One good new thing we are going.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by CAcop, Feb 21, 2017.

1. igor455

igor455

2. cherokeewarrior

cherokeewarrior NRA Life Member

3. bfg1971

bfg1971

Speaking as active duty Military... Thank you to the Santa Cruz Police Dept. for assisting our veterans.

Yucca-Man, Paul53 and First shot like this.
  4. First shot

First shot

Good start to helping with a big problem.

Paul53 likes this.
  5. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I got very frustrated a few times with a couple veterans. Made them a standing offer to drive them to the nearest VA hospital and help them get into a program. They outright refused and said they preferred living on the streets with no rules.

There was a Vietnam vet I once met. We went to his house for yet another domestic. He was drunk and having a breakdown on the date that his squad was attacked and he was the only survivor. He was overwhelmed with survivor's guilt.

He declined a ride to the VA - 50 miles away - but agreed to go to mental health. Mental health basically declined to help because he didn't meet the criteria for an involuntary hold, he didn't have health insurance and it was a weekend.

Only time in 28 years that I cried on duty. Just not f-ing right.

CACop's department is doing a good thing.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  6. igor455

igor455

I was a detective St in our eastern dust detectives we had a green beret captain had been arrested for sleeping on a boat not his . I took him to the bail hearing and got the judge to commit. Him to the via for evaluation and treatment va. I and another vet drove him the 60 some miles to the facility 3 Vietnam vets we laughed cried swore and had a hoot. Last I heard he is dying well
    The judge asked why I did it. Told hike there but for the grace of god go i.
    His honor just nodded
    Heyvi was able to help and we did it. That's what police and vets do. I enjoyed the job that day

7. igor455

igor455

Detective sergeant,damn machine

Cochese likes this.
  8. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

When I get settled in with where I retireI want to do volunteer work with the Vets. My kid is active now and just caught orders to the sand, same place I was sent 40 years ago. This is a class move by SCPD.

Cochese, First shot and Ohio Cop like this.
  9. First shot

First shot

I've found differences between Vietnam Vets and The Sand war vets besides just age. The Vietnam vets wounds seem to be deeper, and the booze and drugs more prevalent. Maybe they've just had longer to fester. The sand war vets seem more instantly traumatic, like they could see what happened to their buds humvee. Either way, hurt is hurt, and I upon retirement, like Real Police, want to do some volunteer work for Vets. We owe them everything we have.

10. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

We have a VA jail diversion program. We have a guy that is a vet and meets with every inmate that is a vet and wanting to get help. Great program.

Deltic likes this.
  11. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin

This sounds like a good program! I am the guy that often goes in when any of my local vets are having issues because I have a pretty good rapport with them. I can relate a bit, like them part of me never made it home after my deployment either.

12. 11B101ABN

11B101ABN

An Uber style system exclusively for vets, by vets, pehaps funded by sponsorships, would be a great thing. Especially one that worked in conjunction with LE.

seagravedriver likes this.
  13. fuzzyduck

fuzzyduck

How does this work? Who's bought off in it? It sounds intriguing and like it has a lot of potential. What are the effects on the jail populations and what is the recidivism rate??

14. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

To early to tell yet. So far the guy with the VA comes into the jail and IDs the vets and trys to get them into programs, like job training or mental health programs than can assist them in the free world.