GlockTalk Forum banner

61 - 80 of 188 Posts

·
Banned
3,447 Posts
I'm not being negative. I like what they're doing. I just think it's akin to my seventh grade boycott of Pepsi because they sponsored Jeff Gordon. I never drank Pepsi anyway, so it really wasn't much of a sacrifice. I doubt Olympic does much LE business in NY. It's nice gesture, but is probably more symbolic than anything.
This^

Someone actually gets it.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Like you said "potential" is not something we can prove. That said we can what if this all day long.

Now lets look into an contracts DPMS has ever had w/ any .gov/.mil in NY. Have they had any? Can project future sales based on past sales? Lots of companies do. Things like, based on sales from the previous 3 years our projected sales for this December are xyz.

So based on DPMS's sales to NY .gov what is their projected lost revenue?

I have never sold a rifle to anyone in NY. If I told NY to kick rocks it's simply lip service and holds no weight. Now if I had a million dollar a year, 10 year contract w/ NY and told them to take a leep it would mean something.

Like I said in my first post here, I tip my hat at their gesture in following what other companies had already done.
Like you just said no one knows what this move will cost Olympic. In fact now that they have made this move no one ever will. Maybe it cost them nothing, maybe it cost them millions. None of us know, but it seems Olympic was willing to risk it :wavey:

All the more reason the give them kudos IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They just went a step further:

Now, Olympic Arms has drawn another line in the sand, calling out the Fraternal Order of Police when they were solicited to advertise in a FOP publication.
The following was posted to Olympic Arms Facebook page.

Olympic Arms was recently asked to advertise in the FOP Journal; the official magazine of the Fraternal Order of Police. It is well known that the FOP is a staunch supporter of Gun Control, had backed the AWB under Bill Clinton, and supports the current AWB under consideration that was introduced by Diane Feinstein. The FOP was actually accredited as being one of the sources that helped prepare the language of Gun Control suggestions that were forwarded by Vice President Biden. Below is a copy of our response to the FOP Journal:
Please forward this email to every major principal in your organization. Note, the post was reformatted to better fit this website.
AS:
1. The Fraternal Order of Police is on Congressional Record as having been a major supporter of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.
2. As a matter of fact and record, the FOP is accredited with assisting VP Biden in formulating the language of the newly proposed ban
3. Additionally, as a matter of fact and public record, the FOP is in support of the newly recommended Assault Weapons Ban introduced by Senator Feinstein.
a. FOP representatives were actually standing on the Stage during the presentation as a sign of “support”.
THEREFORE:
Olympic Arms, Inc, manufacturers of AR15 type firearms, firearms that these legislators would call “Assault Weapons”, will not be supporting in any way, shape, form or fashion, The Fraternal Order of Police, any organization that represents, supports, takes advertising dollars from, spends advertising dollars with, is in anyway related to, any individual who is a card carrying member of, or any person or entity in any way associated with the Fraternal Order of Police. Period.
Henceforth;
- Be assured that Olympic Arms will not rest in its efforts to educate our customers, fans and followers the extent of the hypocrisy committed by the FOP and FOP Journal (fighting to outlaw the firearms produced by the very companies they now solicit for advertising dollars…). You can also be certain that we continue to make every effort to properly educate the firearms consumer in general, of the same.
- Additionally, we will make continued efforts at assure that ALL firearms manufacturers are aware of the FOP’s support to strip Constitutional Rights from Americans, and their support of further unconstitutional gun control legislation.
- We pledge to inform all of our customers the lengths that the FOP and associated FOP affiliates by proxy (which includes all your advertisers)are willing to go to in order to strip the American Citizen of their Constitutional Rights, while at the same time writing in exemptions to the same legislation to ensure that their members maintain those same rights they would have stripped from others.
- Your actions are the actions of a rogue organization supporting tyranny, not an organization sworn to uphold the laws of the land, to protect, serve and defend their constituencies.
Let it be know, that your actions are reprehensible and shameful.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politic...-reinstate-assault-weapons-ban-and-much-more/
http://www.guncite.com/aswpolice.html

Sincerely,
Thomas A. Spithaler
Sales & Marketing Dir.
Olympic Arms, Inc.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
I await the negative post about their latest actions in defense of the 2nd A. No doubt those posts will come.

Bravo Olympic Arms on your actions....again.

·
NRA Life Member
63,420 Posts
Mall ninjas or men that have actually had to use/ still use this style of firearm to preserve/take life? Or even those that actually use their ARs on a regular basis. The use of the phrase mall ninja says a lot about a person.
Yep, I meant mall ninjas. My rifles are issued by the Army, my brothers are from the state police. The people who hang out on the internet talking brand names of AR's are "mall ninjas."

My guess would be that you are not "those that use this style of firearm to preserve/take life."

:mallninja:
And you may want to check your info/source. Unlike you I have researched this, I have talked w/ DPMS employees, and experienced their performance when demanded to perform as the platform was designed.

Innovations? Where?
Do you really not understand how people can tell?:mallninja:
:rofl:

By the way, when did DPMS buy Olympic Arms - not sure what that's supposed to mean.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
... I'm just an honest citizen concerned that people are unable to see past the smoke.

... If DPMS isn't being affected what weight do their words carry? None.
Before we get lost in the "smoke" and let petty bickering divide 2A supporters take a look at NY's SAFE Act. It expands the definition of "assault weapons" and immediately bans semi-automatic pistols and rifles with detachable magazines and one military style feature; shotguns with similar features are included. Grandfathered firearms must be registered and recertified every five years. These firearm can only be sold out of state or through a federal firearm licensee.

Magazine limited to 7 rounds. This law also bans possession of pre-1994 high cap mags, giving owners one year to sell or forfeit to authorities. Oh, you can keep the grandfathered 10 round mags as long as you only load 7 rounds.

Ammunition purchases will be tracked by requiring state background checks and transmission of records to state police. High volume purchases will require the dealer to "alert" the police to your purchase. Online purchases will have to go through State Registered dealers who will also require a background check.

There is more to the law, but what is equally alarming are the measures that were left out of the final bill. These are the actions that gun control advocates really want and will seek to add to the law.

1. Confiscation of "assault weapons"
2. Confiscation of ten round clips
3. Statewide database for ALL Guns
4. Continue to allow pistol permit holder's information to be replaced to the public
5. Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as "assault weapons”
6. Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines
7. Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines
8. Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month
9. Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners
10. Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years
11. State issued pistol permits
12. Micro-stamping of all guns in New York State
13. Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers
14. Mandatory locking of guns at home
15. Fee for licensing, registering weapons

NYC residents are so helplessly beat down that they passively acquiesce to the Mayor restricting how much soft drink they are "allowed" to buy. It doesn't take a genius to understand the implications of gun control legislation spreading between the coasts. Any business that can read political graffiti knows that their very existence is being challenged. Olympic Arms will go up in "smoke" if these gun confiscation advocates have their way. Empty gesture, I don't think so.

·
Registered
231 Posts
They have? Where, when? Let's see where they've lost revenue from any .gov/.mil contracts.

<snip>

Innovations? Where?
Someone close to Oly posted a list of sorts in a related thread as to the quiet deals they have/had with .GOV and .MIL and .IDF. Oly has always operated on the DL what with deals with other AR makers to provide lowers and parts, and with govts.

That plus not spending for advertising bux on ARFCOM and M4rgery.net will hurt ones rep - as you well know... Maybe if they bought banners at ARFCOM on a reg basis??

Innovations? AFAIK; first with a pistol AR, billet recvr AR, 7.62x39 AR, several wildcat cal ARs, railed AR.

Ancient history that clings like stink - their long-ended experiment with cast lowers offered to lure the home-builders and casual AR shooters - sounded like a good idea at the time. Hobbyist assembly issues - permanent bad rep.

I don't work for Oly, could give a schnitt. But - like the pointless WASR-hate on the 'net; the repitition of old/dead info/tales/hearsay gets reeeeeeal tireseome.

As for others;

Magpul has thrown down the glove to CO - let's see if Remmy, Kimber, ATI, Kahr, Numrich do the same with Cooumo-land;

http://www.facebook.com/magpul/posts/428803833863947

Larue has also stated that they will only sell 2A-approved items to LEOs - nuthin special for LEOs that Joe Citizen can't readily get.

·
Banned
65,071 Posts
Yep, I meant mall ninjas. My rifles are issued by the Army, my brothers are from the state police. The people who hang out on the internet talking brand names of AR's are "mall ninjas."
According to him, he served in the Army and cleared a village or two. So one can surmise that the M4 or whatever Uncle Sam issued to him at such time was put to good use (i.e. taking lives/defending lives).

My guess would be that you are not "those that use this style of firearm to preserve/take life."

:mallninja:
I'd like to know how many hajis/terrorists/Hells Angels/thugs/armed robbers/gangstas he had smoked since he left the Army with his privately owned jazzed up Mattel Toy.
Do you really not understand how people can tell?:mallninja:
:rofl:
Usually people can tell when others began to spout about "serious use" and "not toys" and training for "combat" even though they aren't doing any of the above.

A GI who is on garrison duty isn't in "combat". A veteran who isn't a cop or a deployed National Guard/Reservist, isn't doing any "combat" either.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Only hope other companies join in.

·
Registered
15,127 Posts
If their stuff is(ive heard no can anyone verify??) any good id get it just to support them. Nice to see people/businesses taking a stand. Now that said if they dont make good guns I would never be able to justify a purchase.

·
The Anti-Glock
4,396 Posts
Unless Glock, Sig Sauer, S&W and H&K follow suit, this will mean nothing. And as 3 of these companies are European companies, I highly doubt they would.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Unless Glock, Sig Sauer, S&W and H&K follow suit, this will mean nothing. And as 3 of these companies are European companies, I highly doubt they would.
You're wrong.

It does mean something. It means that there still are some good people out there with some balls willing to take a stand. The fact that some folks on this board don't see that is telling and sad.

Again. Good for them :thumbsup:

·
The Anti-Glock
4,396 Posts
You're wrong.

It does mean something. It means that there still are some good people out there with some balls willing to take a stand. The fact that some folks on this board don't see that is telling and sad.

Again. Good for them :thumbsup:
It won't mean anything to the NYS legislature and that's all that counts.

·
Banned
3,447 Posts
Anyone have any links to any contracts Oly has had w/ any NY .gov or .mil? I'm more than willing to change my tune but I see no reason to. Anyone can say they won't sell to whoever they want but if they weren't selling to them in the first place what difference does it make? It means nothing.

Now what Magpul is doing actually has weight to it. They actually make a product used by shooters. They're not just giving lip service like Oly.

Pistol ARs are not an innovation, they are useless. Billet receivers, not as good as forged receivers. 7.62x39 and wildcat ARs, blah.

While you all get diverted by Olys lip service the people really making a difference go unnoticed.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Anyone have any links to any contracts Oly has had w/ any NY .gov or .mil? I'm more than willing to change my tune but I see no reason to. Anyone can say they won't sell to whoever they want but if they weren't selling to them in the first place what difference does it make? It means nothing.

Now what Magpul is doing actually has weight to it. They actually make a product used by shooters. They're not just giving lip service like Oly.

Pistol ARs are not an innovation, they are useless. Billet receivers, not as good as forged receivers. 7.62x39 and wildcat ARs, blah.

While you all get diverted by Olys lip service the people really making a difference go unnoticed.
Can we at least agree that what Olympic has done in regards to NY is a lot more constructive than all of their nay sayers on this thread combined have done in regard to NY?

Who gives a rats butt what contracts they have or had, they gave up any possible future ones. That is a cold hard fact rather you or any other self appointed expert on the buying patterns of NY law enforcement agencies understand that or not. You simply can not say that no agencies in NY were not going to buy any ARs from Olympic in the future. You can say it was very unlikely but to say that they gave up nothing as there was no chance is conjecture on your part pure and simple.

You want proof they lost contracts in NY? I don't have it. Why don't you post proof they had no chance to ever get one in NY?

61 - 80 of 188 Posts