close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

On the subject of getting old.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Foxtrotx1, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Foxtrotx1

Foxtrotx1

Im 20. College is half over. I look into the future and think: It might not be so bad if a truck hits me at 70...

almost Every add i see tells me blatently or subtly that life ends when i stop looking young!

In this country we devalue our elderly so much! In countries like Mexico the old live with the young, passing on wisdom and knowledge that are invaluable. They keep the young mature and the young keep them spry.

Here it seems we distance ourselves from our elders.
    Around here in Flag, the Navajo have the utmost respect for the old. You never look them in the eyes but always address them first.

It seems our respect for seniors here goes as far as buisness can work money from them. Of course there are exceptions. The driving thread proves that. Props for taking your parents to lunch and the store.

The film Gran Turino show our attitude (for the most part) all too well.

I have heard stories of autoshops and car dealers swindeling money from old ladies who know no better!

Seems like all we do in this country is try to look younger. How about we find the beauties of everystage of life rather than trying to stay young. I know this dosn't apply to all! But look at plastic surgery, vanity fair, TV and advertising. Its like getting old is a sin. our mentality with technology seems to paralell our attitude towards age. In with the new, out with the old.

Seems to me that old age is a privelage earned to the Navajo...so why not us?

Food for thought

2. CBDAVIS

CBDAVIS

When I was 15, 30 looked old. When I was 30, I thought 50 was a good, long life. Now that I'm 78, 80 is too close.

3. timbob

timbob

Plastic surgery is disgusting-- you do end up looking like a plastic caricature of your former self.

The natural, inherent beauty of a mature woman is rather appealing. I regularly get pegged for being 10 years younger than I am.

4. RichardB

RichardB Silver Member

You can't cure the world, but if you do a halfway decent job of raising your own kids you won't be ignored as you grow old.

If you personally have something to contribute to society as an old fart you will be recognized.

Remember if when you get older you constantly complain about the behavior of the children you raised (or their generation) you have made yourself a complainer, not a contributor, and you will be justly ignored.

5. DoubleDog

DoubleDog Grrrrr.....

They say I'm 50...But I' don't feel mature enough to be 50...

DD~

6. WmHBonney

WmHBonney

Man, I wish I was 20 again and knew what I know now.....:whistling::whistling:

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

:rofl:Life stays the same regardless of age. You just hurt a little more when waking up. If you are young enjoy it each and every day. Time will fly by so fast and you will wonder where it went. :crying: Make tone of money and remember the crap about having your health...is wrong..money will buy health insurance under the new regime. :supergrin: I used to see girls at the beach that were 15 and looked 25 and the ones that were 25 looked 15. Now all I want is money...kind of funny how priorities change. This video tells a lot about life in a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2kM0TsubU&feature=channel

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  8. GlockerMike

GlockerMike God Help Us

I've got the wisdom at 54 to know that 64 isn't old.

9. LoadToadBoss

LoadToadBoss IYAAYWOT

Roger that. I turned 51 on Good Friday. What I've noticed recently is that the Cougars that hit on me are over 65.:wow:

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Think about all this again after that soft spot in the skull hardens over :animlol:

I'm 43 and I have yet to have anyone be able to guess that looking at me :supergrin:

11. Skyhook

Skyhook

The old are, to some, easily disliked.

* They brook no nonsense.
    * They have stuff (stuff only the young "deserve" and can really "enjoy")
    * They get in the way in traffic and seem to not like Boom-BOOM Cars and screeching tires).
    * And worse sin of all, they serve as constant reminders time is passing and those who survive will someday be old, look like that, move like that.

Compounding the issue in this excellent thread, is the fact that for almost sixty years, now, western cultures have evolved into a cult which worships youth-- youth only. Try to calculate the enormous funds spent on pushing the skinny twelve y/o look. Mind boggling.

(Heck, the scoot-arounds do not even dent the surface. :supergrin: )

12. quake

quake Millennium Member

When I was crowding 20, I hated the idea of getting old. Now that I'm crowding 50, I hate the idea of not getting old. :cool:

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

So yer saying you look sixty, right? :tongueout:

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

70. :cool:

15. johnd

johnd

Im old by your standards but I wouldnt change a single thing about that.
    When I was young I was as stupid as any young man still is at that age.
    Today Im older yes but wiser by far, Ive been around the world at least 10 times, been in combat , raised a family and done everything I ever wanted to do with boats, cars, motorcycles and private planes.

I have more wealth than I can use as I dont want anything anymore...

I retired and got bored and became a cop...life is just beginning for me in that respect and I have never ever had so much fun. This is a whole lot more satisfying to me than starting a new business, selling a business or moving to a new continent.
    Life has its won way of searching you out to see what you are going to do with it.

I talk to young men today who call me an old man and realise that I had done far more with my life by their age than they probably will do by the time they get to my age...pity them.

16. Skyhook

Skyhook

Private planes?!? We have to talk!:supergrin::wavey:

17. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I agree with your thought in principle but, I want to point out that plastic surgery, done incorrectly, is disgusting. Most competent plastic surgeons (the overwhelming majority of them) won't allow their patients to leave an office looking like a caricature, it's bad for business.

The reason people notice so much bad plastic surgery is because it's uncommon and it LOOKS bad. Good plastic surgery (again, the majority) doesn't LOOK like anything except tighter, smaller, bigger, different than before.

That said, I have always been partial to mature women and agree with your premise, just not your prejudice.

18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

You will probably feel a little different if you reach 70.

One thing about being older is shallow things like looks aren't as important as when you are younger. Not that you still don't appreciate looking at a pretty girl.:)

Even at 72 I can still do what I did when I was younger. I'm just not in as big a hurry.

I'm the one on the right.:supergrin:
    [​IMG]

19. JGguns

JGguns

Lol I should let my gf read this post. I am 22, she thinks its hilarious cause I get along with old people better than people my age. If we go to the mall, its a sure thing that while she is in victorias secret I will most likely be seen talking with some old folk. My grandpa was my best friend till the day he died. I have alot of respect for older people. And every chance I get will sit down and talk to em cause most have alot of great storys and life lessons to tell. She always says I am a old man in a kids body lol...

20. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

This is one thing that saddens me and makes no sense in how life is.

I have done many things. I have been in two military services, been a Policeman, been a pilot, had a wonderful Wife, hunted a man with the intent to kill him, had many near death experiences, have a few very close friends, loved animals more than people, and many more things. Because of this I have accumulated a lot experience and knowledge that will shortly die with me.

So, all these life experiences will be gone when I'm gone and there's young people starting out that believe they are something special and new, when in fact, what they think, feel and do, has all been done millions of times before.

It's a shame that each new generation can't build and learn from the past generations mistakes and failures and experiences but it seems like each new generation just does the same stupid things the past generations did.:upeyes: