One of my Romanian-American friends wrote and posted this on Facebook

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Burebista, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Burebista

Burebista Apex Predator

Just minutes after he posted it, Facebook disabled the "share" link.

example (2).png

A guy who (just like myself) survived is youth in Ceausescu's Romania watching his every word, afraid a simple joke or a remark made to a person waiting behind him in the bread line could be landing him in prison, a guy who spent half of his life watching censored news, censored movies and reading censored newspapers, comes to America (the Land Of The Free) and it is censored again by comrade Zuck's watchful eyes of The Censorship Committee Against Non-PC Speech And Other Thought Crimes.

Move along people, nothing to see here.

2. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Yep. I couldn't imagine that kind of change to life but people do it all the time.

3. wlkjr

wlkjr

Some immigrants are more American than a lot of the people born here.

4. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

If you can't be a victim to their liking then you're of no use to the Liberals.

nraman, unclebob, Dr. Bill and 5 others like this.
  5. davethehiker

davethehiker

I have vacationed in Romania. They are well educated, and most young people speak English very well. We would do well to trade our malcontents for Romanians. I found them to be an attractive healthy people. I still have friends in Campulung Romania that I keep in touch with.

If you want to hike in beautiful rugged mountains, Romania is a great place to do it. They are friendly to Americans and would like to have more of us visit them.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  6. saigonsmuggler

saigonsmuggler

We immigrants view this situation thru a different lens.. To us, anyone born in America is already incredibly BLESSED with freedom and opportunities! And this I still try to ingrain in my kids today and beyond. They have to know how blessed they are and not to squander away their opportunities.

nraman, Out West, Quijibo and 9 others like this.
  7. gunowner1

gunowner1

I have an older frirnd named Simon. He and his wife immigrated here from Russia in the mid 80's. He was a young Russian soldier at the time. His stories of what he did to get here and what Soviet Russia was like are fascinating.

nraman and davethehiker like this.
  8. Taz

Taz

My family left Eastern Europe in 79. Thank God.

People here think I’m full of it when I tell them if disappeared folks, tortured husbands coming home after months of being gone. Raped wives and daughters. Heck my dad ended up at the police station cause as a child I made a joke about idiots not even being able to time traffic lights. Overheard by some asslicking POS that had to report it.

nraman and billy_56081 like this.
  9. gunowner1

gunowner1

Whole villages being bull dozed and families being relocated to collective farms! Ain't communism great? Not!

10. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

@Burebista , @saigonsmuggler , @Taz.

Thank you for posting your comments. We hear so much biased crap on television that it is easy to forget that many people love this country dearly.

@wlkjr - You've got that right!

My family came to the new world almost 400 years ago. One was involved in Bacon's Rebellion (the first fight against the crown). Several fought in the Revolutionary War and in most wars since then. I deeply appreciate the freedoms we have here and the lives that were sacrificed to keep those blessings.

11. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    I looked at his page, can't find the comment there at all. Who removed it?

redrick likes this.
  12. Burebista

Burebista Apex Predator

Thank you!
    Did they stuffed you with sarmale and mici and ciorba and salata de vinete, and did you put a couple of pounds around your waist because every single time they have you as a guest at their dinner table, they really feel offended if you don't try EVERYTING they put in front of you? LOL!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  13. Burebista

Burebista Apex Predator

14. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

I visited Romania mere months after Ceausescu was overthrown. I remember talking to some of the citizens. They were relieved but I sensed still nervous about speaking too much, even though the dictator was gone.
    We are now seeing disturbing signs in this country. For the first time in my memory (and I'm in my late sixties), conservatives are shy about speaking their minds. It's not just social media like Facebook and Twitter either, it's everyday life but unquestionably social media is the bullhorn that cannot be ignored. I have relatives on FB who angrily post that "Silence is Complicity", that "systematic racism" is the biggest problem in the country, etc. The Virtue Bullies are swinging for the fences, shaming anyone and everyone who doesn't tow the line and march in lockstep behind them.
    It's disgusting and disturbing. Conservative voices are being silenced online. Anyone who dares back police is a "racist". Any criticism of Saint George Floyd, merely pointing out his long record of criminal activity, is "racist".
    I will not live in a country like Romania was years ago. I will fight this current madness however I can.

15. Out West

Out West Just lack finishing up

16. davethehiker

davethehiker

They were wonderfully generous and gracious. There was a grown son in collage, who met me on the Internet and invited me and my girl friend to stay with his parents and his grand mother. The Father was a medical doctor (baby doctor) the mother taught English in High School. She spoke much better and more proper English than I do! The Grandmother survived both German and Russian occupations and had strong opinions about the Russians being "Pigs."

I went there to climb the Carpathian Mountains and did so when I was there. I did not put on any weight. I loved the family that hosted me in there modest apartment. There was a bit of a cultural shock for me. The father was a doctor and the mother a teacher, yet their apartment was tiny run down and (to me) depressing. The place was one giant ugly block of poured concrete with holes for the apartments. I learned that this was typical construction during the Russian occupation. The smaller traditional Romanian houses were much more charming.

I forgot the little bit of the language I learned but I remember there was one word that meant "Lets go!" I used it a lot while climbing the mountains, but I forgot it now. Do you know the word?

I also learned that they had negative feelings about Gypsies and Jews. I kept my mouth shut about such things.

The Grandmother did not speak a word of English but we communicated with her sparkling eyes. She was delightful! The young people I met were very friendly. I fell in "Lust" with many of those beautiful Romanian women.

My sample size was small but I did not think they ate a healthy diet. Too many salty cold cuts and cheese. I think I might have somehow offended them when I insisted that they let me take them out to dinner at nice local restaurant. They put on their best cloths and we walked a few blocks to the nice restaurant. I got a feeling that they were somehow embarrassed by me taking them out to dinner. Some cultural differences but not enough to worry about. I loved my Romanian hosts. The husband has passed away. He smoked and had a bad heart. I keep in touch with the beautiful wife and their son.

I would love to have them as my guests in the USA and have invited them many times. The grandmother fell and broke her hip and is now bed bound with her daughter caring for her.

Burebista likes this.