One Million MORE People Have Conceal Carry Permits, and its Making us SAFER

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by DonGlock26, Oct 17, 2019.

1. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

3. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

My 24 y.o. Granddude just got his permit. When he was last at my house he flipped up his shirt and asked "whatcha think, Pops?" I told him not to make a regular practice of exposing his gun and that he needed a real GUN BELT. I've given him 2 - a Wilderness-type nylon and a leather one. I hope he will find them. Pops ain't springing for a 3rd....

jcm3, Redstate, hogship and 1 other person like this.
  4. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

Keeps 'em guessing!

robhic and Redstate like this.
  5. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

We need to keep harping on this. It goes against all of the left's "conventional wisdom" and shoots a hole in their entire belief system. Statistically, CCW people are VERY SAFE. Shout it from the rooftops!

ExecutiveWill, hogship and reniram like this.
  6. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

And the most law abiding percentage of the entire population. Something like only .002% according to the FBI. Percentage may be off but I do recall a study a couple of years ago which reflected that CCW permit holders were, by far, the most law abiding.

tuica, Lt. Donn, oldmick and 2 others like this.
  7. Redstate

Redstate

Although I have had for years, and continue to have a CCW permit, I am fortunate that my great state is Constitutional Carry. Funny how we don't have mass shootings here ;).

tuica, hogship, jcm3 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Intolerant

Intolerant

But are they trained properly? Most new permit carriers i know, are oblivious, and ignorant.
    So are we really safer? I doubt it. Just means more people carry today, trained or not.

Redstate likes this.
  9. Redstate

Redstate

Although not required by the 2nd (unless "well regulated militia" could be interpreted as such?), I agree that if you are going to own any firearm, you should be trained in its use, and particularly safety.

ExecutiveWill and Intolerant like this.
  10. Intolerant

Intolerant

Absolutely agree! ;)

Redstate likes this.
  11. jcm3

jcm3 G22 4 Me

I work for a big company, and was recently at a training thing and was talking to a guy from Mexico. He lived in Mexico City, and was fortunate that he had parents with money that could send him to private schools, and he said if you were fortunate enough to have that then you were going to be successful in Mexico.

Anyway, we talked about the crime in Mexico City, and he said that everyone carries around an extra wallet with a few bucks in it and an old phone that they no longer need so that if they get car jacked they could just hand them over and reduce the chance of getting hurt. I asked him if they were allowed to carry guns to protect themselves, and he said, "Oh NO, if we did that, everyone would just be shooting each other."

I told him that in the US, the cities that were the most restrictive with gun rights tended to be the least safe cities. I pointed out Los Angles, Chicago, Baltimore, Washington DC, etc. I could see him thinking, the gears turning, and after about five seconds he said something like, "Oh, because someone might not want to rob you if they didn't know if you had a gun or not." Bingo.

We didn't agree on that much politically, but I could tell he got that and it was contrary to his line of thinking on the gun control subject. It was an interesting conversation.

12. jeanderson

jeanderson Making America great again! Platinum Member

A study was done for Texas and Florida in 2016, and the rate was 0.0024% (See: https://www.gunstocarry.com/concealed-carry-statistics/).

In Ohio, no municipality can override CCW holders' right to carry. But Mayor Frank Jackson of Cleveland fought like hell to keep CCW permit holders from carrying in the city. It's ironic, because crime statistics show the rate of violent crime in Cleveland is 15 per 1000 residents, and and non-violent crime is 50 per 1000. That's 1.5% and 5% respectively. Yet, he fought like hell to keep out a group of people that commit crimes at a rate of 0.0024%, saying they make the city unsafe.

Cambo, hogship, R_P_K_ and 2 others like this.
  13. robhic

In my Granddude's case I had worked with him for some time. Every outing I would mention something or point out an issue. Start slowly, gave him Mas' book "In The Gravest Extreme" to read, loaned other videos and books so he will hopefully stay out of trouble. He is a 2nd level Krav Maga (Jewish MMA) and is pretty well-trained. I wrote about him some years ago getting approached by some local Yutes at a skateboard park. One had a 9mm pistol wanting $$$. When he looked to see where his podnuh was, Granddude knocked the gun from his hand on the down-stroke and broke his face on the up-stroke. Two would-be gangbangers (he didn't know that was a bad area) took off, one leaving a blood trail and dropping the $10 my boy had given him.

Got a (probably) stolen gun off the street, Granddude found his $10 bill and completely ruined the street cred of 2 POS. Win-Win. I can hear it now: "You got all that damage AND lost your pistol? To a skatepunk? You're out the gang!" Cops told them it was first time writing a report like that, but the boy(s) did the right thing. They also said coming back to that park was a very, very bad idea! I should probably be training with him!!! :D

14. robhic

If you haven't seen the movie "Man on Fire" with Denzel Washington this is the plot of the movie. Rich Mexican couple hire Denzel to bodyguard their little girl. He's a semi-washed up CIA or some other and he drinks. One of the best movies I've ever seen. He plays one bad MF and wreaks a lot of havoc on the corrupt cops, etc. If you like extremely violent but tastefully done movies this is the best. ;)

15. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

There really doesn't seem to be a problem with accidents from the law abiding carrying a firearm (permit or "constitutional carry").

I'm all for training, just not government mandated training to exercise an enumerated right.

16. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    What % of permit holders actually carry?

17. jcm3

jcm3 G22 4 Me

I agree, great movie! I really liked Deja Vu. Interesting movie for sure.

18. OttoLoader

OttoLoader

Yes they need more training to develop their muscle memory.
    Be sure to get a timer to measure their splits.

Actually by having more ccw out there, that in itself makes society safer in the sense of increased uncertainty as to who is armed and can counter a criminal.

Keep the criminal deterred.

PEC-Memphis and hogship like this.
  19. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

Right......let's let some liberal politicians decide how much training you need to qualify for CCW.......

ExecutiveWill and Out West like this.
  20. Cambo

Cambo

"I wish....you had more time...."