GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
BA0ED01C-FEDA-44E0-8689-27C5FB3B7E08.jpeg
Another one that was the only one professional enough to handle a “Glock .40”?

“The father said the teacher told the class before pointing the gun at the ceiling that he was doing so to make sure his gun wasn’t loaded.”

Seriously though. The trigger is for firing, not to see if it’s loaded. WTF?

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
How well trained could he be,if he pulled the trigger to see if the gun was loaded..........

·
Banned
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dry firing is part of clearing in more than one league I've shot in.

None of them involved the ceiling, though...

·
Liberal Bane
20,358 Posts
Leftist jihadists should never be allowed to touch guns.

·
MAJ (USA Ret.)
20,472 Posts

Is it the first step?

Negligent Discharge.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
The concept is good....but as President Trump stated, "it would require teachers that are highly trained with firearms".... The bozo that shot the ceiling is either not trained or a "ringer" as the Teachers Union is dead set against arming teachers period.

·
Registered
12,734 Posts
^:animlol:

·
MAJ (USA Ret.)
20,472 Posts
The concept is good....but as President Trump stated, "it would require teachers that are highly trained with firearms".... The bozo that shot the ceiling is either not trained or a "ringer" as the Teachers Union is dead set against arming teachers period.
In Texas they have to have psych testing first (similar to LEO), firearms and law enforcement training before they can be a School Marshal.

Anyone that thinks we just tell them they can bring their gun in, and good luck is woefully misinformed.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Exactly. Commonly done with the weapon pointed at the berm on a range. Ceiling in a classroom? Bad idea.

In IDPA at least, I'm pretty sure if it fires when you're proving it's clear, you're DQ'd on the spot.

Reactions: janice6

·
Banned
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are better, cheaper, far more effective solutions.

The goal is not armed teachers, the goal is stopping active shooters. There are better ways to do that, and one of the big reasons to use another method is the simple reality that there is enormous political fallout and resistance to arming teachers.

And that doesn't even take into account idiots like the example in this article.

·
Banned
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
View attachment 394460 Another one that was the only one professional enough to handle a “Glock .40”?
I love that clip. I show it in my intro classes to make the point that no one is above the rules. No one. Including me.

Another rather appalling point is how the school handled a negligent discharge. Or rather, how they completely failed to handle it.

There would have to be an entire mechanism designed and put in place that would have to go through the teacher's union for handling NDs and other mistakes teachers make with weapons, just like there are mechanisms for cops. You ask someone to carry a weapon professionally, there would have to be everything from liability insurance to union working rules about what happens when one of them makes a mistake with that weapon. Because humans make mistakes.

Can you imagine what's going to happen the first time an armed teacher shoots and kills a student by mistake?

Can you imagine what's going to happen if a white teacher thinks a black student is an active shooter because he pulls out a cellphone?

·
woo woo
30,329 Posts
Anytime there's guns present anywhere, the possibility of an AD/ND exist.
So far, the gun free zone/zero tolerance policy hasn't worked out either. So 'another method' means somewhere between these two ideas a compromise needs to be reached...highlighting every single ND doesn't make the case that we shouldn't protect children with guns if necessary. If anything, it demonstrates a need for gun education.

·
Banned
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does mean schools would need a method to deal with them, though.

·
MAJ (USA Ret.)
20,472 Posts
There are better, cheaper, far more effective solutions.

The goal is not armed teachers, the goal is stopping active shooters. There are better ways to do that, and one of the big reasons to use another method is the simple reality that there is enormous political fallout and resistance to arming teachers.

And that doesn't even take into account idiots like the example in this article.
Your state can enact whatever it wants, my state has a robust school marshal program, and it’s expanding quickly.

·
Mentally Frozen
24,789 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts