on line brand new digital cameras ?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by spober, Mar 25, 2007.

1. spober

spober

how can www.bananaboatcamera.com offer nikon D-200 CAMERA BODYS FOR 599-799 every day but in best buys or circut city or even photo mags the run 1699 at the cheapest and at sam bass their almost 2 large!:tongueout::banana:

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Right now they're selling them for $479 body only. :rofl:

Here is how it is possible: a lifetime rating of 0.88 on a scale of 0 to 10. :shocked:

They are a scam. Check resellerratings.com. Here is a quote of how they talk to complaining customers: "u know what dummy, I cant waste my time with stupid people like you ok? by bye monkey".
    :tease:

3. spober

spober

if they can sell me a brand new d 200 for 479.00 they can talk to me anyway they please.come on thats insane.under 500 is 1/3 of the retail anyware else.what gives? wheres the scam?

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Read the comments at the URL I gave in the previous post. You will never see your camera for that money. They just want you to call and give them your credit card number. Then, if you are lucky, you will get something else (if anything at all). It's a fraud (does that sound better than "scam"?).

A rating of 0.88 means "run, don't walk" away from them.

What's ridiculous to me is that they are still allowed to operate. Sometimes our law enforcement system is not easy to understand.

5. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

hwyhobo said it all - stay far, far away from them.

6. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

are you that naive?

7. ponykilr

ponykilr Off The Porch

They bait and switch dude. They try to sell you stuff like 256mb memory cards for $88, and extra batteries for $100. if you insist on just the camera, they are suddenly "out of stock".

"Camera store" scams are all over the net, dont get suckered in. If it is hundreds below the normal price point, let common sense be your guide.

8. madecov

madecov book em' Danno

Buy.com
    B&H Photo
    Adorama
    Calumet

others are iffy

9. hippy john

hippy john

I went with Beachcamera.com and they were really good. Good prices too. Got my stuff quickly and it all is up to par. They offered free shipping on most of their stuff, but it was like 10-15 more to have 3- 4 day "express" shipping or whatever. In the end, it was still significantly cheaper than anything around here. I have no complaints about them, and would not hesitate to shop there again.

10. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Yes, I would add Beach Camera and their sister store - BuyDig.com - to the list of OK places. Over the years I bought a number of things from Beach, icluding a camera. Their prices were great, all merchandise had the U.S. warranty, and the shipping was fast. I would use them again as well.

11. WINGS

WINGS CLM

I've purchased 2 Olympus cameras from www.buydig.com and got great prices and delivery. The first camera was a C-4040 Zoom and the other is an Evolt-500 with both lens.
    I just bought a top-of-the-line Sharp Aquos 32" LCD HDTV from them this month for $812 and chose the free delivery option (7 to 10 days). I placed the order online on Wednesday, about noon, and it showed up the next day at 3:00pm. That's awesome service.
    I recommend buydig too.
    :thumbsup:

12. Glkster19

Glkster19

Do you guys ever use enterprisephoto.com? Some of their prices I've seen look to be pretty good.

13. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Their ratings are definitely not in line with their prices: http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Enterprise_Photo

14. Glkster19

Glkster19

Ummm thanks. Just added the resellerratings website to my favorites and deleted 1 particular favorite.

Didn't check out the resellers website from the first posting, guess I should have :embarassed:

15. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I bought my last 2 cameras plus other electronics at onecall.com I have been happy with everything I have purchase from them.

16. spober

spober

so its a crap shoot over the internet.fine.glad i found out.i never have and never will buy online.:banana:

17. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

There are very reputable companies selling online. B&H is one of them. I have bought from them and would not hesitate to do so again in the future.

18. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

do you pay attention, or not? :upeyes:

while, there are some bad net shops, there are some great ones.

19. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Mind you, if price was no issue (think "winning a lottery"), I would prefer to buy from a local brick & mortar just to support local economy and have a place to exchange equipment if needed easily. However, that assumes three things:

1. The local place was of highest reputation
    2. Their service was top notch
    3. Their exchange policies were good

Believe me, it is not easy to find such a place, even though the equipment usually costs considerably more than from B&H. In fact, quite a few of my local experiences were rather frustrating. There are a couple of places left that I had recommended to me, but their prices are stratospheric, so the lottery option is almost a necessary prerequisite.