Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
15,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Certainly nothing new to the literary world, published in 1968, I just discovered this wonderful, horrible novel of war, loss, addiction, and a sense of duty intermingled with destiny.

As much as we all like to think that we are wrapped in our own worlds, experiencing everything for the first time, there's always some old timer to put us in our place I suppose...I'm not much more than a quarter way through the book, just up to the Armistice, but already, there is so much that I can relate to, I just wanted to throw this title out there for any of my brothers and sisters that may need something to read...While the book is not exactly comforting, it surely implants in ones mind the fact that nothing is permanent, and that war, no matter how horrid, has always occured, will continue to occur, but does end for brief periods of rest in between campaigns..A decade or three for the new generations to grow into the old hatereds and petty prejudices...

One line I read really got to me...I sat and cried for about 30 minutes in my hospital bed when I read it...Another soldier in the company had just died:
"No- not Bill.." Over the past month he and Clay had drawn together, the brash cockiness of the Ohioan forming a strange complement to Brewster's shy diffidence. It was hard to believe they could be friends; but after Krazewski's and Ferguson's deaths, Raebyrne and Tsonka had teame up, and Brewster had turned to Clay. It was was part of the ceaseless, pathetic reshuffling of friendships among the old men after battle, when the replacements came in.....

Shufflng of friendships...I guess that pretty thoroughly describes it....I can only imagine warfare in which men were lost on that scale...I just can't fathom that kind of loss...We lose a handful of men at a time, and they lost 100s, 1000s....

Anywho...Check the book out if you are interested...

drew

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks... :patriot:

·
Banned
15,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spent the last 3 days in the hospital reading more of it...I am nearing the halfway point and the book still has my complete attention. The minute details of Army life described by Myrer are so close to the truth it is scary, really hammers home the idea that nothing in the Army ever changes...

When describing the warfare that took place in WWI France, I was frustrated to tears, just by reading it. I have studied all of our military actions in detail, but none of them put forth the action with such a human viewpoint...

Anyways, great stuff here, possibly the best war book I have read, and it is fiction. I think it definately tops This Kind of War, which was my previous favorite..

drew

·
Registered
635 Posts
Excellent book. First read it when the TV mini series based upon it was running, read it several more times over the years untill the book fell apart. It's a book that never get sold because it is such a great story.

·
Banned
15,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This book is almost scarey in it's realism...From overcoming the addiction after injury, to dealing with Army politics...Pig-headed commanders without a clue...

drew

·
Banned
15,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I finish, I'd gladly send my copy on to anyone out there if you are having trouble locating it..

drew

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I also became aware of the book when the TV series ran. Got the book and ended up buying it four times due to thieving friends. That book still is riveting to read. Highly recommended.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts