close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Olive oil on the grill...

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by PDogSniper, Apr 4, 2006.

1. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Ok, I'm usually a traditionalist and so comes it when I cook on the grill...

Grill preparation for me is to run the fire up high, burn off any residue and brush it with a wire brush, that's it...

Well, watching a few cooking shows of late I see that they recommend coating the grill with Olive Oil prior to splaying the meat to the fire....

I try it tonight with some Ribeyes and low and behold, no sticking... But what I did find was, even though the meat was moist, juicy and succulant it also had a off, almost bitter taste to it....

Did I experience a taste totally new to me...? I can't say it was a bad flavor but then again, not something I'm used to... Something to acquire....?

Just an observation...

2. lcarreau

lcarreau Reload Artist

I thought olive oil was not for high heat stuff. Maybe I am wrong, but that is what I always thought.

-Lonnie

3. noway

noway

I doubt the olive did all of that. I use olive oil in about 80% of my wet marinades for beef and lamb with no off bitter taste. What I do use on the grill is ( outside one ) is pam. It works wonder but nine out of ten times I don't use it on beef but for fish. I like the grating to be hot and to leave seared markets in my beef/pork/chicken meats.

4. jm_usmc

jm_usmc Two eagles

Olive oil has a lower "smoke point" than some other oils. I use canola oil to oil my grill grate as it has a higher smoke point and can be found easily (and cheaper than olive oil).

IIRC, peanut oil (for turkey frying) has the highest smoke point.

5. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Try not brushing the grill off, make sure the grates are up to temp before you put the meat on, and dont move or flip anything for a couple minutes....usually if you let the meat touching the grate to get a little char it will release on its own.