close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

One rep max - Squat

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by nsb22, May 13, 2006.

1. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

We decided to figure out what our one rep max's were, so we started with squats.

Like the fool I am, I decided to start out at 180, which is the weight I usually do when I remember to do squats. About an hour later we finally get to 315. I got it up, and probably could have gone higher, but after 40 minutes of squats I was tired and called it a night.

I'm not trying to brag, but I thought this was pretty good since I rarely work my legs! Thanks to my father, I have to buy pants one size too big so my thighs will fit. If I buy the correct size, they are skin tight!

Now I'm starting to wonder how much more I can do!:freak:

2. DBradD

DBradD

Is that the "good ole gym half squat" or a REAL squat like in competition? ;) It doesn't really count unless the top of your thigh where it joins the hip sinks to slightly lower than the top of your kneecap. :supergrin:

Your Pal
    DBD (AKA the Wet Blanket)

Seriously, though, if you're interested in squats and strength in general, you might consider learning powerlifting from somebody who knows enough to teach you. You might get many hundreds of pounds more than that with serious training.

DBD

3. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

Half squats, what are those?

I made fun of a buddy the other day who was cheating his squats! His excuse, "You'll ruin your knees if you go any farther than this!"

4. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

I don't think there are many powerlifters in my area, and I can't really afford a gym membership. The equipment I use now is what we have at the fire department.

A few months ago we got some new dumbells in!!!! We now go up to 110 lbs. Used to only go to 60.

With my luck, the 110's aren't to far away for my shrugs! GOD, I love shoulder shrugs!!!!! Don't know why, but they are my favorite. Maybe its because some one can try and talk to me, and the whole time I can just go, "I don't know.":alien:

5. DBradD

DBradD

LOL. I was just giving you a hard time of course. Half squats are what powerlifters call the squats that nonpowerlifters do. :clown:

DBD

6. DBradD

DBradD

I did those today, but I forgot my straps. That's a pretty darn good way to ruin a back workout! I guess I went there to do back but ended up working forearms. Shrugs has always been one of my favorites also.

One of the resident hulksters was there doing bunches of shrug reps with 605. I used to be able to do that, but I'd probably pull 605 muscles if I tried that now that I'm an old man.

DBD

7. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

I'm gonna have to see if there is someone into power lifting in my area. The guy I used to work out with left the department, and of course the other guys lift for the look, instead of the strength.

I have never worked out with any regularity, but I know from a job I had building retaining walls, that I can put the muscle on pretty fast. Which is I why I wonder if I find some one knowledgeable in power lifting, what I may be capable of.

Thanks for putting the idea in my head!!!:clown: :cool:

I'm only 26, so I've got years of lifting ahead of me.

8. DBradD

DBradD

Do an internet search for powerlifting contests in your area, or at least within a few hours. Look also for bench press contests, which are a bit more common. You might be able to meet some people there. If you have good form and can pick up refinements from watching others, you might be able to get into powerlifting without a partner or teacher. There's a mag called Powerlifting USA that you could read also. You'll need a gym that has a deadlift area (nothing fancy, just somewhere that you can lower the weight fairly hard and not have people complain) and a good squat rack--that's about it.

I pretty much taught myself in my late teens until I was about 22. There are some freaky strong people out there, but they didn't get there overnight. When I competed (drug free, used to call it the ADFPA), I was either in the 165 or 181 class and squatted and deadlifted a little over 500 and bench pressed about 300. The winners squatted and deadlifted about 650 and bench pressed about 400. I had a buddy in the 148 class who bench pressed 340 and knew a 165 guy who deadlifted about 600. Genetics definitely play a monstrous role. A winning powerlifter is naturally very strong and light. For example, a 400 lb bench press SOUNDS like a lot, but it's really not except in the lower weight classes.

My biggest problem with wholeheartedly recommending powerlifting is the injury potential, which I judge as very high, but that's just my experience and opinion. Several folks I knew (including me) were pretty much forced to quit due to injury. If you're interested and careful then it's probably worth looking into anyway. You only live once right? Good luck.

DBD

9. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

Just giving you an idea of where I'll be starting from.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those were taken last July'ish. I was 200 pounds 4 years ago, and due to the fact that I've let myself go and my main job is 80% sitting around, I'm at 230 right now.

I have started running/jogging/walking the last couple of weeks and hope to be able to get back down to at least 200. Weight chart says I should be 165, but I can't see that happening.

Thanks for the good luck!

Turns out there was a squat and bench comp. today at a nearby gym!

10. DBradD

DBradD

How tall are you? You might be surprised how light you'd be at 10% bodyfat, for example. I recently went from 202 to 168 to about 9-10% bodyfat. I remember when I started, I told my wife that I had about 15 lbs to lose. LOL.

You could get your bodyfat percentage checked at a local gym or use bodyfat measuring scales. That would give you an idea of how much fat you could lose. Figure that you'll lose more weight than that because muscle also will be lost during a substantial fat loss program. I know if I were trying to break into powerlifting, I'd much rather be in the 165 or 181 division than the 220, assuming I wasn't a natural 220 that is.

DBD

11. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

I am 5'8". The scale that I have now says I am at 17% body fat. It is one of the ones where you put in measurements, and it figures everything out via resistance and what not. I've always kinda questioned if the thing was really accurate though.

12. DBradD

DBradD

I recently bought one of those scales and I posted a thread about it here somewhere. They read a lot different throughout the day, but are fairly consistent at the same time of day. Mine reads anywhere from 10%-11% in the morning and 7-8% in the evening. Calipers put me at 9.5%, so I figure that the mid-day scale measurement is probably closest for me. At 5'-8", you might find yourself at 181 if you really try to lean out. Like I typed, it can be surprising, partially because of muscle loss.

DBD

13. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

I might have to start a log on here, like the ones they do on bb.com. That way it would be one more thing to make sure I get my but up and moving.

I start training monday for a promotion i got, so I'll be working 8's instead of 12's for a few weeks. After that I go to nights, and I can see myself working out after working nights better than I do when I work days.

Monday is my start date. Time to get my arse back in shape.

In case you have never been there bb.com is bodybuilding.com

Thanks!!

If I forget to post stuff, someone should yell at me!

14. Reyn

Reyn Times Up

Nsb22, you definately need to get with someone who could help you on your form. Powerlift squats to are easier once you get the form down. The bar is carried across the top of the rear delts as opposed to the traps. Once you get the hang of it you will be suprised how much more weight you can use. Most guys i see who arent used to squatting break at the knees first and try to squat down with their knees coming out too far over their shins when they should be trying to sit back.

15. nsb22

nsb22 TEAM OAF

I meant to put the ;) after my half squat comment!

Reyn, I will be looking into finding someone, the only problem is I don't really want to pay for a gym membership and they can't use city equipment due to liability. I'll have to work something out.

Thanks,

16. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

My crew calls them "High School Football Player Squats".

17. DBradD

DBradD

That's a great name. Do you have a name for nonpowerlifter bench presses? You know--the ones with the butt coming off the bench, uneven extension, bouncing the bar off the chest, etc.?

I'm becoming a bigger fan of the deadlift as I get older. There's no arguing with it. The bar comes off the ground and the guy stands up or he doesn't, PERIOD.

DBD

18. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Pretty much the same thing. If the bar never touches the chest, though, then it is the "24 Hour Fitness Personal Trainer Bench Press". What passes as a trainer is another thread, though.:upeyes: