Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m on the fence about getting the vaccine. I’m 26, reasonably healthy, workout regularly, eat a balanced and healthy diet. I had high blood pressure but made some lifestyle changes and seem to have got that back to normal. I also have acid reflux that comes and goes as it pleases with no treatment working at this point. I’m very anxious when it comes to health related issues. Covid concerns me, but so does the vaccine with its unknowns. I’m worried about long term side effects of both as well as the immediate effects of both especially the vaccine that seems it can last hours, to days, to weeks/months for some people. I’m looking to see what your experiences were with getting vaccinated. What shot did you get, what’s your age, what was your reaction to it etc...

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I believe that the chance of permanent damage from catching the virus is much higher than the probability of damage from the vaccine(s). You may want to read this thread.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nothing is without risk but the risk of Covid (getting it yourself or transmitting to others who get it) is much much greater than taking the vaccine.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Me too. On the fence.

On one hand, have made it 15 months without catching it. As vaccinations go up, chances of catching should go down.

On the other hand, I am prone to respiratory illnesses, pneumonia, etc. and it would be a shame to get sick and die.

I'm considering the J&J vaccine. It's a traditional vaccine. Reported to be only 66-72% effective, which is actually pretty good. Most flu shots are only 50-60% effective. And even if you do get sick, it should prevent it from being life threatening.

We'll see.

EDIT: On second thought,

Reactions: fjrdc

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
My wife and I are in our late 60s and we both received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine. The only after effect I noted was a fairly mild soreness at the injection site that started around 6 hours after injection and was gone within 36 hrs. I had less soreness with the second injection than the first.

My wife has some injection site soreness and felt tired for a day after the first injection. She had no after effects with the second injection, not even injection site soreness.

I have spoken to a number of people who had the Pfizer vaccine and they all pretty much describe a similar experience. Some injection site soreness and not much else. I know a few people who got the Moderna vaccine and some had more significant after effects, usually after the second injection, although others had nothing significant. I was speaking with one man much younger than me who received the Moderna vaccine and the next day had to miss work with fever, muscle aches, and fatigue. But by the next day he was fine.

I have not yet heard of anyone who had any of the vaccines who experienced any significant after effects that lasted more than a couple or three days at most, let alone weeks or months.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I’ve been on the fence as well. I’m in my mid 50’s and had Covid (bad) this winter. I don’t want to go through again so, I decided to get the vaccine. First dose scheduled for Saturday.🤞

·
Novice
1,512 Posts
I am on the fence also OP. This vaccine is not a traditional vaccine this is an mRNA vaccine. This is new technology that has not been proven and has only been permitted in the USA for the Covid vaccine.

There are large numbers of deaths associated with these covid vaccines compared to all other traditional vaccines. Check out the CDC report on vaccine related deaths. Since this is so new the effectiveness of these vaccines really isn't fully understood either.

We really should read, research, learn then make educated decisions on whether or not we want these vaccines in our body. It's my body, my choice!

·
Oh, for a muse of fire
8,864 Posts
My father got both shots, no issue other than a sore shoulder. My step mother got both shots and was sick for about a week with severe flu symptoms. Quite a few friends of mine have gotten both shots, one got really sick, 2 felt crappy for a day or 2, the rest had no or little issue. The nursing home where my wife works stopped giving the staff shots when 3 of the first 5 who got the vaccinations became seriously ill and one was put in the hospital. It was best described as the worst case of flu imaginable, times 10. Whether it was the Pfizer or the Modena vaccine, I do not know.

My wife and I are in no rush to get the vaccine.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I am on the fence also OP. This vaccine is not a traditional vaccine this is an mRNA vaccine. This is new technology that has not been proven and has only been permitted in the USA for the Covid vaccine.

There are large numbers of deaths associated with these covid vaccines compared to all other traditional vaccines. Check out the CDC report on vaccine related deaths. Since this is so new the effectiveness of these vaccines really isn't fully understood either.

We really should read, research, learn then make educated decisions on whether or not we want these vaccines in our body. It's my body, my choice!
"New" is a relative term. mRNA vaccine have been studied for decades. China Virus is the first targeted use of it, but it is not really "new".

From the link below:

"So, 30 years of painstaking research allowed several groups of scientists — including a group at Pfizer working with a German company called BioNTech, and a young company in Massachusetts called Moderna — to bring mRNA vaccine technology to the threshold of actually working. The companies had built platforms that, theoretically, could be used to create a vaccine for any infectious disease simply by inserting the right mRNA sequence for that disease.

Then along came COVID-19. Within weeks of identifying the responsible virus, scientists in China had determined the structure of all of its genes, including the genes that make the spike protein, and published this information on the Internet.

Within minutes, scientists 10,000 miles away began working on the design of an mRNA vaccine. Within weeks, they had made enough vaccine to test it in animals, and then in people. Just 11 months after the discovery of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, regulators in the United Kingdom and the US confirmed that an mRNA vaccine for COVID-19 is effective and safely tolerated, paving the path to widespread immunization. Previously, no new vaccine had been developed in less than four years."

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
wife and i are healthy enough, we are in our 60's. we have a large family, i only know of 4 who have had it. two of my son in laws had it through patient exposure. one has 4 children, the other 5, no one else in their household got it. their opinion is to not get it unless there are specific needs. neither have been told as of yet that they will be required to get it. their both know of negative reactions from the various vaccine. i am not on the fence at all. i see no reason to be a Lab Rat for anyone. these vaccines have been rushed to the public and are being tweaked in the process, there have been reported issues of problems with batches of vaccines that have been administered to the public. one of my neighbors died four days after receiving his vaccine in January, I think it was Pfizer. Make your decision as you see fit but i wouldn't rush into it....

·
Previously 89109
330 Posts
3 of us got the J&J at work last week, all had fever , chills, lethargy everyone was fine after approx 36 hours.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
As a first responder, I was strongly encouraged to get the first available to us (Pfizer), so I did since I also have respiratory issues and am over 65.
No issues whatsoever from the first shot, not even a sore shoulder.
The second shot I did get a slightly sore shoulder and very mild flu-like symptoms which only lasted overnight the day of the shot. All in all no problem.
I think its OK. The risk of future problems is well documented for some individuals who get Covid. I think the risk for future problems is less getting vaccinated. Even with the regular Flu vaccines there is a chance of problems.
Life itself is a risk! I recommend getting vaccinated.
CJ

·
Registered
11,575 Posts
"Pfizer working with a German company called BioNTech, and a young company in Massachusetts called Moderna — to bring mRNA vaccine technology to the threshold of actually working."

to the THRESHOLD... hmmm... this is where they would normally start controlled testing, not releasing it to the public...

·
Registered
101 Posts
NFW, Gates.jpg
I am going to be 67 in May, I have never had a flu shot, never had the flu. I did lose two cousins one in his 80's his son in his late 60's.
If it's your time, it's your time.

1. The inventor of the treadmill had died at the age of 54.

2. The inventor of gymnastics died at the age of 57.

3. The world bodybuilding champion died at the age of 41.

4. The best footballer in the world Maradona, died at the age of 60.

BUT

5. The KFC inventor died at 94.

6. Inventor of Nutella brand died at the age of 88.

7. Imagine, cigarette maker Winston died at the age of 102.

8. The inventor of opium died at the age of 116 in an earthquake.

9. Hennessey Cognac inventor dies at 98.

How did these doctors come to the conclusion that exercise prolongs life?

The rabbit is always jumping up and down but it lives for only 2 years and the turtle that doesn’t exercise at all, lives 400 years.

So, take some rest, Chill, stay cool, eat, drink and enjoy your life.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
I am 46 pretty good shape the odds of it having a major effect on me would be pretty low. I got vaccinated pretty early 2nd shot mid Jan. I would be pretty upset if I unknowingly passed it to my parents in there 70s diabetic it would be serious for them probably. My almost 90 year old grandma it would probably be a death sentence. I also travel a lot for work.
I am happy with my decision. If it is terrible and the vaccine takes out those that took it those left will have an interesting world. 2/3 or so drop in population would be interesting to think what it would be like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 74 with COPD. I received my first Pfizer vaccine in mid Jan. and second in February.
No issues at all except slight injection site soreness.

Man up and take the vaccine for yourself, your family, and the American people!

·
Moved on...
10,161 Posts
Think of it this way. Trump fought EVERYONE and EVERYTHING to get past all of the bureaucratic loopholes, blocks and political linebackers to get the vaccine out in just over 9 months. If he was still president and was telling you and me it was "safe", would you have less fear of it? Is it a gamble? Absolutely! However, I believe it's better odds taking the shot than dying from the virus or passing it to someone that may die from it?

Tough call any way you look at it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Got the Pfizer vaccine. 1st Dose - Three weeks ago. Arm was sore at the vaccination site for 24 hours. No other side effects. 2nd Dose - This week. Arm was sore at the vaccination site for 24 hours. No other side effects.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts