One semi rimfire rifle - 10/22 or MP15-22 or ??

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Grabbrass, Jul 4, 2020.

1. illrooster132

illrooster132

true that.!

2. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

I have a number of 10/22s, most of them pretty much stock except for a scope and sling. Does everything I need a 22 to do.

Grabbrass likes this.

3. MNBud

MNBud

I own both, the 10/22 is highly modified which is a plus for buying one of them. The 15-22 pretty much set up from the get-go. Have added a red dot, bi-pod and sling, waiting for a suppressor to get out of jail and I'm sure that will add to the joy of shooting the Smith.

Grabbrass and B C like this.
  4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I'm of the opinion that the only thing the M&P does better, is act as a stand-in or trainer for moving up to a standard AR rifle. Mine works fine and does a great job in training new shooters for the eventual move to a centerfire AR. But I only have one S&W M&P .22.

I have a different 10/22 for every day of the week.

5. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

My opinion?

10/22..

More compact and transportable, possibly more customization, no “evil looking assault rifle” implications with concerned neighbors, when you’re backyard plinking etc..

Here’s mine..

It shoots as amazing as it looks...

I shoot squirrels, rats and raccoons out of my fruit trees w/ CCI supressor ammo and my neighbors don’t even know I have the gun..

10/22 Takedown, w/ Tacsol 12” shrouded barrel, Silencerco Sparrow Supressor and Magpul Backpacker Stock

5EBC1CC7-6A02-4ADB-9989-73EBB0EF4E77.png 17A72872-5D55-4D0D-95B4-E8485B02203D.png 92E6F939-84E2-4939-8FDF-BBC89642C245.png BA37EA4D-0E38-4A0C-A3CE-34C8ABF76297.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  6. DrewBone

DrewBone

Hey Grabby! I might have mentioned this before, but how about you step away from the norm and build yourself a Ruger Charger pistol clone instead of becoming just another S&W 15-22 owner?

You could start with the Ruger Charger itself as the basis, or you could buy a receiver from Tactical Innovations, Brownells, Kidd, Volquartsen, etc., to use as the foundation for your build. Since it's a pistol to begin with you can put any length barrel you choose on it at any time so it can serve multiple roles...a short barrel for close work, a longer barrel in combination with a pistol brace for reaching out there a bit, or anything inbetween.

There are numerous barrel manufacturers out there who can afford you steel or stainless bull barrels, or aluminum types with steel liners, and lightweight alumimum/carbon fiber/tensioned steel. Not to mention OEM or billet aluminum trigger housings, competition bolts, trigger groups, extended magazine releases, billet stocks to accomodate braces, and more.

Now by comparison, where are you going to find much of anything for the S&W 15-22? And when you do, what's it gonna' be, a new stock, handguard, trigger, or? How freakin' boring! At least with the Charger or Charger clone you have an almost endless list of ways to make it your own.

I chose to start with a Brownells BRN-22R railed receiver, then added an OEM Ruger bolt assembly & pins, Ruger BX-25 trigger group, KIDD 6" threaded blued steel barrel, NoDak Spud NDS-22 front sight, UTG subcompact adjustable rear sight, and lastly a Troy Industries short grip. For the stock I found a used black polymer OEM Ruger Charger stock at a gunshow for $20 and shortened it's length and inletted it to accomodate the larger .920" diameter KIDD barrel and NoDak Spud "barrel band" type front sight. The latter took a little bit of tedious planning and work, but it's short and sweet, and there's not another one like it out there: 20200316_155522.jpg
    20200316_160330.jpg
    20200316_160056.jpg
    20200316_155950.jpg
    I built this firearm to be a different type of pistol suppressor host, and I had no intentions of making a multiple role firearm out of it, which is one reason why I went with the KIDD barrel; unlike the typical loose fitting Ruger Charger receiver/barrel arrangement, the KID barrel is fit to the receiver, usually set up with a very slight interference fit between the two, which required me to open up the Brownells receiver bore dimension until it was .001" smaller then the barrel tenon. So when it came time to assemble the two components a heat gun was required to expand the receiver bore to allow the barrel to be installed and it's extractor slot aligned correctly with the extractor of the bolt. Again, this required a bit of tedious work but it was worth it to virtually eliminate the "barrel droop" that can accompany a loose receiver/barrel fit on Ruger 10/22 firearms along with eliminating any eating of the extractor slot from it being out of alignment with the bolt's extractor during cycling.

Receiver bore with finish removed and polished, ready for the interference fitting of the barrel:
    20200313_171905.jpg
    After the application of a little heat followed by the proper extractor slot alignment, and ahhhhhhhh...:
    20200313_180956.jpg
    So give building a Charger clone some consideration...you can spend as little or as much $$ as you want on it, and spend as much time and effort as you want in the planning and building stage, and you'll have the potential to have yourself something special and different. I think it'll be worth it over the S&W 15-22 rifle ;)

7. DrewBone

DrewBone

Oh? Post up some images when you can, I'm interested in seeing them :D

8. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

10/22 just not the “take down”

9. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I thought I needed a 10/22. I bought one. It’s NIB never fired. Just shouldering, looking thru scope... I realized it wasn’t better then the old bolt action I’ve used for 40+ yrs.

Uncle Don likes this.
  10. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Gotta say that is badass. I have FWIW already watched this MAC video on YT more than once before ever starting this thread.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoC8Q40NVRY

Yeah don't even get me started on the regret I have for walking away from a pristine early 50's Marlin 39a, complete with front sight shroud even, that was in our Cabela's for $439 when it first opened. Seemed like too much at the time. Doh.

11. slym2none

slym2none

12. Intolerant

Intolerant

I chose the 1022 long ago. Nothing against the M&P, but i can walk into most any gun supply store, and lots of stuff on the shelves for the 1022. When was the last time you could walk into a store and buy a mag, even a barrel for the M&P AR style 22. There isnt anything the M&P will do any better than a 1022 will. Actually alot less options for the M&P, if you think about it. The 1022 is a clear winner in the 22 world. Everybody should own at least one 1022. But its your money, your choice. Do what you think makes it work best, for you.

13. B C

B C

My local gun stores have the mags. Dicks Sporting Goods even sold them when they had gun stuff.

Intolerant and cyphertext like this.
  14. cyphertext

cyphertext

As others have said, depends on what you want to do with the rifle. For bone stock, out of the box shooting, I'll go with the M&P 15-22. The sights are better. I've added Tech Sights to my 10/22 to get click repeatable type sights. If you want an AR trainer, the nod goes to the S&W, although I prefer my CMMG Quebec A rifle for a .22 lr trainer, as the weight is the same. If you want to go to Appleseed, the 10/22 gets the nod as the M&P was banned.

If I was going to limit myself to just one and pick from those two, I would probably go with the M&P. I'm not one that modifies my guns much and the M&P is ready to go out of the box. Add a sling and a red dot or other optic of your choosing, and call it good. I had to add sling mounts to my 10/22 to add the sling as well as Tech Sites to get the 10/22 to equal the M&P out of the box.

Just to throw a curve ball here, one of my favorite .22lr is my Ruger American .22 lr. It is a bolt action, but it will take those Ruger magazines you already have. Mine is pretty accurate by my standards. I can typically keep 9 out of 10 rounds inside a 1" square at 50 yards using bulk ammo. There are rifles that are more accurate, but not at that price point and that use my 10/22 magazines.

DJ Niner and B C like this.
  15. cyphertext

cyphertext

You won't find a barrel, but magazines should not be an issue. And if they carry AR accessories, you can change just about everything else out to your liking.

Intolerant and B C like this.
  16. evlbruce

evlbruce

Shot a lot of 10/22, customized them, and detail stripped 'em. Less than impressed with them. But hey, they are cheap... until you've added up all the aftermarket spent on them.

17. Bradley T

Bradley T

I'd have to get the S&W. Friend has one. It shoots very well. Might cost a little more, but it is just plain cool.

Intolerant likes this.
  18. Intolerant

Intolerant

You`re lucky, stores here within a 50 mile radius carry nothing for the M&P. I`ve only seen a M&P22 once in the last few years here, and thats only because somebody ordered it at the LGS and then backed out of the deal and it was sitting there for quite awhile. I guess they just arent that popular where i live. I`ve read good reviews on them, dunno what the deal is here. I wouldnt mind trying one out, i think they are pretty kool!

19. Intolerant

Intolerant

Couldnt tell ya. Pretty rare bird in my area. As i commented to BC, i wouldnt mind shootin one just to see what its like.

20. cyphertext

cyphertext

Sounds like LGS is the problem. Cabela’s, Bass Pro, Academy... all the big box stores that carry the rifle carry the magazines, as do all the mail order places.

Intolerant likes this.