close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

One or two practical guns?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by seamaster, Jan 15, 2010.

1. seamaster

seamaster

Reading about the caos that is happening in Haiti right now has me thinking about the basic items we need to just be OK in case something like that happened in my city. They have no food, water and to make it worse they they bg's with machetes causing trouble.

The food and water is my deal and I know what I need to. We often read these zombie or shtf topics but I' just thinking about what would be practical to have for sd in a situation where the le isn't available.

What do you think is practical?

2. shnev

shnev We The People

A solid plan! You can make lists of things you need to survive and protect your family. Sometimes you will have to weigh the need to protect property. However, life is far more value than property. Have a bug out bag, food, water, flashlight, batteries, frist aid,communications (if those systems are available), transportation, cash for travel in your possession, etc.
    You should also develop a contingency plan, with the idea that you may not be able to get to your emergency kit or vehicle.
    It is a lot to think about. Try googling survivalist skills. Do some research.

3. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

There are really only two needs for most people.

First, a full power handgun that is big enough to shoot well and small enough to conceal at all times. During Katrina, if they saw a gun it was confiscated. A medium or full sized combat handgun with a few spare mags or speed loaders is ideal. I prefer a full sized 1911 in .45 ACP, but any common LE or Military issue handgun would be a good choice.

Second, a rifle small enough to use for cqb but powerful and accurate enough to punch through car doors and soft body armor at ranges that may stretch out to 100 yards or more, and preferably taking high capacity detachable magazines. My preference is for an AK with a 16" barrel and folding stock so I can conceal it in a backpack if need be, but there are a lot of great options out there right now.

4. 20South

20South

What he said. Go to the survivalist forum here and read up. There is a wealth of information there. Also, this link: http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/0006.html has a ton of good information as well. I have been trying to get adequately prepared for a Katrina type of event for about a year now. It's a long and sometimes expensive process. At least for my situation (starting pretty much from scratch).

5. Mikey.Dunn

Mikey.Dunn

Its going to be tough eating lead and drinking gun powder.

6. Quack

Quack Rent this space

:rofl:

7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Yeah, yeah. He said he had food and water covered and was asking specifically about guns.

That was kinda funny though... :supergrin:

8. engineer151515

engineer151515

A Glock 19/17 and a Kel Tec Sub2000 all using common magazines (17/33 rounders) sounds practical.

Lightweight. Small. Common caliber. Low cost. Will put down Mr Machete if necessary.

9. dosei

dosei

Minimum:
    A handgun and a small powerful flashlight

Better:
    A handgun, a small powerful flashlight, & a shotgun.

Fully Loaded:
    Primary handgun, BUG handgun, small powerful flashlight, shotgun, & a MBR.

10. EJP

EJP

Now add ammo, drinking supplies, food, spare clothes, batteries... and try to carry your loadout for a day in rough terrain. No rests, you have to keep moving, get across some distance. Do you have a sleeping bag? Tent? Isolation? If not, its going to be a hard night. Probably cold, probably wet. And you would have needed your rest for the next day.
    Keep this up for 3 days. Feeling fine? Good, because now you are being attacked. Run. Run for cover, 50 yards as fast as you can. Get your gun, steady it, try engaging targets at 5 to 100 yards with your setup.

If your results mirror mine you will lose some weight in guns and concentrate on food, shelter and lighter equipment. The best equipment is useless if fatigue makes you useless.

11. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

I'm thinking about similar stuff those days.
    So far I came up with the essentials like the handgun, bolt rifle in .22lr, pellet gun .177, popular shotgun in 12 gauge and two rifles - semi and bolt in one of the most popular calibers.

12. M1A Shooter

M1A Shooter

i figure if something needs shot, it needs shot well, so my weapons are a pair of 1911s for my wife and i, a shotgun for inside the house type scenarios, and a M1A Scout for everything further than 25 yards.

13. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

Earthquakes are not an issue here in FL (did you all know that FL is the ONLY state NOT prone to earthquakes?) so I don't worry about buildings falling on me. What I do worry about is hurricanes. Wilma was the worst hurricane to hit Broward County in 50 years! What if it had devestated us like Katrina did in N.O. (did you also know that Katrina hit Broward County as a CAT 1 BEFORE destroying N.O.?)?

I would choose THREE practical guns to defend my home and family:

My Norinco AK
    My Remington 870 Marine Magnum
    My Glock 17

Any scumbag that wants to challenge me will be filled with lead! I have more than 10K rounds for these three guns alone!!!

I worry about South FL because we are overrun with indigents much like a third-world country. Like it or not, IT'S TRUE!!!! If you don't live here I don't want to hear your reply because you just don't know!

TGG

14. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Easy for me.

G29
    AK Pistol (common caliber and can be put in a medium sized bag, or in a rolled up sleeping bag)

15. seamaster

seamaster

Thanks for your replies.

I expect that if something happens here I'll have to evacuate as I already had to twice in the last 12 months due to wildfire. The weather forecast for next week is predicting twice our annual rainfall which is my reason for posting...I need to be ready to leave if it gets as bad.

I have ample food and water and I honestly don't expect to ever have to deal with bg's but being the head of the household I'm in charge of family security. Also, as much as I feel it neccessary to bring a firearm or two with me I feel equally concerned about leaving firearms and ammunition in the house while I'm not there for an extended period of time.

Back on topic, I'm thinking a pistol and carbine in matching caliber would be practical. Unfortantely I don't have such a combo anymore unless it's in 22 LR. I could bring more but it's a tough choice because if we ever have to leave the truck behind we can only take what we can carry and what ever get's left in the truck would most likely get stolen.

Maybe I'm having a hard time deciding on what to leave behind!

Seamaster

16. smullen

smullen

Covered on that

+ Plenty of ammo for each weapon owned.
    + Water (Frozen in 2 and 3 Liters) and a few Cammel Backs
    + MREs, Mountain House and some others
    + Cliff Bars and others that we keep onhand
    + Several types and sizes of Flashlights and a crap loada extra batts...
    + Camping stoves and fuel
    + Portable Radio, Portable Sirirs Radio, 2 GPS, several Moto GMRS Radios...
    + Several ATVs...

We also keep a couple of totes that have various clothes, blankets, camping supplies, tools, etc...

I have some things stashed at a few relatives and friends houses for diversity...

Even further we have a cabin and a few acres that is our designated Bug out destination if SHTF and we need to get outta the city.... My mom and Dad, sisters family and a few long time good firnds know the drill too meet here incase SHTF and we all get sepperated for some stupid reason.... I just hope we can all get to it if it ever comes to it...

I'm actually thinking of buying two of those Big Trashcans with wheels like you rent from the Trash company to Fill with stuff for Emergency to keep them in the basement... 2 for the house, Moms house and at the Cabin...

I'm always lookin for ways to be better organized and prepared...

Any time theres a pretty bad good Tornado or EQ, everyone calles each other to verify everyones Okie Dokie...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  17. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Bring your favorite Glock, concealable holster, and spare mags as primary. G17 for me.

Bring your favorite BUG, whether it's a G26 or Pf9 or LCP, it needs to be very concealable as a pocket gun; bonus points if it's the same caliber as your primary gun, and double points if it shares mags.

After the two essential handguns, consider adding a long gun.
    Sub2K is light and concealable, takes G17 & G18 (33rd) mags for triple bonus points.

Or AK 47 with folding stock is relatively concealable and far more powerful than any handgun round. Three to five loaded 30 round mags, maybe some spare ammo too. If I had to get into a CQB gunfight, this would be optimal for me.

Three guns (one rifle and two handguns) is quite a handful for one person to manage, carry, conceal, store, feed, etc. Anything more requires a vehicle or a gun-bearer IMHO.
    {Or a wheelbarrow and a debarked chihuahua___:animlol:}

If I was in Haiti, I'd want a machete too. Just for show as needed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  18. engineer151515

engineer151515

Got your back, Chute.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Steel & Wood

Steel & Wood Build the Wall

I also have three Chinese SKS ammo chest rigs that hold 200 rounds each!

I would wear two and my wife could wear one.

TGG

20. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

these threads always turn into 'too much to carry' threads.

A concealable handgun is first. Shooting it a lot is second and third.

The level of skill you've trained to matters more than caliber. A gun you can conceal is more likely to be reachable when you need it than one you can't.

Only after necessary handgun training is done does a long arm become first priority, and for all the general purpose utility of 12 gauge pumps, they suck for rifle jobs, and they suck to hide, and they suck if you're forced to carry them very long. The pistol caliber carbine that shares mags is *possibly* smarter, given adequate reliability testing, but a rifle has few substitutes.

Do NOT expect to hike around with visible firearms and avoid conflict, as that is called 'optimism'. And be warned, the other guy doesn't fight fair, or give warning shots.