close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

?? on replacing hard drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TenMillimeter, Feb 26, 2005.

1. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

I'm renovating an old pc for my daughter, and just replaced a dead hard drive, which is something I've never done. I want to install XP Pro, and I have a few questions:

If I buy a full version of XP Pro, should the pc boot from that CD?

Are there any setup steps I need to take before booting from the CD?

When I turn it on, and it's going through the initial diagnostics, it shows the new hard drive as the slave disk, and nothing for the master disk. Should it be the master, and do I just keep moving the jumper around until it shows that? The new HD didn't come with any instructions.

Thanks,
    John

2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

It would be helpful if you provide a little info about this "older" computer, such as the processor, memory etc...

Yes it should be the master, look on the hard drive for the jumper settings.

3. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

Sorry, it's an AMD K6-III/400 with 128MB. The new HD is a WD 80GB. I never thought to look on the HD itself for the jumper settings, and had already physically installed it. I went back and have the jumper set correctly now. It's showing the new HD as master, with nothing for the slave.

Once I get a full version of XP Pro, I should just be able to boot from that and go through with the install, right? Or is there anything else I need to do beforehand or during the process?

Thanks for the help.

4. Sgt. Schultz

Your system will run XP but I would double the RAM. If you have the original Windows CD/Disks from the old computer you can save some money by purchasing the upgrade version of XP and do a full install. Start the setup process by booting to the XP disk. When the previous version of Windows is not found on the hard disk drive, it will ask you to insert a CD from qualifying version of Windows to verify before continuing the installation. On a new HD M$ will prompt you to create a new partition to install the operating system on, then you should select NTFS and choose regular format. Then just follow the prompts. Install all of the latest updates from the M$ web site except for service pack 2 ... I repeat do NOT install SP2!

5. prism

prism more ammo

starting from scratch like that, I would recommend making a second partition on the hard drive. most space used for C:, and maybe 10 gigs for a D: partition. it can be used for improved organization, keeping data separate, storing system files backups, or storing downloads. it makes things *really* nice when you feel like formatting C: and reinstalling windows, because you can save your data to D: first.

6. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

Thank you both for the good advice. I appreciate it.

7. Sgt. Schultz

I disagree with using a partitioned hard drive for storing backup data; a few bad sectors could render the entire drive useless. As cheap as hard drives are these days I’d suggest a second hard drive as well as a CD/DVD-RW drive for backup data. Also to simplify the backup process you should always keep all of your data in one folder.

8. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

A second HD is a better choice, but if not really desired then a partition is still better than nothing ;)

9. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Oh, and if your new XP disc doesn't have SP2, download and install it immediately or don't install it at all. It has way to many problems if installed down the road IMOP.

10. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

If you have another Windows disc (ME, 2000, etc) you can get the cheaper XP upgrade. All it really needs is to read the old disc to allow you to upgrade. If you don't have one you can just borrow one from somebody.

11. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

How much is it going to cost you to upgrade that dinosaur?

How much for a new e-machines computer?

TThe new machine comes with Windows XP home with enough emmeory and processing speed to handle everything you need.

take that 400Mhz and give it to a church so they can do simple word processing with it.