close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Olympics Questions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adjuster, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Adjuster

Adjuster

How are the Olympics funded? Who pays for all that hoopla?

Anyone on here ever been to an Olympic event?

How much do tickets cost?

Do you buy one ticket for all of the Olympics or a ticket for specific events?

Are they usually sold out or exclusive to get into an event?

2. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I live in Vancouver so...
    How is it funded? A ****load of taxes and debt. We have been planning it for years. Vancouver has a big homeless and drug problem. It costs less money to address this problem properly than it does to bandage it and push them away. In true political fashion, we bandage it, they occupy doorways, sleep on park benches, etc. It's really sad.

Anyway, a lot of money that was meant for other things went for the Olympics. You should see the things we've built for it. On all major roads, you cannot drive in the far right lanes, they're "reserved for Olympic officials" and only the useless Olympic employees and associations and whatever can use them. It's a 100 dollar fine if you're not approved to use those lanes. We pay all the taxes but they make it clear to stay out.

Don't get me wrong I am very proud to have the Olympics here, but we spent a lot of money and screwed a lot of people to get it.
    Businesses are suffering really badly because of construction and lack of parking. And what do they get in return? Loss of revenue and increased taxes to pay for this thing.

Tickets range from like 25 to several hundred, I think some are available. You have to buy tickets for specific events ,not the whole thing. There's a lot of free concerts and stuff, but you have to wait in line and might not get in, it's super crowded.

It's amazing to see people from all countries in one places, brandishing flags, cheering their athletes on, everybody glued to the action. It's too bad typical bureaucratic bull**** had to ruin so much.