One semi rimfire rifle - 10/22 or MP15-22 or ??

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Grabbrass, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

So I don't own a 22 rifle, know I should. I have 3 of those Ruger BX-25 mags I got as a gift some years back when I told my brother I was planning to buy myself a 10/22 for my birthday, but I changed my mind without telling him about it. Figured I'd get one eventually anyway. But the Smith 15-22 looks a little more practical for a range plinker, a little easier to deal with re: accessories, optics and such, since it's an AR clone, a little more adjustable, yada yada. On the flipside, the 10/22 can be customized infinitely and isn't as mall ninja, but every change is a nickel & dime job.

I'm sure given the current situation someone would pay me fair value on those BX-25's, they've never been used, still in the pckgs., and nobody seems to have them in stock right now. So I'm not married to the 10/22 despite having those mags sitting around. Which one? Accuracy, reliability, trigger (assume using Ruger BX trigger)??

2. NewYorker

NewYorker

My personal opinion. Both would work fine.

Me though. I love the 10/22. Especially now with the takedown. Got mine in 2008. Ive only added a new buffer and a sling. Its no competition shooter, you see. But, it hits what Im aiming at and is a hoot to shoot. In total of 10k+ rounds using crap ammo, Ive only had a handful of issues.

Depends on the style of gun you want. If youre into ARs and want a training tool, if you will, then MP 15-22 might be better suited. Cant go wrong with either.

3. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

The 10/22 is on my must have list.

The MP 15-22 is on my nice to have list.

RC22, Nucflash, rogn and 9 others like this.
  4. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I have an MP5-A5 chambered in .22LR that is a ton of fun.

But for a more general purpose rifle, one of the 10/22 takedown models looks pretty sweet.

Intolerant and Grabbrass like this.
  5. Bus007

Bus007

Ive had a 10 22 for decades. I bought the new heavy barrel target A few years ago. I bought the SW MP 15 22 A year ago. I have 20 mags for the smith. The smith gets used by my son a lot. The smith has impressed me, we load up all of the mags and shoot it, rinse and repeat. The accuracy of the smith is equal to the ruger. The smith is less picky with ammo, I’d recommend the smith.

porschedog, Intolerant and Grabbrass like this.
  6. Out West

Out West Just lack finishing up

My choice would be the 10/22. Its light and simple. All kinds of parts and mods available (if you want to go that route). Its accurate enough and easy to learn and shoot. Reliable too. I've never had a problem with any I have owned.

Dynactus, Intolerant and Grabbrass like this.
  7. sig357fan

sig357fan

I own both and do not consider them even remotely close in regards to the role either fill in my firearms collection.

I've owned my 10 22 for decades and is highly customized, the only parts remaining from the rifle I purchased over 25 years ago is the receiver, bolt and some of the receiver internals, it wears a heavy 22" barrel fitted in a Hogue over mold stock with a BX trigger, a Primary Arms 4x14 FFP Mil/Mil scope sits atop in leupold mount and rings. with the right ammo, there's not a squirrel with in 75 yards I can't head shot if it sits still for only a moment, whacking golf balls at 100 yard even with cheaper bulk ammo is a fun afternoon well spent.

My S&W 15 22 is as stock as the day I picked it up save the buttstock and sling, tho a flat top, it wears standard sights front and back, rear sight elevation is used to dial in for ranges from 25 to 100 yards, ventilating soda cans out to 50 yards and 2 liter bottles out to 100 yard is not only fun but good practice for an AR 15 in 5.56, this is the rifle that I have new shooters fire first that are interested in the AR platform, all controls are identical to the AR platform and very similar to the AR platform for break down and cleaning.

the more important question than which one is what do I want my 22 rifle to do? once you figure that out, you'll know which one to get.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  8. B C

B C

I asked the same question a couple years back after being pretty sold on the 10/22, but the members here convinced me to get the 15-22. They were right and I don't regret that purchase at all. It's lightweight, very easy to take down and clean, and the mags are the gold standard for 22 AR mags. Very cheap and plentiful too.

Scott60, Intolerant and Grabbrass like this.
  9. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Nothing at all against a 10-22, but for me, it's the 15-22. A modern day Nylon 66 with only three steel parts being the bbl, hammer and bolt. Sinfully easy to take down and clean thoroughly and is ultra reliable and accurate. Controls are the same as it's big brothers and can easily and quickly be used anywhere from open sight to advanced optics.

Scott60, Grabbrass and GlockPride like this.
  10. Grumpy_old_man

Grumpy_old_man

Which .22 rifle?
    10/22 is the winner by a mile.

Its been out there forever, parts and accessories are commonly available and it can go wild or mild depending on your taste. A Butler Creek folder, BX-25 mags, and a red dot sight will make it as "scary" to gun-haters as its possible to be, if that's what you want, yet with the wood stock and standard 10 banger it sails under their radar.

The MP15-22 will always be a lookalike AR and thus on the enemies' ****-list by name no matter what features it has or doesn't have. So if you want a rifle that can do anything you want it to, yet be low profile so you don't have to worry about it getting banned any time soon go 10/22.

Grumpy

Nucflash, Sniff, hnp684 and 3 others like this.
  11. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

I have a Ruger 10/22 and a Sig 522 SWAT. I shoot my Ruger a lot more.

The Ruger can be customized to a high extent.

Other than looking Tactical I don’t find the SWAT to have any significant advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Intolerant, Grabbrass and DJ Niner like this.
  12. Current Resident

Current Resident

If you enjoy working on your rifle, upgrades or hand fitting and such the 1022 is for you.

Intolerant, Grabbrass and DJ Niner like this.
  13. Current Resident

Current Resident

The Sig 522 has a reputation to reliably cycle just about any ammo without any modification.

DAW9347, Grabbrass and CDR_Glock like this.
  14. ronin.45

ronin.45

I'm a 10/22 guy, but the 15-22 would be my next choice. Both very capable guns.
    You can't really go wrong on this one.

Intolerant and Grabbrass like this.
  15. Pete Perfection

Pete Perfection Previously Pete perfection

Every man should own a ruger 10/22 a glock 9mm and a mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

DAW9347, pgg00, VTEC214 and 7 others like this.
  16. V Gehts

V Gehts

10-22 is cool, shot and worked on quiet a few, Lotsa’ options/ builds for the platform.
    Have a 15-22,great shooter, Red Dot equipped, love it for steel, and CQB shooting, even looks badassed.
    Also Love my Marlin 60 with glass, for me it too is a fun affordable shooter. Setup for bench long distance shooting.
    Might as well admit my lever Goldenboy looks the part, and puts a smile on my face when holding, shooting or just looking at...

DAW9347, Intolerant and Grabbrass like this.
  17. Blanton

Blanton

Handle them both, shoot if you can, then decide which fits your needs yourself. Only you can make the best decision unless you're looking for validation.

Grabbrass and Uncle Don like this.
  18. arndog123

arndog123

I have both and like them equally. You really can’t go wrong with either.

Is last round bolt hold open important to you? The 10/22 doesn’t have this feature but the TCR22 does. This rifle is basically a 10/22 clone and mags and parts interchange.

Ive had mine for a few weeks and have been pretty pleased with it. Definitely like the LRBHO feature. IMHO it’s a better value than a standard 10/22.

DAW9347, Intolerant and Grabbrass like this.
  19. Terps

Terps

As an alternative, you may want to look at a Henry Lever action. I have an H001 base model and love to shoot it. It is accurate, holds about 14 rounds in the tube magazine and will eat any ammo.

Nucflash, lazarus66 and Grabbrass like this.
  20. VoodooMountain

VoodooMountain

I have a 10/22 and find myself pining for the 15-22.

I'm sure if I had the 15-22 I would still want the 10/22.