe nostalgia. I got my first one in 1979. But the M&P is a dang good rimfire for most uses. Mine has eaten everything I’ve put through it clean or dirty. The only thing I don’t like about it is the factory stock is really short.

2. hardluk1

hardluk1

I have zero interest in owning a AR15 22lr .

I learned to shoot a rifle when I was a kid with a rem 511P bolt action . Pretty down good all around rifle I would shoot more If my eyes were good enough to see the standard receiver sight and added glob front sight well and used it to teach our girls with and now grand kids . Good old rifle .

We have 2 - 10/22's built as very different customs , one lite short and accurate one heavily long and very accurate but prices vary . I would have NO interest in a bone stock 10/22 regardless of model 22lr , rather buy a marlin 60 . BUT as a custom the 10/22 is to choice and a quick way to spend some bucks !!

But the rifle I apt to reach for first when something needs to be dispatched is a Savage BV that I tuned the stock trigger to a 15oz to 1lb 2oz break weight and it wears 6-24 x44mm tmd scope . This was an easy rifle to shoot well with a number of ammo labels and would still be a top choice for a 22lr .

3. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

That is a good idea. Glad I thought of it. ;)

[​IMG]

Mine is made from a Brownells' BRN22 receiver with a cut down 10/22 stock, 10" barrel and folding pistol brace. I pretty much had everything from an old, cheap 10/22 but the receiver and folding mechanism.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    DrewBone likes this.
  4. Stuntman Mike

Stuntman Mike

10/22 gets my vote. I have the basic carbine my dad bought in the mid 80s. still accurate and fun as ever. Just a week or two ago I took possession of a Ruger custom shop 10/22. Light colored laminated stock not the textured gray one. It is a beautiful little rifle and punches holes that all touch. I don't know squat about customizing 10/22s but from what others say Ruger did a great job with the custom shop model and sell it at a decent value.

5. DrewBone

DrewBone

Oh you so funnyyyyyyyyyyyyy (insert: image of young Asian girl holding a hand over her face as she giggles)!!

Mac I remember you posting about your above build both here and over at RimfireCentral, which along with a few other examples/images that I'd come across on the 'net all collectively contributed to my final build, thanks :D

6. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

They aren't very exotic, certainly nothing like some of the wild/cool/accurate/expensive 10/22s I've seen here and elsewhere. I generally just change the stock and/or barrel, fix the trigger pull (VQ hammer or equiv), add some do-dads here and there, and mount an appropriate optic for the intended use. 2 are take-downs, each of them usually ride in one of the vehicles all winter, JIC.

I'll see what I can do about getting a group shot together.
    But I warn you, it will be fairly underwhelming.

7. J_Rico

J_Rico

Find friends that own them and try both.

Only you know what is right for you.

Personally I have not gotten the 10/22 out of the safe since I bought a 15-22. But, you and I could see it differently.

DJ Niner, Uncle Don and B C like this.
  8. DrewBone

DrewBone

Truth be told DJ, I'm not at all fond of the "exotic" 10/22 rifles, especially the ones with odd mixtures of anodized parts and alien looking laminated stocks in colors that don't go well together at all! What I do get a kick out of are the folks who buy parts for their build piecemeal, adding images on discussion forums of the process as the individual parts are collected, and then when it's "finished" they of course include their lo-o-o-o-ng laundry I mean build list right down to the last spring (instead of just typing "Volquartsen Competition Kit" they post each individual part of the kit) to make their creation stand out and appear as if they've got "...so much into it" and to have it come off more impressive than the next swingin' Richard's blown out 10/22 clone posted on the same discussion board a week earlier.

It wouldn't bore me in the least if all your 10/22's were plain Jane...I myself generally like to adhere to the K.I.S.S. principle, having no particular purposes for my firearms other than having them provide proper function, reliability, and accuracy; flashy colors and other accoutrements are for those more concerned with image than anything else, so please don't worry about me finding your 10/22's fairly "underwhelming"...I assure you I won't :D

DJ Niner likes this.
  9. DJ Niner

That's darn good advice, if it can be arranged, along with answering the "what are you intending to DO with it?" question.

And my M&P 15-22 has been gathering dust for a while now, although in all fairness, that also is related to my getting a pistol-caliber AR that I could shoot on the indoor pistol range. Previously, the .22 AR was the primary cheap-and-convenient practice/trainer. Now the 9mm AR has taken over that role for me, with the advantage of it having very similar recoil characteristics.

The M&P 15-22 still serves well as a trainer for brand-new-to-ARs-or-guns shooters, though.

V Gehts likes this.
  10. techiej

techiej

Tried both and bought the M&P 15-22. Just enjoyed shooting it more.
    Now if I wanted a takedown in 22, it would have been the Ruger.

Uncle Don and V Gehts like this.
  11. J_Rico

J_Rico

I have found that 15-22+suppressor+steel plate = giggles

Though I as well am a big AR9 fan.

12. hnp684

hnp684

13. DJ Niner

Here's a link to my 10/22 pic and post in the Rimfire Photos thread:

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/rimfire-pics.726737/page-23#post-29303600

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  14. seagravedriver

seagravedriver

I have both. As well as a bolt action .22 that is flippin' awesome! That being said, if you are looking to be incognito, Ruger. Can appear very meek and mild, or dress it up. The Smith "looks evil". Whatever, they both work well. I have had less feeding issues with my Smith, it was bought a few years ago. The 10/22 about 1988.

15. Longbow

Longbow Millennium Member

If you already own an AR type rifle, the MP15 makes more sense. Think of it as an "understudy" rifle.

16. pike bishop

pike bishop finishes it...

17. Sniff

Sniff

I have owned my 10/22 since about 1987 or so. My first rifle and one I still use for possums, rabbits, magpies and the like. Super reliable and very quiet with the suppressor and polymer buffer. Compact, reliable magazines.

I also have a M&P 15/22 and love it for IPSC mini rifle, Speed Steel and similar stuiff on the range. The ergonomics are simply better for that stuff, for me.
    The magazines are much bigger, more expensive and if I keep dropping them on the ground, I'm sure they'll break faster then a 10/22 one will.

I love both, but for just one. I'll stick with the 10/22.

pike bishop and DJ Niner like this.
  18. ModGlock17

ModGlock17

IMG_0081.JPG

It depends what you want to do with the guns. Each seemed to designed for a different purpose. I went for a bolt design for precision shooting at 50yard target.

One 15-22 owner showed a 1" grouping at 50yrds on YouTube. LOL. Clearly, an assault style isn't about precision, but it'd be a lot of fun walking in the woods with.

Kidd guarantees his 10/22 to 1/2" at 50yrds. It should do even better than that.

The bolt design, single load single shot, can do very well but highly dependent on ammo mfgr and how you have " accurized" it.

Again, your choice of gun depends on your application of it. And you can have a gun for each application. If I have 20+ acres of wooded terrain like northern Georgia (Deliverance style) I'd pick the 15-22. But if I have the prairie expanse of Kansas, I'd go for more precision.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  19. BC42

BC42

20. dbuck47

dbuck47

10/22

I will throw a couple more out there. They are a little pricey but nice Browning BL-22 and SA-22. I think the 10/22 is still more rugged though.

V Gehts likes this.