Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
22,650 Posts
The horse in the second video is a brute, but the screw splitter isn't the most efficient by the looks of it. My days of splitting a lot of wood are behind me, I buy it now already split, but the maul still gets some use with the odd ball pieces.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I never had to cut wood till I was in my thirties. My mother got in a fight with the gas company over a bill and told them where they could stick it. They, of course shut her gas off. So, next thing I know a pot belly wood heater was installed in the middle of her living room by one of her friends. I spent a lot of my days off at her house cutting wood for that heater and stacking it on her porch.

Then the neighbors get PO’ed because “some kind person” dumped a dump truck load of wood in her driveway and they complained to the city inspectors. The least they could have done was cut it up before they dumped it. So now, I have to work out an agreement with the city and spend my days off from the FD cutting more wood to keep them from giving her a fine. I know full well that if an inspector starts writing a ticket for that wood I know what she’s going to do.

This goes on till I went through a divorce and lost that house to my ex. My mother told her where to put that too. After that, I moved her in with me and we had a lot less problems with her getting along with the city and I didn’t have to cut wood.

Reactions: nitesit(+ an e)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I never had to cut wood till I was in my thirties. My mother got in a fight with the gas company over a bill and told them where they could stick it. They, of course shut her gas off. So, next thing I know a pot belly wood heater was installed in the middle of her living room by one of her friends. I spent a lot of my days off at her house cutting wood for that heater and stacking it on her porch.

Then the neighbors get PO’ed because “some kind person” dumped a dump truck load of wood in her driveway and they complained to the city inspectors. The least they could have done was cut it up before they dumped it. So now, I have to work out an agreement with the city and spend my days off from the FD cutting more wood to keep them from giving her a fine. I know full well that if an inspector starts writing a ticket for that wood I know what she’s going to do.

This goes on till I went through a divorce and lost that house to my ex. My mother told her where to put that too. After that, I moved her in with me and we had a lot less problems with her getting along with the city and I didn’t have to cut wood.
On the plus side there are now some amazing wood splitting axes on the market. Technology in the axe world is really advanced compared to when I had to cut wood back in the '80s.

View: https://youtu.be/SaEHuDsSVog

·
Rational
14,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
This used to be AMERICA........
1,679 Posts
I went through a "phase" about 5 years ago watching wood splitters on YouTube for hours on end.
Of course, I have built my own hydraulic splitter. Have no use for firewood, though...
Still like the occasional video now and then.

·
Registered
17,388 Posts
If per chance one is a DIY maker of things using home made aluminum castings (see Gingery book on this) powered log splitters can supposedly be used to break up damaged aluminum auto wheels into chunks sized to feed the melting pot.

I have not done this.

Should you decide to attempt, proceed at your own risk.

Would be well to arrange such an activity behind something for protection from flying fragments I suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jade Falcon
1 - 11 of 11 Posts