Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I gotta say tonight is not one of my finest. So far I have managed to break a le wilson case holder, and a dillon die:steamed:
I'll start with the wilson case holder. Just got the wilson case trimmer the other day. Decided I diddnt like the dillon super swage and got the primer pocket tool to go with it. Insert case, tap lightly. Ok I did that. I quickly resized a case just to try the new unit. Used the primer pocket crimp tool and it worked like a dream. Very smooth going. Then it happend. To remove case tap lightly. Did that. Case diddnt come out. Tapped again. No go, tapped again a bit harder. Case neck bends. :steamed: I try to bend it back and screw up the case even more. Then I use pliers to remove the case and that diddnt work. Now the cases life is 100% done and its really really stuck. I start cussin. Then I decide I gotta get this thing out. Grab the drill and a easy out. Start workin on it. Then I break my damn easy out.:steamed: Thats basically the storry of the le ase holder. So I decide just to let it go send a email to sinclair to see about a replacment, or if they can do anything to help. Would have just called but it was past buisness hours. Hopefully they can just send out a new unit and I send this oneback and call it good.
So I decide to finally try my hand at resizing more than 1 peice of brass on the dillon. Was going fairly smooth, wasnt getting the variation I thought I would. At least provided I did my part at propely sorting headstamps. Discovered just about every headstamp I have I will have to slightly adjust the resize die. So I start with lake city brass. Get all the little tweaking down. Bring my rifle down and make sure they insert and extract smooth. They case guage just about perfect. All is going well. Get through about 200 peices. Then I notice dents in the datum (not case the case body and not the case neck and just above the shoulder) I think its called the datum anyways. So I stop, remove the resize die, get a flashlight and look inside. Looks fine at first glance. Thought whatever was stuck in there must have fell out. So I continue and quickly relize, I missed whatever was in there. So I remove the die again take it apart and clean with a qtip. Shined a light in again and see the problem. Probe it with a qtip and a tooth pick. Whatever was stuck in there was brass colored. Maybe a peice of media maybe a brass shaving. When I got it out I lost it. So I double check, now it appears the die has a burr. Just o make sure I check with a toothpick. It is most definatly a burr. So for tonight anyways it appears my brass prep is at a complete halt.
Now I am wondering is sinclair will hook me up and wondering the same with dillon. I have used dilons CS in the past and and thy have always sent me the part I needed but it was always tiny things. Never a entire die body. This is my first time useing sinclair so just have to see how it goes.

·
Conifer Jack
10,016 Posts
Are you related to Little Stevie by chance? :dunno:

Jack

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,186 Posts
You should have no problem with Dillon. I popped out the carbide ring on my 9mm sizer die. Called Dillon. A couple of days latter had a new one in the mail.

·
Registered
35,932 Posts
Yuor sizing die doesn't sound broken. Dents above the datum line on the shoulder are often lube dents caused by too much case lube. You may have found a small piece of brass inside the die from the cases neck, that usually will show a scratch in the case body if it's an issue. Did you clean the dies BEFORE sizing your first case? Always clean them out w/ a degreaser & bore mop or patch. Sometimes machining/polishing crap is left behind, not good for the brass.

·
Malcontent
11,682 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yuor sizing die doesn't sound broken. Dents above the datum line on the shoulder are often lube dents caused by too much case lube. You may have found a small piece of brass inside the die from the cases neck, that usually will show a scratch in the case body if it's an issue. Did you clean the dies BEFORE sizing your first case? Always clean them out w/ a degreaser & bore mop or patch. Sometimes machining/polishing crap is left behind, not good for the brass.
I did not clean them before use. My first little run was fine (no dents). Then, after over a 100 they started getting dents in them. Upon relizing dents were occuring, I cleaned the die. Inside the die was either a litle peice of brass or a peice of media. Lost it before I got a really good ok at it. After it was gone, I looked inside the die again. These dents most defintly are not due to lube. After I removed the foreign debris rom the die I can now see a burr in the die. What I am thinking happened is a peice of media/brass shaving got wedged in the die. Most likely stuck to the brass with the case lube

1 - 11 of 11 Posts