close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

one of your ads is scanning members computers

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by drew-tx, Nov 19, 2004.

1. drew-tx

drew-tx

I get multiple ports getting scanned usually in the 3000 range by something on your site which is more than likey some ad on your site and then my firewall blocks glock talk .

yu need to recheck your sponsers as i know i dont appreciate underhanded corporations trying to access my computer through someone elses website

[​IMG]

2. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

have you ever tried using another browser besides Microcraps IE? Like Opera, or Firefox, or Safari?

3. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

. o O ( That doesn't eliminate the problem, if there is one )

Laura

4. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

There is nothing in the Glock Talk banner ad system that scans or hacks anyone's system in any way, nor do advertisers have any direct access to, or control over the ad system or their ads. What is happening is that you are getting a false-positive alert from your firewall. It is most likely tripping on the cookie that the banner ad system sets and checks when ads are displayed. These cookies are used to keep track of what ads a viewer has seen, to keep from showing duplicate ads (When there are enough ads running in the rotation).

I do not do anything illicit with any system on this site. You have nothing but my word to go on I guess, but I have been running this site for almost 8 years now and I did not make it this long by playing games with my members. Eric

5. drew-tx

drew-tx

cookies do not scan ports eric, especially 4-5 at one time

6. Silver-G27

Silver-G27

funny your the only one i have seen complain of this....

7. Patricia

Patricia Wild at heart CLM Millennium Member

Speaking as Eric's friend and fellow Admin, I can guarantee you that he would never do such a thing. Speaking as a sponsor, I can guarantee you that I would never condone such a thing. Perhaps before you make accusations, you should see if this is a glitch on your end. It seems odd to me that out of thousands of people visiting this site everyday you would be the only one affected by such a thing. There are people here that operate with some very sophisticated hardware and software, and I would think we would have heard from them too.

8. Eric

drew-tx, I didn't spend 8 years building and maintaining this place so I could probe your computer. My system <b><font color="red">DOES NOT</font></b> scan user's computers. It never has, it does not now and it never will. I will say again that you are most likely getting a false-positive alert. Another possibility is that someone on your isp's network is screwing with you. Whatever is happening though, it is not coming from my system. Eric

9. Match10

Match10 NRA Life Member

Well... Count me as another one! You have to be on the ball and curious about something such as this to notice. Since I am essentially my own server administrator, and small business owner, I have to be vigilant to intrusions. I am my own help desk and troubleshooter, and have seen countless attempts to infiltrate my computer for a multitude of reasons. I am firmly behind a firewall.

However, one of the "GIF" files being served from this site has a VB Script as a part of it that is scanning my ports as I read this. It is blocked, but it is trying. It may be nothing more than trying to record who is viewing the advertisement, or it could be something nefarious. I believe it could also be one of the "smiley gifs" as there are several there that are known to be carrying a VB script that are similar to the ones I see displayed. (I cannot determine which one, though.) It is most definitely being served from your server, however. The fact that nobody but us computer geeks realize this is irrelevant.

My suggestion is to download all the gifs served from this site onto a disc and scan them with a program such as "SpySubtract" and "Cool Web Shredder".

It is definitely a problem that originates here. I do not mean that it is intended, that there is anything the Administrators are doing poorly or wrong, that there is anything dangerous, or that there is anything "wrong" with this, it is just a fact of life in this computer age.

10. Eric

OK, I don't it is possible to attach a script to a picture file, but I will download the entire banner image driectory and check them out. Thanks for the input. Eric

11. SlammedDime

SlammedDime G23 Member

erik - I by no means want to tell you how to run your site, however you may want to consider disabling HTML on the forum. It could very well be that someone is running a script via HTML in a sig or in a thread that could cause this problem. this was something that we ran into on a board that I am an admin on, S10Forum.com. It happened about 2 years ago... someone had some malicious javascript in a signature and it was causing havoc for our users, and once we turned off HTML, the problem was aleviated. Just something to consider :)

12. Delta_3_63

Delta_3_63 Another FNG

Hey drew,

I don't get alerts from ZoneAlarm or SPF. What firewall are you using?