Olympians NEVER quit!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gallium, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Ever. :faint: :embarassed:

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Sometimes you need to go with you gut feeling.
    :supergrin:

3. slaytera666

slaytera666

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

If I got that far, I'd AT LEAST get to some point in the heat of competition AND THEN cry "charlie horse". :whistling:

:rofl:

5. chuckman

chuckman

I understand how he feels. Once, when I was a professional curler, I freaked out before the big event. That...broom...still gives me nightmares. That's why I had to get out of the sport. My God, do you know how many curlers die each year?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  6. freespirit34

freespirit34 BMFTSY

I won't go near a broom. Vacuums only for me from now on. Frightening !!

7. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I think this tells me all I need to know. If he didn't have (presumably) a wife and 2 kids then yeah, he's a vag. Otherwise, he's doing his fatherly duty.

The IOC will be under some scrutiny in the coming year for all these perilous course designs that they have instituted this year...it's all about the money and safety has taken a back seat as far as I am concerned. How many stories this year have we heard where athletes have claimed they are scared? Several IIRC. I haven't heard those stories in Olympics' past.

Greg

8. RustySocket

RustySocket

At least he knows his limits.

....but on a four man team only one guy can drive??...

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Sounds like bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse, assailing and impaling him with monster truck force.

10. racerford

racerford

Driving a sled is a very specialized skill. The guys in the back are for their strength and speed. Look at the drivers on the teams. Some of them clearly have not missed a meal. The pushers have broad shoulders, big thighs and look like sprinters, well because they are. Some of the drivers look like me, and that is not a the shape of a finely tuned athelete:rofl:

11. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

True ... his team mates should be glad he bagged, save them get killed because the drivers nerves overcame his skills.

He should never compete again.

12. hoffy

hoffy

because you know he will(maybe) get a lot of grief from other teams. My policy is to get back on the horse so to speak, but have never been injured doing something as dangerous as bobsledding(well I ride a motorcycle as primary transport). I fractured 2 vertebrae training for a mountain bike race weeks after I won my first race. I was back on the trainer in 2 weeks , outside on bike in 6 weeks and competing again within a year. I had my family to consider, but not 3 other guys behind me whose fate immediately depended on me. I know bicycling it takes tremendous concentration zooming at 70 mph down a twisty mountain road on 23mm tires,(you almost dare not look at the speedo, use the max speed indicator after its over, I did this once on the blue ridge parkway, something like twice the limit, but just rode what I thought was in my limit, only to find out I had hit over 70, with cliffs on one side:faint:) and if one has doubts they would freeze the prudent thing to do would be not to do it. Now one would think olympians are a different breed, but there have been a lot of complaints, not to mention the death. I fear the whole thing is due to oneupsmanship on whoever is setting up the tracks at Vancouver. I think I heard some one say the organizers were disappointed that their expected 100+ mph speeds were not reached. How would you like to have a surgeon working on you who had lost their nerve, after a disaster on the table? I know orthopedic surgeons who wont tackle tough stuff after a couple of criplings, rightly so. I hit a giant dog some idiot let run loose going only 20 mph and badly broke my arm, will never be the same, but I made sure of the surgeon who worked on me, and he worked over an hour over the scheduled 3 hours trying to get it as right as he could. On a lighter note, anyone realize how flat the Netherlands is:rofl:

13. Gallium

Gallium CLM

That's just ****ing so wrong.

Ever seen their wimmen?:faint::faint: Flat does not apply.

14. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

Yeah he is a real vag for refusing to risk his and his teammates lives sliding down a giant hot wheels track in a fancy sled... whatever.

Personally I respect him for recognizing his limits and not putting others at risk. While it would have been nice to bail out before all the training and preparations were made... he still managed to quit before he caused any more harm. If he did make the run and hurt himself or someone else he would have to live with that longer than the memory of being in the Olympics, and that Olympic hero status wears off pretty fast from a wheelchair and you soon become the guy who ruined his life while sledding... hardly a heroic description.

After the luge dude killed himself I began to wonder just how important it is to slide down an ice track at 90 mph... Are the Olympics really worth dying over?

Please note that the opinions expressed here are from a life long, land locked, Texan. I don't understand "extreme" snow skiing, surfing with sharks, or luge/bobsled land speed record runs. I cannot imagine how those "sports" are worth dying over... but I may just not "get it" and I am prepared for that to be true.

15. FPS

FPS

He's going the distance. He's going for speed.