close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

On a hiring committee

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ithaca_deerslayer, May 3, 2012.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

This might be of interest if you want to see how an application process goes. Otherwise, not so much :)

I occassionally get on hiring committees. Sometimes as a chair, but this time just as a member. This is a 4 person committee hiring for another dept. But my dept is really interested in the organization getting a good person with skill set z.

People in charge of the money for this position put emphasis on 8 years of experience in generic skill set x. They also threw in skill set y. I think 4 years of x would have been enough, and longer makes it less likely someone has z.

50 applications. Pays 100k. Just picking from applications at this stage. Need 6 for the interview stage.

4 of us meet, bringing our top picks to the table. 4 apps easily agreed on and go to the A list. Sue wants one of the other apps to go to A list, because she knows that person, and thinks the person is good and qualified. I have to argue that the applicant doesn't have skill set z. Sue says close enough. I stick with no. Jack and Mary put the app in a B list for a maybe.

Go through more, and I make sure 2 others, not even my favorites, who don't have skill set z, get at least to the B list to keep Sue's friend from having an advantage.

The funny thing is it would have ended like that, but I had two more picks with skill set z that all 3 of the other committee members were ignoring because they weren't sure if those apps actually had 8 years of x. I said sure they do, if you interpret it this way. And more importantly, they have skill set z. So I got them on the bottom of the A list, thus giving us 6 to interview. And Sue's friend is not on that list.

I don't know any of these applicants except for one, who is already toward the top of the A list by mutual agreement. But I wasn't letting anyone without skill set z get on that interview list if I could help it.

Sue eventually saw it my way. Meaning she really began to see that her friend didn't have skill set z.

After my committee does the interviews, we will send 2 or 3 up the ladder and it will be out of my hands. So I'm doing my best to make sure that whoever makes it up the ladder has skill sets x, y, and z :)

Sue's friend still has a chance because those 3 in the B list are back ups if we don't bring at least 6 of the A list in for the interviews (some may have different jobs already).

Sue isn't doing anything wrong, but some more qualified apps almost got left out, if I hadn't fought for the importance of skill set z.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. GAtkins

GAtkins CLM #58 CLM

What was skill set Z?

Just curious....

Glenn

3. Hawker Man

Hawker Man

That is why there was a committee, to keep the Sues of the world in check.

4. longhair

longhair

Hawker- that is an excellant observation.

5. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

God no wonder I never get hired. I barely know a,b & c. :dunno: :supergrin:

6. droidfire

droidfire

...and wait until the interview when they check on p's and q's

7. FLGatorFan

FLGatorFan

In this case it worked. I think in a lot of cases, however, Sue is the one that's adamant and she makes sure her candidate(s) get on the A list.

8. Hamguy

Hamguy

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you know, but who you know.

9. droidfire

droidfire

...and why networking is such an important facet of employment.

10. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

It's top secret, but may involve Columbian negotiating skills with extra-domestic comfort workers :)

Just some newer way of doing things with some specific skills typically obtained with some specific additional training beyond the normal college degrees. Graduate programs are only recently being developed to cover it.

I couldn't be more vague, far as I can tell. Sorry :)

11. jason10mm

jason10mm NRA-GOA-TSRA

Here is how it works in government.

1. Identify a position that needs to be filled, create a qualifications list, get it approved, submit to CPAC.

2. 2 months later find out your qualifications list was incomplete or too stringent. Repeat 1.

3. 2 months later position is announced for 1 week with little to no fanfare or warning so we can notify people we know ar einterested in position.

4. 1 month later a list is given to us filled with people who don't have any of the qualifications we wanted but have lots of points due to their status. The well qualified folks may be too low on the list for us to even interview without specifically disqualifying the others.

5. We interview, but can't mandate any type of skill check or hands on evaluation. We must ask the same questions but avoid any that might actually enable us to determine how suitable the person is (thus we are forced to use leading questions and allow the interviewee to show their hand).

6. 2 months later CPAC tells us that our top 3 choices all got other jobs because of the delay in hiring notfication and they are actually qualified to do somehting, so we get a bottom choice left on the list by default.

7. 1-2 months later person shows up and we can actually start training them to do their job...oops, they still have 2 weeks of in-processing, physicals, and evlauaitons to do, plus an extra week 'cause they don't want to start anyone between paycheck cycles.

So, a good 8-10 months after we determined a need to hire we get a warm body. Yay! I'm not bitter :)

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

Skill set Z is always large boobs.

13. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

There were no pictures or body measurements on the applications :)

14. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

You forgot to mention what is on the voluntary self-identification forms.:whistling:

15. Z71bill

Z71bill

So you had to decide skill set Z based on touch? :whistling:

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

We don't see those. They go to HR. We notify HR of our decisions, and they say "ok". In theory, they can question why we skip over minorities (if it ever seemed like we did that), but I've never had them question such decisions.

In any of the hiring committees I've been on, race doesn't play a role at all. Don't know the race from the applications, no bonus points given to certain races, no complaining from HR about who we pick.

I know that all goes against the common perception of affirmative action running amok, just saying it doesn't seem to be happening where I work.

17. jpa

jpa CLM

Don't forget to cross your t's and dot your i's....PDQ.

I agree 1000% with jason's assessment of government hiring. Don't forget that your employer is the only non-union gov employer in the area so therefore salary and benefits are approx 50% less than your competition. Then add in the additional step of having an outside budget director having to approve a "Justification to fill" before you can even post an open position that's already been approved in the current budget.

18. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

What I'm taking from this is that the people in charge of the money for the position don't have a real idea of what they actually need, and are simply very lucky that someone who does showed up.

Which is pretty danged common.

19. Averageman

Averageman

It stands for Zowie, dem's sum big uns.