On Buying a Swiss K31

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Palouse, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Palouse

Palouse The Resistance Lifetime Member

I've wanted a Swiss K31 for awhile now, and I've found one locally for sale for $250. It appears to be in pretty average condition with no corrosion. Made in 1943 per the serial number, which are all matching. Knowing some types of firearms exhibit problems that are common to that particular firearm, are there any that the K31 commonly exhibits that I should be asking questions about?

2. oldfort

oldfort

I have several and do not think that I have ever read of any problems with a K31. Very accurate, they are my most favorite surplus rifle, and I have Mausers, Mosins, Enfields, and Arisakas. If you make this purchase, be sure to look under the butt plate. Some rifles carry info on who they were originally issued to, under it. IIRC, GP11 is boat tail 174gr FMJ match ammo and there are also several brands of hunting ammo. Good luck.

3. Palouse

Many thanks. I've never had the itch for old milsurp rifles, but the first time I saw a K31, I decided I needed to pick one up.

I've now seen photos of the rifle; it's got lots of blue, all the serials match, and he's willing to let it go for $200. I'll be looking at it tomorrow.

4. oldfort

oldfort

Is the stock Beech or Walnut? I have both. I really like the looks of the Beech, but most folks pay more for Walnut. Maybe you can post pics if you make the deal. That sounds like a good price for what they are bringing now. Mine were $89. Three of the five had the info under the butt plate. Good luck

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  5. Palouse

I'd happily buy a few at $89. :supergrin:

I didn't know they were made with more than one type of wood, so I didn't ask, but it looks like beech to me. I'm 90% certain I'll pick it up, and I'll post some photos of it when I do. Now I need to set up to reload for it.

6. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

I wish I would have picked one up back when they were 89 bucks.I still have yet to get one.A neighbor has one with a scout setup,had the mounts custom made to be permanent.Its a tack driver.

VERY well made and very accurate,they are one of the better designs in the surplus market these days.

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

As long as the bore is nice. go for it. Figure you are getting a rifle that would cost a couple grand to build these days. for $ 200.

8. oldfort

oldfort

The GP11 ammo cases may not reload very well, but you can start with new factory ammo. You can Google "Samco Global" for pics of the two types of wood. The Swiss do not have an army. At age 18 all young men are trained in the national guard and are issued a weapon and equipment to be kept in their home.

9. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

I paid around 150 for mine. Beech is more common than walnut. Mine had the tag under the butt plate. A tack driver for sure.

10. Sgt_Gold

Sgt_Gold

I bought a few K-31's back when they were under $120 or so. Some of the recent imports are not all matching, so getting one that is is a plus. Check the stock for repairs because some of these rifles were used hard. The rifling is polygonal, so when you look down the barrel you aren't going to see the traditional lands and groves of other milsurp rifles. The barrel is actually going to look a little worn out in terms of how the rifling appears. These rifles are really works of art. If someone were to build one today it would cost over $1k. If you reload you can use .308 bullets like the Sierra 168gr match king. They aren't going to get any cheaper so if it's in good condition I say buy it.

11. Danimal3805

Danimal3805

If by 90% you mean 900%........:whistling:
    For 200 if you don't want it , I'll buy it sight unseen!:supergrin:

12. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

"Very accurate"

"Its a tack driver."

"A tack driver for sure."

From 3 different posts in this, so far, short thread.

I was spending an evening at the range when a couple old guys showed with a trunkload of "crap".
    One fellow, a self-proclaimed expert, I soon discovered, asked if I had a Swiss 31. I made the mistake of replying, "No" and was treated to his 30-minute sales pitch.

"Finest military rifle ever made", he said. "It would cost thousands of dollars to produce a single gun in today's world, not counting the research. This is one of the most accurate rifles in the world." he continued. I would bet money, both of these two K-31's will outshoot any hunting rifle you own."

"Load 'em." I replied. "This I gotta see." It took forever for these two windbags to unload and set up.

The first rifle produced a 12-inch group at 100 yards. "Just warmin' up." the one with the whiskers commented.
    The other guy with the second rifle did a little better. Maybe 10-inch group if you don't count the flyers that missed the paper.

"Now we get out the good ammo," Whiskers said. "I was up half the night weighing each load and matching the bullets."

Those guys took turns friring from side-by-side positions. Each would fire one shot then waited 15 minutes for "the barrel to properly cool".
    I had to endure their tech-talk between each shot. They told stories of one-hole groups at 200 meters. They each swore they knew someone that had done it.

At last, they completed 5 shots each. We walked out to the targets. Whiskers had a 12-inch group and the other guy had a 10-inch group, if you didn't count the flyer that missed the paper.
    Whiskers was muttering something under his breath about mounting a scope.

I laughed so hard I may have cracked a rib. I didn't even try to hide my joy. They loaded their crap and left. I went back to sighting in my rifle, and enjoyed the peace and quite for the rest of the evening.

So, my questions are:

1. When you say they are accurate, did two old geezers, one with whiskers, tell you this or have you actually shot a good group?

2. When you say they are accurate, what does that mean in terms of group size?

3. If they are such fine rifles why don't we see some nice custom rifles made from them? Or shooters using them in competition?

Those are the only two K-31's I have ever seen fired and after some thought I believe those two had heard the same assertions I am hearing and had probably just received their rifles in the previous day's mail.

My suspicion, from inspecting several K-31's, is the Swiss rifles are indeed much better quality than Russian surplus as well as others, therefore more accurate than many others. I have shot several Russian rifles and they weren't even hunting quality.

Just curious. :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  13. oldfort

oldfort

Whatcha goin to say, when a man calls you a lier? My advice to you sir, is to never to buy a K31, Mosins, or shoot next to someone that has one. No Problem.

And don't even think about buying a Finn Mod 39.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  14. Berto

Berto woo woo

For me. the k31 shooting 5 into 1.5 to 2 inch groups right on POA at 100yrds first time out. off the bags with gp11 and Wolf Gold is "accurate" for open sights. With more experience I have pushed 1 MOA. which is about all I can get from open sights. These guns really are accurate.

15. Palouse

Picked her up. Nice rifle for having been a battle rifle, and now I'm in the market for ammo, brass and dies. Thanks for all the advice! :supergrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

Having once shot one inch groups with a stock surplus 30.06 Springfield, I have no doubt that the Swiss can build at least as good a turnbolt military rifle.

At gunshows, I was always put off by the weird looking bolt handle. Now I wish hadn't been.

17. oldfort

oldfort

Outstanding and Purty! Thanks for the pics. Mayhap the best $200 that you ever spent. If you are inclined, I think that there is web site that could put you in touch with the family of the info under the butt plate. When you get that ammo, please let us know if if shoots inside of 12". That rifle is as cool as it gets in a surplus. Life is good.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  18. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

:scared:

Oops! Are you an old codger with whiskers? :duel:

Exactly who did I call a lier?

:laughabove:

19. Palouse

This is the video that made me want a K-31.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ-Lcvyrifw

Even if my K-31 isn't sub-MOA, I don't really care (with apologies to Jack O'Connor); I like interesting actions.

20. Palouse

Found this, too.

[​IMG]