Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In that past I kept a stable of Glocks and I would carry the most firepower I could after I got dressed for the day and considered the places I would be that day. I know a lot of people take this approach to carry and that is a sound practice. However, over the past two years I have veered from this philosophy. Let me take a few moments to explain.

I don`t know where the quote ,"beware of the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it" came from but that is the camp I am in now. I`m a regular guy with a 6-4pm, 4 days a week office job. I don`t make an incredible amount of money and priorities in life have changed over the years. I settled on the Glock 42 and bought two more. The rest of my glocks, a Spanish ruby, and a smith model 15-3 were liquidated into other priorities.

If I am wearing underwear, I have a Smart Carry on. That is the base line of my carry system. It allows me to get away with carrying at work, or at home in my pajama pants and any time in between. It works with anything I would be wearing or any where I would be going. The only time I do not carry is when there is a chance of being waved by a wand, or patted down. I do not consent to go unarmed unless I'm in an environment that has physically ensured that other citizens around me are also disarmed. If I`m ever discovered to be carrying at work they can do what they want to my employment, but I do not consent to go unarmed when others around me COULD be. That`s just the bottom line. I stand on principle.

If I`m in a gun friendly place, I move my 42 to the appendix, or 3:30 position for the ability to access it more quickly than can be done with the smart carry. I train drawing and firing with each carry method. I have the ability to go from on the belt to deep concealed easily, because the smart carry is always on. If I moved to the belt, I throw another magazine into the pistol pocket of the smart carry.

The smart carry has it`s limitations for sure, but it allows me to always be armed. This is a really important issue for me. With 100% seriousness, if I have on underwear I have my 42. I find it to be extremely comfortable with the small size and light weight of the 42. I always make the 42 more accessible whenever the environment permits it, because I understand that the smart carry is not the quickest draw when time is of the essence. But the smart carry is a much faster draw than a sprint to my vehicle. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the part about your skivvies was TMI...everything else makes sense
I would venture to guess that the smart carry without underwear on would be uncomfortable to say the least. But it is a great way to always be armed in non permissive environments, or when lounging around the house without a belt on. It is a solid choice for a small, light firearm.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Bobcatbaseball35, I like your post and can see what you are getting at. For me, I've always felt that I could live with just three guns - my EDC gun which is currently my MR918, an second exact duplicate of the same, and a small deep concealment or "I'm not carrying a gun" gun; currently its a S&W Model 38 Bodyguard (original hump back snubby). I checked out the 42 for that role (have owned 4 of them) but I feel that the snubby gives me more versatility for the role that I want to use it for.

If I was in a situation such as you described - where my EDC had to be a small almost undetectable gun, then my choice of carry would change. I would look at having a small undetectable EDC gun, a second exact copy of that and third larger full size or duty size gun. This gun could serve as a home defense gun, match gun, carry gun when clothing/weather options permitted, etc...

Luckily for me, since I started carrying 35 years ago - this was only the case during the first three years of my firearms carrying journey.

I honestly feel that its all about deciding what is best for each of us based on our needs, wants, experiences, and training.

Again, good post!

P.S. My wife, who has been carrying daily since the mid 80s, switched to the Glock 26 in 2005. She has been able to carry the same gun since then. She uses a FIST IWB holster 99% of the time and has a belly band and fanny pack for when she needs to go that route. There have been times when I switched from my 19 to my snubby or small semi and she has still carried her 26 - during those occasions she will often smile and say to me "don't worry honey; I've got you covered, if things go bad"

·
Registered
30,055 Posts
I think the "Beware the man with one gun, because he can probably use it" saying can easily cut both ways.

I've seen (as an instructor) more than ample instances where a man (or woman) who chose to own only one gun turned out to serve as an example meaning they only owned one gun because they didn't have enough interest to own more guns or develop their shooting skills.

If we apply this thinking to other things we own and use in life, would that mean someone ought to only own one motor vehicle, or one type of motor vehicle ... because trying to remember how to drive a car, truck, motorcycle - or even different veh's with auto or manual transmissions - was too complicated for them?

How about only one type of foot wear and clothing apparel?

If you want to own it, and it's lawful to own, it's your prerogative to spend your money how you wish.

Now, whether or not you can properly, safely and effectively use it, in both ordinary and exigent circumstances? Well, that's on you. Know yourself and your desires as measured against your limitations. Falling back on old sayings might salve the mind, but might not be optimal if the rubber ever has to meet the road.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bobcatbaseball35, I like your post and can see what you are getting at. For me, I've always felt that I could live with just three guns - my EDC gun which is currently my MR918, an second exact duplicate of the same, and a small deep concealment or "I'm not carrying a gun" gun; currently its a S&W Model 38 Bodyguard (original hump back snubby). I checked out the 42 for that role (have owned 4 of them) but I feel that the snubby gives me more versatility for the role that I want to use it for.

If I was in a situation such as you described - where my EDC had to be a small almost undetectable gun, then my choice of carry would change. I would look at having a small undetectable EDC gun, a second exact copy of that and third larger full size or duty size gun. This gun could serve as a home defense gun, match gun, carry gun when clothing/weather options permitted, etc...

Luckily for me, since I started carrying 35 years ago - this was only the case during the first three years of my firearms carrying journey.

I honestly feel that its all about deciding what is best for each of us based on our needs, wants, experiences, and training.

Again, good post!

P.S. My wife, who has been carrying daily since the mid 80s, switched to the Glock 26 in 2005. She has been able to carry the same gun since then. She uses a FIST IWB holster 99% of the time and has a belly band and fanny pack for when she needs to go that route. There have been times when I switched from my 19 to my snubby or small semi and she has still carried her 26 - during those occasions she will often smile and say to me "don't worry honey; I've got you covered, if things go bad"
thank you for the kind words. I do believe I could get away with a subcompact glock in the smart carry, in terms of concealment, but I believe the weight would be off putting for 24/7 carry.

·
Registered
36,206 Posts
I think a Smart carry or belly band makes sense, I am just not a fan of moving my carry position around daily or weekly, or this gun or that gun.
Btw, the beware the one gun statement has always been cute but means nothing really. I know a lot of people with only one handgun & they cant shoot worth poop; ccw or leo. The flip side maybe, reach a high enough skill level & it doesnt matter what you shoot, you'll be better than 90% of the rest.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s not just the consistency of one pistol that I find beneficial. It is always using flush magazines, albeit with a magguts +1. The only variable is carry position based on my location. I would rather carry appendix all the time, but because of my job I can’t risk that approach. The smart carry allows me that freedom. I don’t need a belt that way so it allows me to run and lets me lounge around in sweat pants armed. As a matter of fact if I had to run out of my house in the middle of the night because of a fire I would leave with a Glock 42 and a spare magazine for a total of 20 rounds without having to think about it or pick up a thing. The smart carry is absolutely comfortable with the weight of a Glock 42 and spare mag. Over the past two years I’ve carried this way so consistently that if I was to go without it I would feel that same void if I didn’t have my cell phone in my left front pocket or my wallet in my back pocket. It may be TMI, but if I’m not naked, I’m armed. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

·
Registered
64 Posts
Great post, it’s nice to read others with similar thoughts to my own. I say to each their own but for me I like the idea of one CCW weapon for myself. I like the ideas of an always carry, mine after many trials and purchases is a G42. I believe it to have the right balance of size and weight to apply to this philosophy. Yes it’s a 380 but I don’t subscribe to the popular narrative. I can use this weapon well, train with it and know it like the back of my hand, it is a wonderful gun to shoot.

·
Registered
36,206 Posts
Great post, it’s nice to read others with similar thoughts to my own. I say to each their own but for me I like the idea of one CCW weapon for myself. I like the ideas of an always carry, mine after many trials and purchases is a G42. I believe it to have the right balance of size and weight to apply to this philosophy. Yes it’s a 380 but I don’t subscribe to the popular narrative. I can use this weapon well, train with it and know it like the back of my hand, it is a wonderful gun to shoot.
Which btw would apply to any of the Glock pistols. So again, the one gun thing isn't really definitive.

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
From stories from my dad who was a city cop and my mom who worked in the city emergency room and how they were both amazed with the incredible strength and determination the evil people they had to deal with, I could never feel comfortable with a 380 for my everyday carry.
Experts agree 9mm and and above are not reliable stoppers, with that said a 380 makes little sense to me if I need to defend against a armed attack. I think a 380 has its place but for me it’s not and everyday carry.
Just because someone “feels” comfortable with a 380 means little when the bullets start flying.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
It’s not just the consistency of one pistol that I find beneficial. It is always using flush magazines, albeit with a magguts +1. The only variable is carry position based on my location. I would rather carry appendix all the time, but because of my job I can’t risk that approach. The smart carry allows me that freedom. I don’t need a belt that way so it allows me to run and lets me lounge around in sweat pants armed. As a matter of fact if I had to run out of my house in the middle of the night because of a fire I would leave with a Glock 42 and a spare magazine for a total of 20 rounds without having to think about it or pick up a thing. The smart carry is absolutely comfortable with the weight of a Glock 42 and spare mag. Over the past two years I’ve carried this way so consistently that if I was to go without it I would feel that same void if I didn’t have my cell phone in my left front pocket or my wallet in my back pocket. It may be TMI, but if I’m not naked, I’m armed. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app
I often see people tout the "one gun" thing, but I almost NEVER see anyone who tries to justify it post video or timed runs of their actual shooting to support that they have skills to support that adage.

Just like when I hear people say "I shoot xyz very well...." I almost never see them post their targets or video on challenges to back up that opinion.

It's like when everyone thinks they're funny or good looking...

They may or may not be.

I'm in the camp with @fredj338 that says it's just a saying. If someone wants to argue competence or incompetence, I'd rather them just post video or targets.

I don't carry Glocks, I carry a P365. But I can still do sub-1 second concealed draws to a sheet of paper target with Glocks anytime on demand.

I dusted off a G26 that I hadn't shot in 4 years to do my CCW requalification and put 10 shots in a fist sized group on a plate at 17 yards in under 5 seconds.

I have a lot of guns, but I shot over 40,000 rounds last year and it really doesn't matter much which gun I shoot.

I do know guys with one Glock due to finances that are excellent shooters and I know guys with many guns that really stink at shooting.

The number of guns have very little to do with gun skill in either direction.

If you want one gun, great. If you want many guns, great.

But if you want proficiency... PRACTICE. The number of guns is just a loose correlation.

Do a FAST drill or Gabe White standards if you're not into organized competition. Or do the FAM or FBI handgun qualification to test yourself.

·
Registered
36,206 Posts
If you want one gun, great. If you want many guns, great.

But if you want proficiency... PRACTICE. The number of guns is just a loose correlation.

Do a FAST drill or Gabe White standards if you're not into organized competition. Or do the FAM or FBI handgun qualification to test yourself.
THis is very true. I know a guy, we used to be friends, he owns far more guns than I do but would NEVER compete, ever. Why, because the wasn't very good shooter & hated to be shown that. So he is a collector that shoots, not a shooter that collects. Though I know far more people that own one gun & also cant shoot because they never shoot. The gun is like a fire extinguisher to them, just in case, but they never plan on having to use it.:eek:kie:

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
36,206 Posts
If I were to one gun it I would carry a 43X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I couldn't imagine owning only one handgun. If I did, it would be my 4" N-frame 44mag. Why, because I can do anything with it from target, CCW, HD, or hunting moose. Yes it is diff to conceal but not impossible.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts