Older dog, went super downhill in about 5 minutes

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by gh0st614, Aug 9, 2005.

1. gh0st614

gh0st614

My best friend in the world was fine 11:30 tonight, I run to drop a cd off to a friend and come back and she is really tryin to chew on something hard. I finally get it out of her mouth and its a rotten molar. I knew her teeth were bad and she was able to eat, I think she got he incisor into her fur and ripped it out and along came the rest. All of her teeth on the upper left side are missing and Im really at a loss of what to do sitting here at 1am. Does she need to be put to sleep? She is about 12 human years old and Im sure shes had a wonderful life but Im worried about all sorts of things now...what if it gets infected, what if she cant eat...should I wait it out and see what happens or send her to heaven to wait for me? This is truly tearing me apart right now.

All she will do right now is lay down on the bad part of her mouth...cant for the world of me get her to get up and move. When I picked her up she seems like shes gnawing at something thats not there.

2. Mrs SC

Mrs SC

I recommend that you get her in to see a vet ASAP and see what they can do for her. I wouldn't give up on her. They can do a lot of things for animals these days that they didn't used to do years back. Hope all works out o.k. My thoughts and prayers are with you!

;w ;w ;w

3. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

+1 Bro, sorry but that's the best you can do for now.
    Get her to the Vet right now!!

4. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

Definitely go to the vet. They should be able to remove any remaining tooth fragments, sew up the wound, and prescribe antibiotics to prevent any infections that may have gotten in while her mouth had an open wound.

As far as eating is concerned, if she can't chew hard foods anymore, you can soften kibbles up by soaking them in water.

Best of luck.

5. gh0st614

gh0st614

They recommended putting her to sleep so thats what my parents did :/

I really feel like a piece of me is missing now.

6. GAdobemom

GAdobemom

ghOst614, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it's hard right now but remember all the good memories you had with her. Also know ya'll did the most humane thing you could have done for her at this point. Keep your chin up and know the heartache will ease with time.

7. DennisP

DennisP

Ghost,
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, your parents did the right thing. In time you will really understand it but for now, I am sure it is painful for you and I am sure you are full of doubts and questions. Your friend is in a better place, and with out pain.

A fellow GT person posted this and I wish I knew who said first because they deserve the credit.

Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened. Admittedly it sometimes easier to say then to do but the thought does help. When I find myself sad over the death of my doberman (Samson) I always think about that quote and it makes me feel better.

Good luck
    Dennis P.

8. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

Everything that lives, eventually dies... its how we (and/or our pets) live that matters most. In the end, we are all reunited with our loved ones, 2 or 4 legged. You'll see your friend again, hopefully a long time from now. Rest assurred, however, that until that time, your friend is playing fetch with God himself...

An interesting thought: God must have an awfully large bed for all these dogs and cats to sleep on, huh?!?!

One thing to take away from this terrible experience is this: animals need to see their doctors on a regular basis for overall check-ups... dental and otherwise. Your friend was real old, so this may not have helped anyway, but in the future, ensure that your pets get regular and consistent check ups. This will help prevent an untimely passing.

God bless.

9. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

gh0st614,

Hang in there bro, be thankful of the relationship you had and know in your heart it was the right thing to do.
    I am so very sorry.

;w ;w ;w ;w ;w

10. sarge40

sarge40 Huge Member

Wow, I'd be tempted to get a second opinion, but I think your vet might be right. Its saddening, but I'm sure she'll be waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.;w Sorry ghost

11. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

I am sorry for your loss Ghost........

I hope you all get another pup soon.....;w ;w

12. gh0st614

gh0st614

Right now we just cant afford another dog and with me leaving for basic in the next couple months I dont think my parents want to deal with that. I was the dog person not them. If I could have done something differently I would loved her 20x more. I gave her all I could towards the end and I still feel like its not enuff. The guilt is killing me, I almost feel like I killed her but then I think about how greedy and wrong it would be to keep her alive.

Today has been a real emotional rollercoaster, thanks for the support GT ;c Heres one on me.

13. sarge40

sarge40 Huge Member

Ghost, first of all, don't blame yourself. All living things move on. It sounds like you loved her enough and she lived a good life under your watch. Secondly, clear your head before you get to basic. You will need a clear and sound mind to make it through easily. They'll be screwing with your mind and you don't need some preoccupation to make it worse. Shes in good hands now. When you get back, you can think about getting another friend. Best of luck. One for you and the pup!;c

14. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

Sorry to hear that ghost. Prayers are with you. I lost my cat Friday evening (Feline leukemia.). ;w

;g

;8 ;I

15. gh0st614

gh0st614

Im sorry Walter, losing a pet is very painful. I know my pup is still with me here in spirit :)