One more time....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gatsby, Feb 23, 2005.

1. gatsby

gatsby

I live in tx and I will be 18 shortly and I really want a G 19. I'm hearing it is legal to purchase a handgun from a private deal, such as a friend on the range and not catch any crap for it. Also, I'm starting to shoot IDPA (the junior stuff)...is it legal to transport it in my trunk?
    thanks,
    dave

2. Ignition

Ignition Insanityville

*not current on TX laws*

i believe that texas doesnt have a law against 18-20 year olds owning handguns. and i dont think there is a law against private sales to that same age group.

now there is a federal law against a straw purchase which means you cant have your 21 year old buddy walk in to "so and so's gun store" buy the gun and come and sell it right back to you(if he had intent to sell it to you in the first place)

now there is nothing defining how long or intent... so that is gray

you can also have one of your parents buy the gun for you and give it to you as a gift

so if im right about tx law, im really going of IN laws, then you could buy from a private FTF deal.

now as far as ammo. you better have someone to buy the ammo for you. or buy the ammo in a ftf, not sure if the straw purcahse extends to the ammo or not... ill have to look that up(fed law)

hope that cleared up some things and not actually confuse you more

3. Ignition

Ignition Insanityville

oh forgot about carrying in your truck. your gonna need someone that is uptodate on TX law to give you the ins and outs. but basically you will want to get a carry permit(im not sure if texas issues to 18+ or 21+, IN gives carry permits to 18+)

4. Eagles1181

Eagles1181 Flying High

Texas the carry permit is 21.

I believe if you keep it in your trunk and go directly to and from the range you are legal. I know under 18 you have to have a signed note from your parents, but I believe at 18 you are fine. Contact the Texas Rifle association and they can help you out.

Eagle

5. ClearDark

ClearDark

Ignition,

It is NOT a straw purchase if he can LEGALLY own the gun. Although its frowned upon, most dealers will knowingly sell a handgun to a blood relative if its a 'gift' or whatnot. A straw purchase is if the person buying is "selling" it to a person who cannot legally own one, ie a felon.

6. Ignition

Ignition Insanityville

well i have to go back and look,(i have a few things i need to look up but im procrastinating). but i thought it was a straw purchase if you could not legally PURCHASE from a dealer.

but as anyone could, i may be wrong

7. ClearDark

ClearDark

As long as you can legally posess a handgun in your state, it is not a straw purchase. A example of a straw purchase would be a convicted felon, asking a good buddy to buy him a handgun at the local shop, then "sell" it to him privately. Obviously Buddy #2 knows Buddy #1 is a convitcted felon, and if he buys it for him hes commited a felon himself.