close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

olice officers giving a 'warning' ticket etc.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adjuster, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Adjuster

Adjuster

I caught something on tv and it reminded me I have been given my fare share of warning tickets or whatever you want to call them for traffic violations. I have also seen on the TV show COPS the police letting underage kids go to their parents with warnings for things like shoplifting. So my question is what is the most serious crime a police officer can witness or investigate and let the involved parties go with just a warning?

/

2. Adjuster

Adjuster

Dang what happened to my 'P'?

/

3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I am not currently a LEO, but it is about officer discretion most of the time. People will be let go a lot of times for misdemeanor offenses, or ticketed and released.

I highly doubt many LEOs would let you walk away from a felony without taking you off to the clink.

4. Dan_ntx

Dan_ntx

I have always been under the impression that "warning" traffic tickets were a myth...at least written warnings. I've either recieved a ticket, or not been pulled over.

Maybe it's regional...

5. rockapede

rockapede

I book and release for certain felonies, but everyone gets charged. Misdemeanors (or in my case as a municipal officer, ordinance violations) occasionally get let go with a warning. It really just depends on who the victim is and what the crime was.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

At least two local police departments as well as the state troopers in Illinois have official "warning" citations that get filled out and handed to you just like a real ticket.

7. rockapede

rockapede

I'm glad I don't have to do those. I bet the cite-to-warn ratio is a lot higher at those agencies, though.

8. Rancher

Rancher

We did not have "warning tickets" while I was a LEO but I was a patrol officer. I think Kansas still has them as far as their Highway Patrol goes. It allows you to be put in the system without being actually cited. My BIL is an Arkansas State Trooper. He has to make a certain number of contacts on a daily basis. No ticket quota. He has discretion on the tickets and says unless they are 15 over he don't write them which I think is high. He has a zero tollerence on open container or any impairment while driving.

Rancher

9. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

I wrote a boat load of warnings and will do so again when I'm back working as a patrol officer. Every vehicle stop I make gets paper. The vast majority are warnings. I explain to folks that, "this is a written warning that does not effect you in anyway. Its mostly so my bosses know I'm out here working and doing my job. Just , slow down, get your brake light fixed, etc when you get a chance."

Freshly expired tags, inspection, minor traffic offenses and equipment violations get written warnings. No insurance, not having your children properly restrained, excessive speeding and a general bad attitude will get you a "hard back" (i.e. citation) My job is to enforce the law, provide for the general public safety and get bad people off the street. None of those purposes are served by dinging the working man with an expensive ticket because he was driving fast to his kids t-ball game or had a busted tail light.

As far as criminal offenses go, I don't feel I have the option warnings for the most part. I generally do try to give kids breaks and release them to the custody of their parents with or without a misdemeanor citation depending on what they were doing and their behaviour. Adults will get a break in the for of misdemeanor citation instead of arrest, not having charges stacked on for whatever they were arresed for, recommending a PR bond to the judge and that sort of stuff.

10. rockapede

rockapede

10-15 over is a pretty common threshold for most cops in your area, which is also my area.

11. Spike52

Spike52

I think I was pulled over once in my life when I was a young driver in NC and given a stern, "Slow it down." For the most part, I did.

Received a couple "fixit tickets" when I drove jalopies, where I had to come in later and show a magistrate evidence that I'd fixed this or that.

Don't recall ever getting a recorded "warning" citation.

Might be something in your diet. :p

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  12. silentpoet

silentpoet

I was told that when you pull them over, the driver will let you know if he wants a ticket or not. This was in reserve class back almost 10 years ago.

13. Rancher

Rancher

That is good to know. In a town I stay at the limit. Country highway I am usually 4-5 over. Interstate no more than 6 over and can't believe how many pass me. Guess that is where you guys get the real idiots! I just don't get the excessive speed. Everybody gets in a hurry but a 15-20 over hurry is a bit much.

Rancher

14. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

Reckless, careless, drive while stupid, drive with head up butt, red light/stop signs, and attitudes were written. Speed up to 15 over, and a few other traffic codes (unless drive while stupid or head up butt) were warned.

Actual crimes, people were either arrested and jailed, or booked, then released pending a capias/warrant depending on severity of the crime.

15. silentpoet

silentpoet

Just remembered I got a warning ticket last year. I didn't know my taillight was out. Funny thing was I was going to orielly's to pick up some stuff for my caddy project car.

16. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

I've received a warning ticket at least once. I rolled through a stop sign and received a warning.

I've also received a written ticket due to a burnt out headlight. I don't know if that falls under that category.

17. GD2J

GD2J GoDirectly2Jail

As stated in the first reply, it boils down to discretion. When the law reads that an officer MAY (blah blah) versus SHALL (blah blah) then it is up to them to decide whether or not to cite.

18. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

1. We write a lot of warnings where I am at.

2. In Texas it is pretty simple. The law tells Peace Officers in some cases I "May" arrest. (I have discretion) and in some cases I "Shall" arrest. (I must arrest)

When it comes to juvenile stuff, it often works a little different in some cases, so dont let that confuse you, because it can be. For example, depending on age and infraction, it could be a civil issue.

Also, dont be confused for someone being let go for various misdemeanors. In many cases, if the Officer did not see the crime, he can not make an arrest "right there". That doesnt mean it wont happen. People "see" someone being let go and "hear" the Officer say "I cant do anything about it"(no matter what the Officer says, that is what people take away from the conversation), however, what really often happens is the Officer has to present the case to someone (in many States a DA) and then get charges filed and a warrant issued...THEN we can go arrest him.

19. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

I write few citations. If I'm running traffic, I'm looking for warrants, stolen cars, suspended, false and fic, etc. Most things that a hard nosed trooper would write for I let off with a verbal warning. I don't like written warnings because it wastes my time and yours. If it's a new/young driver I sometimes will do written warnings to serve as a reminder, but if I can't convey to you verbally that you need to slow down/stop/fix your taillight/etc then I doubt me writing it on a piece of paper will help.

Citations I reserve for people who I catch more than once, people who have horrid attitudes, and new driver's who I don't think are going to get the point with a warning. And they are welcome to come to court if they wish.

20. Ftttu

Ftttu

Our agency uses electric tickets and paper tickets which both have the option of giving a ticket or a warning. There are check boxes at the top of the ticket for either choice. Our policy is that we can cite for non-moving violations but that we "should" cite for moving violations. Should doesn't mean shall so we pretty much have discretion until it comes to citing for motor vehicle accidents. We've been instructed that we're supposed to cite for the moving violation causing the accident even though it isn't in our policy. We give far more verbal warnings than written warnings since the warning information stays in the ticket book, never being entered into any official record.