GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Crazy this came up today.... I just took a Sony Triniton 33" diagonal out of my basement today ...heavy as hell and son in law had to help me roll it end over end up the stairs. I didn't weight near that much 15 years ago when we took it downstairs. I had to take it to a recycle center and had to pay them $40 to take it.......

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
BEST BUY will recycle it for you - for a fee.

But then they turn right around and give you a coupon.

The coupon has no expiration date and it has a value equal to the recycle fee.

Apparently there is some reason that they have to charge a fee?

But it evens out in the end - as long as they have something that you want to buy someday?

·
Registered
24,663 Posts
About 10 years ago (maybe 15) - I managed to get our 36" GIANT FAT HEAVY old TV onto my wheeled dolly and out to the curb just before trash pick up came by -

The truck stopped and grabbed the trash bags - but left the TV - I couldn't even throw it away!

My neighbor comes over and ask if it still worked - I said yes - but we got a flat screen -

He said he was going up to his deer hunting cabin and wanted a TV up there to catch the news - but was afraid if he put a nice new one up there someone would steal it.

I helped him load it into his truck - it took both of us to lift it.

He said the picture was pretty good - even though he was using an antenna (no cable) and he was 100% sure nobody would even bother stealing it.

Reactions: cbetts1

·
Kwisatz Haderach in Training
3,902 Posts
If it has a FANTASTIC cabinet you might be able to sell it. People like the cabinet or just the old, seasoned wood. I’ve repurposed or salved wood from several old TV and stereo cabinets.
My uncle pulled the dead guts out of one and installed a smaller portable tv into the cabinet.
I do like the aquarium idea.

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,368 Posts
I would sure like the vacuum tubes out of it. I have a tube tester, and can use the good ones.

Reactions: Caver 60

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
BEST BUY will recycle it for you - for a fee.

But then they turn right around and give you a coupon.

The coupon has no expiration date and it has a value equal to the recycle fee.

Apparently there is some reason that they have to charge a fee?

But it evens out in the end - as long as they have something that you want to buy someday?
I’m sure a lot of people don’t use the coupon, even of they thought they would. It’s likely just a marketing strategy to entice people into using their recycling service. Would love to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Aunt had one of the original projection TV's way back in the day. When it eventually crapped the bed we used the cabinet for a lizard cage for a while. The best part was there is some sort of magnifying lens in the thing...I think they called it a Fresnel lens...way cool. You could take that bad boy outside on a sunny day and focus the light into a tight beam. Burnt the paint off the hood on a 66 Olds in less than 10 seconds.

When the wife saw that she made me get rid of it. Didn't trust me or the boys left alone with this thing. lol

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
You could take that bad boy outside on a sunny day and focus the light into a tight beam. Burnt the paint off the hood on a 66 Olds in less than 10 seconds
That needs to go in the Bug Out Bag for when giant ants attack! They'll be in for a surprise!

·
Premium Member
3,486 Posts
If it has a FANTASTIC cabinet you might be able to sell it. People like the cabinet or just the old, seasoned wood. I’ve repurposed or salved wood from several old TV and stereo cabinets.
That is a great idea.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Aunt had one of the original projection TV's way back in the day. When it eventually crapped the bed we used the cabinet for a lizard cage for a while. The best part was there is some sort of magnifying lens in the thing...I think they called it a Fresnel lens...way cool. You could take that bad boy outside on a sunny day and focus the light into a tight beam. Burnt the paint off the hood on a 66 Olds in less than 10 seconds.

When the wife saw that she made me get rid of it. Didn't trust me or the boys left alone with this thing. lol
I had forgotten about those. We had one for a long time. The picture got bad so we bought a new TV and gave the projection TV to a friend. He opened it up and dusted off the three projectors and the picture was as good as new.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What do you do with these old HUGE HEAVY TV's,
Remember the Zenith 200 # old ones?
They're useless and no charity will take them (can't say I blame them, they certanily can't sell it)
put it out to the curb, 2 maybe 3 days before trash pick up.

the scavengers will tear it open and clean out the metals, making it much lighter for the trash workers to pick it up and toss it. or you can then take it back inside, paint it, put a flower vase on top of it and tell the Mrs, she has a new coffee table.

·
It ain't over
7,982 Posts
Years ago I was getting a new flat panel and wanted to throw my 32" tube type. As the OP said, nobody would take it. I slid it off of the stand and onto a dolly. I wheeled it out to the deck and onto the bed of my truck. My local land fill satellite site has a metal shipping container for all electronics. Bye bye boat anchor.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
What do you do with these old HUGE HEAVY TV's,
Remember the Zenith 200 # old ones?
They're useless and no charity will take them (can't say I blame them, they certanily can't sell it)
Find some kid in your neighborhood who likes to fiddle around with old electronics. This way when he's taking it apart with a screwdriver he'll learn what a capacitor does ;)

21 - 40 of 68 Posts