Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
On the day of your birth death began stalking you
9,825 Posts
Honestly, I think the best thing out there for cleaning a pistol is a ultrasonic cleaner. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for like $30 and it works great. It takes longer to blow the pistol out with a air compressor than it does to clean it now LOL.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Fedleo, What solution do you use in the ultra sonic and I assume that you rinse with water and then air blow. I'm a jeweler and have an extra ultra sonic and have been kicking it around on using it to clean my glock so. Any info you add is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I use an ultrasonic on mine. I use a 50/50 mix of water and simple green. Once done I rinse with hot water, dry it out and re-lube. At the most I have to run a brush through the barrel to get some stubborn left overs out.

Reactions: Quade and G19 fan

·
Registered
357 Posts
Ultrasonic is the way to go. Family friend, former police chief’s duty pistol was so nasty it had to through three times. Turned the water pitch black the first two, grey the third. Zero damage to the finish of the pistol.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
how do these things work ? We were using them at work then all of a sudden we stopped using it and went back to hand cleaning our guns . Makes me wonder why.

Reactions: Glock Commander

·
I'm your huckleberry....
18,108 Posts
Honestly, I think the best thing out there for cleaning a pistol is a ultrasonic cleaner. I bought mine at Harbor Freight for like $30 and it works great. It takes longer to blow the pistol out with a air compressor than it does to clean it now LOL.
What kinda results do you get? Is a "bargain basement" level unit seem durable and/or as good (within reason) of the higher-priced models? I have a HF about 10 miles from me. I might go look at one...

Reactions: Quade

·
9,825 Posts
What kinda results do you get? Is a "bargain basement" level unit seem durable and/or as good (within reason) of the higher-priced models? I have a HF about 10 miles from me. I might go look at one...
My pistols always come out looking as clean as when I bought them new. They have a powder for them that you add to water that I use in mine. I cannot remember the name of it right now and I am not home to go look either. Anyway, makes cleaning quick, easy, and leaves the pistol spotless. The only downside it you want to call it that is you have to relube the pistol.

Reactions: Quade and robhic

·
9,825 Posts
Forgot to add it is a cheaper one that I have. It was around $30 but big enough to put a disassembled pistol in. It also has a heater in it to warm the water. I like to think that helps get the gun cleaner too.

Reactions: robhic and Quade

·
Registered
750 Posts
How long do you let it "cook"? Do you remove any components or just field strip it or what? Thank you.

·
9,825 Posts
Most of the time I just field strip them. Every once in a while I will detail strip them and throw them in. I let the water heat up before I put the gun in. I leave them in there with it on about 2-3 minutes. Pull it out and blow it off with the compressor.

·
I'm your huckleberry....
18,108 Posts
Ultrasonic is over kill. While I tend to clean sooner than 1k ( usually in the 3-500 mark) getting the pistol clean enough for range or defense ready takes all of five minutes.
I've never used an ultrasonic cleaner, and I'm like you. I clean EVERY time I come home from the range. Twenty rounds or 200 rounds I do a field strip. Like you say, takes 5 minutes. I'm just thinking about a quick ultrasonic cleaning once a year maybe? Still just thinking....

Reactions: Boogieman

·
9,825 Posts
Reactions: valk93

·
Southern Backwater Mafia & President-Elect
6,957 Posts
1,000 rounds is nothing. This one is over 15,000 and still not ready for cleaning. As long as the bore and chamber are clean, and the thing is lubed, the dirt just goes along for the ride.
If I had a pistol in my safe that dirty, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.